Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Do you already have flights planned?

Here we are debating streaming without anything concrete to base it on. 

It all boils down to this, we don't know anything beyond what we can prove and that is minimal at best.

I think that rather than dissecting every frog that jumps out of the pond we speak to the ones that are the biggest. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Well, here's the deal.  People without internet limits have no reason to be concerned, and it's easy to be insensitive to those who may have problems.

Compare it to the past where people were more likely to ask, "Will this run on my computer?"  Now it's more like, "Will this run over my Internet connection?"  Same question, really.  But I can buy a new computer.  I can't upgrade my Internet, and I'm not going to change residence.

No, we don't know how they are going to do it.  I'm willing to wait and see.  Everything else is pretty exciting.  But this will be in the back of my mind until we find out one way or the other.

The key in all this is "sensitivity to other people's problems."  It's not like I'm getting my kicks stomping on other people's dreams.  *YOU* aren't going to have any problems.  *I* might.  If I don't, great.  Wait and see.  Cautiously optimistic, and who knows what the future might bring.

This doesn't hold a candle to watching my wife slowly going blind.  But we still get the occasional derisive "You don't look blind to me."  You have to live with this kind of thing to understand it.  Reading about it isn't enough.

Understand now?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

We know nothing about their plans as it relates to streaming - or even if streaming of "anything" is even happening.  And if it is, it's required..

This whole discussion feels incredibly premature.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have I been anything but optimistic about everything about the new flight sim except one item that could affect me, but not other people?  

MSFS is the best thing that could happen to flight simming.

And this thread started out with me detailing flights I've already got planned for it.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

I don’t think you’ve been off track at all I just don’t even understand why we are talking about streaming whatsoever.

We just know not a single thing about their plans here so even worrying about it is premature. No?

• Like 1

The subject of this topic is about planned flights. Let's get back on topic please. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Is there some reason I'm getting this much flack over a concern I have that really only affects me when there are people on this forum bashing everything about the new sim?  People who complain about everything there is to complain about and a good many things that aren't.

Why am I being criticized for thinking, "Hm, this might be a problem for me"?  I end up getting bashed for wondering if I'll be able to run the new sim.  Because there hasn't been any Official Word yet?

Consider that my technical background is different from yours, and I often see things in a different light than you do.  I spent an entire career trying to identify possible problems with computer programs and find solutions.  For example, you can't maintain a large payroll system by saying "We don't know that will be a problem", you have to fix it before it becomes a problem.  Getting it wrong is not an option.

A flight sim isn't at that level, and anything I see that I think might be less than we expect isn't even worthy of mention.  

Dear Gawd, I'm not bashing the new sim!

Hook

Larry Hookins

I have a lot of things planned for the new sim in any case.  

I've already experienced what can happen in P3Dv4 with Active Sky if you try to fly near a thunderstorm.  It ain't pretty.  I had been used to pretty much ignoring thunderstorms in P3Dv2.5 but found out very quickly that you had to respect them in the newer sim.

I wanna see what happens in MSFS.

Icing is another thing.  I've done fairly extensive research into FSX/P3D icing effects and have had 3 or 4 forced landings due to airframe icing.  I've learned to respect it.  Some people don't believe it even exists, or complain that it's not modeled exactly like they think it should be.  But you may change your mind after your first forced landing.

I wanna see what happens in MSFS.

Lighting looks good.  The clouds look good.  I hope they have real time real world weather plus the option to use historical weather or a weather theme if you prefer.

And I hope they have all the activities for newcomers that Flight had, plus a few more.  Even if they're only in Hawaii.  That's the one thing I miss from P3D these days.

A lot of things to check out any time you get any new sim, or new version of an old one.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Flight allowed you to get out of your plane and walk around.  P3D has an avatar mode to allow that as well.  I used to land somewhere in Flight and explore on foot.  Some of the textures were a little less than stellar up close, and I'm very interested in seeing what they look like in the new sim.  I haven't even bothered in P3Dv4.

I want to land somewhere and watch the sunset and how the shadows act.  I did this for an hour in Flight once, watching the city lighting slowly change from day to night and the shadows of distant hills creep up the buildings.   The overall effect was great, the details were a little less so, and I want to see how it has improved.

