awf

where is the rex topic gone?

We had discussion about REX and SF, but the topic vanished, is there a particular reason?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That topic was already way to long and slightly getting out of control IMHO.

Since the topic started, some fixes have already been provided by REX, making that topic "unnecessary".

I'm sure you can start a new one sharing your experience with the latest builds.

That description could apply to many threads on this forum so doesn't seem like a good reason to delete it. There must be a more satisfactory explanation.

18 minutes ago, awf said:

We had discussion about REX and SF, but the topic vanished, is there a particular reason?

Emotional ($,€) reasons I guess 🙄

Perhaps related to a REX staff member stating a new update was released that subsequently didn't appear. I can see how removing that statement would prevent further confusion.

Posted (edited)

The first topic with only 685 posts to read through remains.

Unfortunately, the urge to add posts that reflect the unthinking personal opinion seems to be irresistible

and inevitably leads to what could be helpful topics being closed or removed.

Edited by Reader

@Reader Agreed that it was a slightly parallel discussion, but there was some unique content on the deleted thread. The remaining EF thread doesn't indicate a fix for SF.

Indeed so, which is why it is such a shame that the spurious comments that no

doubt led to its removal could not have either not have been made in the first place or edited out.

52 minutes ago, awf said:

You mean the REX bashing thread? AVSIM members are better than that.

• Like 5

I don't think that is an accurate description for all of the content. But since it's gone, that's a moot point.

not  really   at  the  end  it  was

Could it be that there is a dedicated support forum for REX products.

That's unfortunate. If it breached the T&Cs then deletion was justified.

@rjfry That would be a justified comment, except that a REX staff member posted an announcement of an update here but there was nothing on the REX SF forum at the time.

• Upvote 1

Yes announcing an update is not same as the support for the product, that's on the REX forum, much like P3D the devs have an official support forum but not here on Avsim .

True, except there was nothing on the REX support forum at the time.

• Upvote 1

An update that breaks a working version is a cause for concern. But, some used that as an opportunity to vent. Let them know how you feel at their forum. They do listen to their customers.

If anyone is using REX SF (v5.0.2019.116) I would stick with that one. I need a full download. I can't find my back up and I recently did a full reinstall of P3D v.5 HF1. Anyone can share, I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

I agree venting is wrong, but the OP and associated comments were about the deletion of the thread, not REX support.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, DJJose said:

An update that breaks a working version is a cause for concern. But, some used that as an opportunity to vent. Let them know how you feel at their forum. They do listen to their customers.

If anyone is using REX SF (v5.0.2019.116) I would stick with that one. I need a full download. I can't find my back up and I recently did a full reinstall of P3D v.5 HF1. Anyone can share, I'd be grateful.

should be  a  update   tomorrow being Monday, besides   think that  wouldn't  be  approved  on  what your  asking  for  some  one  to  share

Posted (edited)

Thanks gentlemen, was more that there was some useful discussion in that particular threat about the update for SF (not the bashing), so not talking about EF 😉 

Tim from REX was kind to update us to in that particular one, anyway thanks clear now will head over to the REX forums.

Edited by awf

This is the reason we have so many companies getting away with slipshod results and simmers paying the price. It does not matter that rex is fixing it or even if they have fixed it, the truth of what happened needs to be available to the 3 or 13 year old who will become a flight simmer so they can be an informed simmer/consumer. Most simmers do not want to struggle with situations, when they are a consistent part of a company's way of doing business.  

When complaints happen - that part of history gets erased, so the new flight simmers never hear the history and then they get burned (no refund/no recourse). The tragic cycle continues.

There were many valid and truthful complaints, erasing them does not help this community. If they were plain lies then fine.

Just keep in mind there are lot of plain lies and plain complacency on favorable posts too, yet they remain.

The last 10 years, I would venture to guess that there are many thousands of truthful and valid complaints that have been eliminated just here on Avsim. Add the rest of the forums and its likely millions. No wonder we are stuck with so many products that fall so short...you want a list?

Accountability of developers (in the quality/value department) is almost totally absent, but simmers cant even whisper a complaint, or the hammer(s) come down. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

The reason, Paul, is very simple and I already wrote about this elsewhere: some of the developers and many of us simmers are mentally still stuck in the early to mid Nineties, when simming was a hobby for a bunch of enthusiasts. Those enthusiasts then started to develop addons, for free and in their limited free time. Back then, the attitude some still have was totally appropriate: no criticism, only little advice, but mostly being grateful for another addon appearing.

Nowadays, developing and selling addons became a business like any other business. And to me, since this switch, the same rules should apply (but do not...). REX is not a bunch of enthusiasts developing a freeware addon, they make solid money with it. And as such, they are responsible for their product and customers can put on their demands, criticism and advice as they can for any other software developer/reseller.

Imagine the behaviour of some of the addon developers and resellers in a true business world, e.g. in the office field: "oh, sorry, we messed up the email software. Well, be happy that you have at least one, we will fix it soon and do not even dare to ask for a release date. It will be ready when it is ready, until then, either do not write emails or use the old version full of bugs".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

While i agree that unwarranted bashing of a company and its products shouldnt be allowed in a moderated forum, most replies i've seen in this thread pretty much just confirmed what i observed during my first two weeks as a Rex customer. I bought EF and SF at the same time, my first two Rex products...and i'm currently not sure if this number is ever going to increase...

Removing the entire thread instead of selectively deleting hate posts is especially unfortunate given the fact that the official Rex forums are restricted to existing customers. So any potential buyer will have a hard time to make an informed purchase decision if public forums start to remove reports, observations and experiences from existing users

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Imagine the behaviour of some of the addon developers and resellers in a true business world, e.g. in the office field: "oh, sorry, we messed up the email software. Well, be happy that you have at least one, we will fix it soon and do not even dare to ask for a release date. It will be ready when it is ready, until then, either do not write emails or use the old version full of bugs".

Flightsim world in a nutshell! The only place where a paying customer has to apologise for expecting support for a product that "only cost 30 USD" (like the recent "Pilots" thread). This isnt aimed at REX though, they really seem to be dedicated to get all issues resolved, although communication leaves a lot to be desired

• Upvote 1

Simple guys - just vote with your wallet.  All problems will improve.  Money speaks period.

Capitalism is a great thing.  I do not invest in certain companies at all (one of them has crappy support, and other one just makes sub standard stuff).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1