Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Do you already have flights planned?

2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

Currently I am making a trip in a Cessna from Alaska to Southern California, just to get the hang of flightsimming again.

Before you fly Alaska in MSFS, check out Google Earth and check out how green it is. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Pretty sure, my first flights will be in areas I am rather familiar with just to get a feeling of how the AI is working and setting buildings, trees, etc. Then surely I will fly over my house  and compare both scenery details and the weather depiction to what I see out of the window (roughly of course). 

But then, I am actually planning to fly a lot more routes via different countries and continents, which I have not so far, Surely a lot more VFR as I am doing now, more bush flying, more exploration in more exotic places and see how the mix of photoscenery and AI detection is working - also and especially in areas not covered that well in current sims.  I think of Asia, Africa, Southern East countries, South America, instead of North America and Europe where I currently fly. 

Yes, I am aware that there will be issues to be expected (data sources, satellite quality, maybe the AI detects a cloud and considers it to be a building or lake or maybe there will still be landclasses in some areas where photoscenery quality is bad, but maybe the AI will still be able to "build" houses and roads in a convincing way (at least I hope and expect more of a plausible world than hundreds of square miles with the same repetetive texture pattern without any signs of roads, settlements, etc..). 

Even without photo scenery, the data in Bing Maps should be good enough to determine at least medium and larger city structures, so that these areas should be fine to be built by an AI even without 100% crisp photo images etc. So I am not expecting every single building on this planet to be reflected correctly in shape, colour and height (and I wouldn´t even be able to verify it for 99.9999998% of all houses anyway), just important that they are somehow reflected in a convincing way to make me believe I am flying there. That´s enough to keep my exploration will going...

So, realistically speaking, I do not expect that Asobo can identify all issues on the entire globe and correct it manually, but will have to rely on the AI to process it plausibly. It would not make sense otherwise, at least if you want the scenery to be updated regularly without checking the whole world f.e. for cloud images in satellite data everytime again and again and again and...😄

• Like 2

Been noodling on this ever since I heard Microsoft was bringing back Flight Sim.  Aside from the obvious flying over my childhood home, flying over my current home, etc. the first big flight I'm going to make is an adventure I've always wanted to do in real life, flying a general aviation aircraft from the heart of Europe all the way to the tip of Arabia:

• Starting at one of the picturesque grass strips in Switzerland (Gruyeres, Thun or La Cote)
  • Over the alps to Dubrovnik, a popular jumping off point for GA pilots venturing into the Mediterranean
  • Dubrovnik to Aqaba, Jordan (one of the ME's biggest general aviation hubs)
  • Aqaba to Sharjah (right outside Dubai)
  • Sharjah to Muscat, Oman

Will definitely use the TBM 930, one of the few aircraft that has the combination of range, speed and STOL capability required to accomplish the mission.  This flight has always intrigued me because of the incredible contrast between origin and destination.  Hopping in your personal aircraft at a small green airstrip in the alps, and ending up at a hyper-modern international airport in the Arabian Desert.  Doesn't seem like it should be possible to do in a general aviation aircraft but it is!

tumblr_ni22arEDkh1rs32uko1_1280.jpg

11337332874_0030911e81_b.jpg

Edited by nateFlyer
  • Like 1

After checking out my home area, lots of GA flying, probably starting where I had ORBX scenery, like southern British Columbia, the Trans-Canada Highway from Vancouver-CYXX-CYCW-CYHE-CYLY-CAZ5-CYKA-CZAM-CYRV-CYGE-Calgary. Southeastern Alaska. West coast of the US. With much of the world outside of what is currently covered I imagine Papua New Guinea, Africa, Southeast Asia. Should be good for several years of exploration. I don't care the least about famous landmarks being represented, just hope for fairly realistic land class.

• Upvote 1

Some mountain hopping in Austria and my standard routes: LOWW-EDDK-LSZH

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

In all honesty, I'm not planning any flights until I get into the sim, and then I'm just going to hop around the world flying into and out of small bush strips!  I will do some flying local to my home too of course, especially out of airports I've flown out of in real life.