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

Thanks, Paul.  That is the kind of information I was looking for.  I only fly smaller aircraft out of smaller airports, so I'll be looking at those, and the kinds of scenery you see while flying those planes.  I was wondering how the airliner people would be looking at it.

I really cannot be considered to be an "airliner people" - I fly every kind of commercial and GA aircraft available, everywhere available. 

Its just that them dense areas tell me most of what we all need to know. If its smooth in them areas, bush flying and island hopping will have no trouble.

3 hours ago, irrics said:

Wouldn't it be nice to not have to do an analysis and performance vetting of every add-on that gets strapped on to the base program?

Yes it would be nice, but I avoid kidding myself.

If this new sim is so simple that it does not tax a high end system, then I'm not likely to be interested. But, I leave room for excellent and efficient coding that performs very good with lots of complexity. Either way, if this new MSFS has the potential to replace P3D for me, then I will put it through the paces I described. Like a chief test pilot of sorts, to get ready for day to day ops.

------------------------------

This helps me to learn the sim along the way. Expecting troubles, so if they happen, this helps to keep calm. Getting the overall feel is very important to me as well. This also is a major reason why I have very few problems with my sims, because when its worth it, I learn them very deeply.

• Like 1

You guys are cracking me up..

"keeping calm with troubles" 

"getting the overall feel"

"learn it very deeply"

Guys.  I say this lovingly...  this is a game.  A flight simulator is a game.

There are no inherent real world implications to "troubles in the sim..."

Lives are not at risk if a Windows Update brings down the long haul flight from KLAX to KORD

Why would you need to be "expecting troubles" so if they happen... you can "keep calm"?

Reboot the computer in case of a problem?

I'm sorry - I don't mean to be mean - it's just like ... this a computer game.

Are we maybe being a bit "too serious" here?

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

I'm gonna do what I always do when I install a new flight sim. Test my local airport and fly to see if I can find my house. 😉

• Like 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

1 minute ago, irrics said:

You guys are cracking me up..

"keeping calm with troubles" 

"getting the overall feel"

"learn it very deeply"

Guys.  I say this lovingly...  this is a game.  A flight simulator is a game.

There are no inherent real world implications to "troubles in the sim..."

Lives are not at risk if a Windows Update brings down the long haul flight from KLAX to KSFO

Why would you need to be "expecting troubles, so if they happen"... you can "keep calm"?

Reboot the computer in case of a problem?

I'm sorry - I don't mean to be mean - it's just like ... this a computer game.

Are we maybe being a bit "too serious" here?

If you ever have taken the time (possibly a couple hours) to plan a 16 hour flight only to end up with a CTD at any point in flight, then you would know what I mean. 

It's not that you're being mean, its that you lack experience. That is why you cannot comprehend or understand.

I said it before, I will say it again - I'm here at Avsim because flight simming is very important to me, why are you here? 

@pracines

Thanks for the clarification.

I do mostly bush flying.  I may explore cities.  If I land at a large complex detailed airport, I expect a lower frame rate occasionally and ignore it.  The only frame rate problem I have currently is weather related when there are a lot of clouds.  It's not enough of a problem to dial back the cloud coverage though. 🙂

@irrics

Who is being serious? 😄 <-- is THIS the face of a serious person? 🙂

I didn't care about OOMs until I started getting them, then I cared very much and researched the heck out of it.  I got it solved just before I got my favorite plane converted to work in P3Dv4 and I missed the virtual memory monitoring in much the same way you miss a toothache after it goes away. I got over it quickly though. 😄

Hook

Larry Hookins

@pracines

I'm here because I enjoy flight sims and aviation (It's my profession and passion after all).

I understand you care deeply about your gaming experience and it going smoothly..

But I still don't understand why you'd need to "remain calm in case of problems with the sim" though?

What will happen if you don't remain calm?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but how can your temperament "under pressure" help alleviate an issue with the computer/sim or a memory problem cropping up and/or whatever the issues are that might cause a CTD and end your long flight?

Can you "save the situation" and "avert the CTD" if you remain calm?

• Like 1