Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Do you already have flights planned?

On 6/17/2019 at 9:54 PM, F737NG said:

If there are contiguous areas of photo scenery, you can bet that I'll be flying amongst them.

The entire world appears to be one contiguous area of photo scenery.  With appropriate buildings and vegetation.  Of course, I haven't been *everywhere* yet. 😄 

One apparent difference between flying over P3D land class and MSFS photo scenery is the incredible variety of terrain you see in MSFS.  A land class terrain only has so many different tiles, but it can still look very good.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Bush flyers are gonna *love* MSFS.  I just landed on something that looked like a runway (but wasn't) going up the side of a steep hill.  I'm gonna have to practice that technique.  Flying from Sparrevohn through the Merrill Pass, landing at 9AK3 which wasn't depicted as an airport in the sim but had a nice flat spot in the right place, then up to Talkeetna and the Ruth Glacier on Denali.  All this in a Cessna 152, which is pleasant to fly.

My house was reasonably well done and matches actual aerial photos well enough.  Two houses on 5 acres in the country, and they even had my barn.  Google Earth shows a black rectangle that is one of my cars, and that was just a black spot on the ground of the right size and shape. 🙂 

The world is not perfect, but it's close, and they're not done yet.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

5 hours ago, LHookins said:

a Cessna 152, which is pleasant to fly.

If you can without breaking your holy vows (some are watching on this forum 🧐) can you elaborate ? How do you spell « pleasant » ?  Like A.2.A . or like C.A.R.E.N.A.D.O. ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

47 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

If you can without breaking your holy vows (some are watching on this forum 🧐) can you elaborate ? How do you spell « pleasant » ?  Like A.2.A . or like C.A.R.E.N.A.D.O. ? 

Well, see, there was this Cessna 150 back in 1971 in Rockwall, Texas... 😄 

Honestly, I doubt we'll be getting A2A depth in any default MSFS aircraft, but the C152 is the only thing I've flown so far.  Maybe "pleasant" as in M.I.C.R.O.S.O.F.T.  F.L.I.G.H.T.

They've talked about updating the flight model in some of the patch notes, so not everything is finished yet.  I can't predict what they might do between now and release.  I don't have enough experience with the 152 in enough conditions to determine if there's a living, breathing engine under the cowling, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I haven't seen anything to disappoint me.

One thing I will say, the cockpit is darn pretty.  And I enjoy flying it.  @Arwen says it's her favorite aircraft in the sim.  I guess it's mine too. 🙂 

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

On 7/11/2020 at 9:32 AM, LHookins said:

The entire world appears to be one contiguous area of photo scenery.  With appropriate buildings and vegetation.  Of course, I haven't been *everywhere* yet. 😄 

One apparent difference between flying over P3D land class and MSFS photo scenery is the incredible variety of terrain you see in MSFS.  A land class terrain only has so many different tiles, but it can still look very good.

Well, yes.
My post that you quoted is over a year old, not long after the E3 announcement. We've had just a little bit more info from Asobo since then... 🤦‍♂️ 😀

There are very few areas I'm willing to fly over in landclass in P3D. Much happier with photo scenery.
In many regards, the new sim is going in the right direction.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

No. I guess it'll be a looong time before it becomes more interesting to me (globally) than what P3D is right now.

The alphas look superb, but that's all there is to it: No online yet, no proper aircraft yet, so, yes, a long time before the environment gets more complete.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

16 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

No online yet, no proper aircraft yet

... not released yet. 😄 

If the only thing you ever fly is jet airliners you aren't going to care if Stonehenge is modeled.  You'll never see it anyway.  If you never actually look outside the cockpit... well...

Online:  I suspect the multiplayer system will lend itself quite well to VATSIM et al.  Lots of flexibility there.

Aircraft:  Yeah.  Give it a few years. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Just to clarify, when i said "online" i meant IVAO or VatSim for whoever uses that network.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I keep seeing things that amaze me.  Lots of details on the charts that didn't appear in P3D are in MSFS:  Solar farms, wind turbines, a racetrack, rail yard with warehouses, all marked on the charts but I'd never seen them in P3D.  A golf course in the right spot.  Not everything is there and you'll still see an occasional flight-sim-ism, so don't expect perfection.  But it's really good.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Too many planned - so much of California, Washington, Alaska, Nepal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Japan, and even Africa (who would've thought?) to explore. And the list goes on, of course. Planning to do longer-range hops in whatever biz jet they give us at release (I'm praying for a big Citation with G5000), then at the destination switch over to the C152 or the 172 and take it low and slow. Saving up vacation days 🙂

My first flight: KUGN-DLL-KOSH-KUGN on a summer afternoon with cumulus clouds 6000 AGL, light wind and a tinge of haze. It was my long solo XC trip when doing my PPL in the C152. One of the most memorable experiences of my life.

-Elliot

• Like 2

Intel Core i9 10900k @ 5.1 GHz / Asus Maximus Hero XII / Nvidia RTX 3090 FE / 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 CL16-16-16-36 / Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB NVMe / Noctua NH-D15 / EVGA Supernova 1600 T2 / Honeycomb Alpha Yoke / CH Pro Pedals / Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant / HP Reverb G2

I'm going to fly a circuit about 250 NM around my home base of KOLV. I'm going to stay low no more than 5000 FT AGL and do lots of landings and takeoffs from small airports along the way to get the feel for the much more realistic flight model. I'll do morning afternoon and night  flights with real time weather to experiment with the thermal modeling and cloud build up related to daytime heating. I will probably fly either the G58 or the G36. Can't wait!

• Upvote 1

I'm gona aim for the second start to the right and straight on till morning 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I recently signed up for onflight and started using with the alpha (surprisingly onflight already has native support for MFS even in alpha) and it works flawlessly. So when MFS release version is out I'll be continuing to build my company in onflight and explore the routes.

Nothing like flying into airports you wouldn't normally think of and seeing the area as you would in real life. No approach is the same. So much to explore!

• Like 1

Circumnavigate the coastline of Australia, starting/finishing in Sydney (YSSY).... 25,000+ km, should be long enough to try out quite a few of the aircraft.

Then fly Sydney to Colombia, visit all my Cam "girlfriends" 😍 🤔 🙊   Don't tell my (ex)wife 🤣

Edited by MatthewS
  • Like 1

Matthew S