Once I get the sim and experience it, THEN I'll start my planning in real time!

I've done a few of the flights I mentioned and have been quite impressed.

An odd power fluctuation took down my internet for a day, both the tower and the device on my end, so I had to do an offline flight.  

The sim had no problems with it, the scenery looked quite good, and the "few clouds" weather theme actually looked very good, better than I've ever seen in a weather theme.  I was impressed.  If I had to fly that way from now on I wouldn't be disappointed. 🙂

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 1

Larry Hookins

Can I remind those who are lucky enough to be testing MFS that an NDA has been signed. Care should be taken to ensure you do not break your agreement with Microsoft.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I’m planning a lot of flights. But maybe I shouldn’t, because the wait is becoming more and more unbearable ... :s 😄

First of all I’m planning a lot of historical flights, which depend on some historical aircraft becoming available like the DC-3, DC-6, B314 Clipper and C-87.

Those are:

(1) first transatlantic passenger route in a Boeing 314 Clipper, June 24th 1939: Southampton-Foynes, Foynes-Botwood, Botwood-Shediac, Shediac-Port Washington

(2) first transatlantic passenger jet route in a DeHavilland Comet: London-New Foundland, New Foundland-NYC

(3) the flights carrying the microfilm of Shostakovich’s 7th symphony for the American premiere of same in DC-3 and C-87, April 9th 1942: Samara Russia-Tehran Iran, Cairo Egypt-Accra Ghana, Accra-Recife Brazil, Recife-Miami, Miami-Washington DC

(4) SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) polar route, first transatlantic passenger flights crossing the polar circle in a DC-6, November 15th 1954: Copenhagen-Kangerlussuaq Greenland, Kangerlussuaq-Winnipeg, Winnipeg-Los Angeles

(5) the flight from the film: “Flight of the Phoenix”, starring James Stewart. Jaghbub Libya-Benghazi Libya in a Fairchild C-82

Otherwise I will start around the smaller airports in my native Denmark. Cruising all the islands. From here on I will probably go to the middle of Sweden and Norway to find the beautiful unspoiled nature. Then a little safari in Botswana and South Africa, and then explore the middle of China and the Peruvian rain forest. All this in my favorite plane, the DA40.

I’ve never done any flight simming before and all this started with the possibilities of exploring the world when I saw the first Development update describing the world. Now I’m deep into learning how to fly a plane from online sources and YT. 

Microsoft is doing so much more than a flight simulator with this sim, and the community will undoubtably grow because of people like myself who will get introduced to the world through interests in world exploration, weather, machines, navigation or any of the other components they’re perfecting.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kaha said:

I'd want to fly the route discribed in this book:

"Flight of Passage"

For the full effect, fly it first in your current sim.  This will give you something to do while waiting.  It will be a totally new experience in MSFS and will really highlight the difference.

I enjoy flying routes described in books.  I've flown "Flight of Passage", "The Cannibal Queen" several times (FSX, P3Dv2.5, P3Dv4.5), "Travels with Puff" back when it was still on Richard Bach's blog, and the Tyrone Power DC-3 flight described in "North Star over my Shoulder."  All have been good.  "Cannibal Queen" was the best.  These flights are better if you have the appropriate aircraft and that will have to wait in MSFS.

"Flight of Passage" - A2A Piper J3 Cub
"The Cannibal Queen" - Golden Age Simulations Stearman, 2 versions
Tyrone Power flight - Manfred Jahn C-47
"Travels with Puff" - Searey from Discover Arabia

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Just so people understand and we're all on the same page, the entire point of this exercise is to make flights you've done in your current sim to compare what they're like in MSFS.

A secondary purpose is to explore the best parts of the MSFS world.

Hook

Larry Hookins

One to cross off the bucket list:  Neuschwanstein looks better in the sim than it does in that video referenced earlier.

Hook

Larry Hookins