eslader

Toying with picking up the Samsung Odyssey. Thoughts?

Posted (edited)

I've been planning on going VR once 4k headsets are out, reliable, and don't cost a house payment. But I'll admit the Samsung is kinda tempting at around 400 bucks, occasionally on sale for even less. I've found some old first-impression threads about it, but nothing recent. Anyone have it for awhile and have good/bad things to say?

I'm running a 1080Ti and a Ryzen 2700x. Getting pretty great framerates right now with the sliders mostly toward the right, Active Sky/Cloud Art, and a bunch of Orbx and Flightbeam sceneries, driving 4 HD monitors. I only slow down slightly in places like LAX or NYC. Can I expect a significant performance drop if I were to grab an Odyssey and a Leapmotion? Are there better options in that price range, or should I stick with my original plan and let the tech mature a little more before I start spending money?

Also, my idea is to build dummy controls (yoke/throttle quad) in my woodshop, and try to position them where my hands will go naturally to them based on what I see in the headset. They'd move like the real thing, just not have any electronics in them. I can't imagine enjoying holding my arms in the air with the hand controllers for a whole flight.

Dumb idea?

Thanks!

Edited by eslader

I have one and love it. It is my first set so nothing really to compare it to. I have a 1080 minus the TI and it works well. I do use Saitek panels and controls and with a bit of feeling around, I can use them. I prefer that over the VR controls generally.

I have Leap Motion but don't use it. I fly GA so it really is to too useful, but maybe with the heavies. I don't recall Leap Motion killing my framerate. 

I think you are trying to use dummy controls with Leap Motion, I am not sure that would work well. Camera views and angles would change the positioning of where you would feel, so I suspect it would get awkward. 

I would recommend a Rift S instead. Comparable, if not better, visual quality and much improved software. 

• Upvote 1

And the Reverb along with Rift S  is getting a lot of attention over at DCS and are really the only two simmers are interested in. I haven't dipped a toe yet but getting close

The problem with HP is that it uses WMR software if I am not mistaken. There are multiple compatibility problems when coming in and out of VR when using civilian sims. It’s a mess...

6 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

The problem with HP is that it uses WMR software if I am not mistaken. There are multiple compatibility problems when coming in and out of VR when using civilian sims. It’s a mess...

I didn't know that and most definitely want Civilian and Combat as well. Maybe the Rift S is the only way to go certainly good reviews

Interesting insights. I appreciate all the responses.

So what are people using for controls if they want to interact with what they see on the screen? Are they really hovering their hands in mid-air to work the throttle/stick/yoke? 

11 hours ago, GCBraun said:

What issues?

I have ZERO

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, eslader said:

Interesting insights. I appreciate all the responses.

So what are people using for controls if they want to interact with what they see on the screen? Are they really hovering their hands in mid-air to work the throttle/stick/yoke? 

Dude seriously...use the HMD specific Reddits....

I own the LeapMotion, Reverb and the Odyssey Plus along with all 5 major flight sims.

If the Rift S was better than either I wouldn't have returned it and bought a Reverb

Here man...or PM me..or hop in our VR Discord for information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/

Edited by blueshark747

On 6/8/2019 at 4:56 AM, GCBraun said:

I been using Samsung Odyssey+ with X-Plane 11 since November and I haven't faced any issue.  It just works. 

2 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

I been using Samsung Odyssey+ with X-Plane 11 since November and I haven't faced any issue.  It just works. 

Yup owned mine since January most reliable tracking and software I’ve experienced thus far. Like you said it just works!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sims Smith said:

The problem with the Odyssey is when you get in and out of VR which causes, for instance, the loss of sound with the FsLabs airbus, among other planes. 

10 hours ago, GCBraun said:

The problem with the Odyssey is when you get in and out of VR which causes, for instance, the loss of sound with the FsLabs airbus, among other planes. 

I have used TBM 900, AFL KA 350, Zibo, JustFlight Hawk + PA and all default aircraft but so far haven't seen this issue.  WMR has sound mirror you may want to look into. In the X-Plane dot org VR forum, I haven't see much complains where there are a lot of WMR users and quite the opposite.  In future I am planning to pick up either Valve Index or WMR  HP Reverb.  If I had any doubt with WMR I would have dropped HP Reverb. 

On 6/8/2019 at 6:10 AM, GCBraun said:

I would recommend a Rift S instead. Comparable, if not better, visual quality and much improved software. 

@Braun,

Do you use Rift S with VSync on in P3D or off? ASW on, auto or off? What about the Nvidia Control Panel settings? 1/2 refreshrate or what setting do you use? VSync on or off? I´m curiuous because I´m using my new Rift S too and it seems to lock at ca. 20 FPS (hz) in heavy scenery like Frankfurt with PMDG, QW 787, ORBX, ASWeather and REX SF and REX EF with no further shader profiles or tools like PTA in use. Sometimes it starts to stutter. In air I get 25/30 FPS or even upwards.With the Odyssey Plus P3D locked at 28/30 FPS (hz) at FFM and 40 to 50 FPS upwards. it was also smoother. I set my 4k monitor to 30 hz also and reduced the P3D window size to not be to demanding while flying in VR: Maybe you can PM or Post me your Traytool settings, NV Control Panel Settings and P3D Settings (Vsync, Locked or Unlimited Frames). Screenshots would be fine too. I am on a 8700k and 2080 ti with 32GB RAM at 3000mhz. OC my RIG to 5.1 GhZ, HT is off. Would be nice to compare some settings and get some feedback from the community. I know we are not comparing apples here. My only goal is to get a smooth sim, regardles the FPS! Everything above 22 FPS seems fine to me. Thanks in advance! Marcus

@Braun,

Do you use Rift S with VSync on in P3D or off? ASW on, auto or off? What about the Nvidia Control Panel settings? 1/2 refreshrate or what setting do you use? VSync on or off? I´m curiuous because I´m using my new Rift S too and it seems to lock at ca. 20 FPS (hz) in heavy scenery like Frankfurt with PMDG, QW 787, ORBX, ASWeather and REX SF and REX EF with no further shader profiles or tools like PTA in use. Sometimes it starts to stutter. In air I get 25/30 FPS or even upwards.With the Odyssey Plus P3D locked at 28/30 FPS (hz) at FFM and 40 to 50 FPS upwards. it was also smoother. I set my 4k monitor to 30 hz also and reduced the P3D window size to not be to demanding while flying in VR: Maybe you can PM or Post me your Traytool settings, NV Control Panel Settings and P3D Settings (Vsync, Locked or Unlimited Frames). Screenshots would be fine too. I am on a 8700k and 2080 ti with 32GB RAM at 3000mhz. OC my RIG to 5.1 GhZ, HT is off. Would be nice to compare some settings and get some feedback from the community. I know we are not comparing apples here. My only goal is to get a smooth sim, regardles the FPS! Everything above 22 FPS seems fine to me. Thanks in advance! Marcus

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

@Braun,

Hello Marcus, I use pretty much default settings all-round, being it on Oculus SW or on the Nvidia Control Panel (never messed with the refresh rating there).

I must say that I do want to get into this tweaking fest that you are describing. Luckily I have been experiencing good performance with my mid-to-high settings on both simulators that I use. The only thing that I sometimes change is the pixel density, which in XP11 I set to 1.5 and in P3D I leave on default due its worse performance in some cases.

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 7:41 AM, mpo910 said:

@Braun,

With GCBraun on this one. You have to unlearn all the tweaking stuff you used for 2D. They don't apply anymore with VR.

I use unlimted frames, no vsync, no config tweaks, no HD textures, max 1024, no NVIDIA inspector. All tuning is just sliders going leftwards. This seems to work best. If you are reasonable with your settings, it will work. You have such a powerful rig it shouldn't be a problem.

Traytool supersampling with the Rift S can be set much lower than the CV1 due to the signifcantly increased base clarity. I use ASW to auto. In conclusion, no messing around

Edited by andreh

As a complete newbie Im starting to get excited about VR.  One question that is not answered clearly on google and that's do I need a Monitor with a VR headset?

4 minutes ago, zmak said:

As a complete newbie Im starting to get excited about VR.  One question that is not answered clearly on google and that's do I need a Monitor with a VR headset?

Well,I would say yes. VR comes in after you started the VR app (SIM, Oculus, Steam). To do this, you will need a monitor. Is that answering your question? cheers Marcus

Posted (edited)

I'm glad I started this thread. I've learned a lot already.

Let's do a hypothetical question and pretend I'm made of money. Cost is no object. Is it possible to get a setup where I fire up the sim, put on the headset, hold physical controls (yoke, rudder, throttle quad - they do not necessarily have to be functional controls if whatever's tracking my hands can handle the input side -- I know the rudders would be actual controllers) that are connected to a structure that supports them (so I am not playing hover-hand for 4 hours with the hand controllers) and perform a satisfactory flight without taking the headset off? This includes things like reaching up to flip a virtual switch on the overhead in the virtual cockpit, or turning a knob on a radio. Assume that I can move the physical controls to correspond with their location in the virtual cockpit. If this is possible, what would that setup be?

Side question: Currently I run a 4-monitor setup. Sim's on the main monitor. Stuff like Navigraph, etc are on the other 3. Can I still see what's on those monitors in the virtual environment? For instance, the 747 has a chart table. Can I create a "window" on that chart table that displays what's currently on the Navigraph monitor?

Edited by eslader

3 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Well,I would say yes. VR comes in after you started the VR app (SIM, Oculus, Steam). To do this, you will need a monitor. Is that answering your question? cheers Marcus

Yeah thanks. Does the screen resolution on the monitor make any difference?

5 hours ago, zmak said:

Yeah thanks. Does the screen resolution on the monitor make any difference?

Only optic. So it is up to you.  Not related to any VR requirements