Sign in to follow this  
Thac

I really want VR support in MSFS2020. What about you?

VR support is a must. I feel like a lot of the negative comments regarding VR are from people who haven't experienced a solid gen 2 VR setup. There's a big difference between an HTC Vive/Oculus Rift CV1 running a minimum or mid-range spec PC and a Valve Index running an i9 9900k w/2080ti at 144Hz. It's the difference between a stuttering/blurry mess and a crisp/smooth ride with readable gages. A lot has changed with VR in 3 years but it comes with a hefty price. Well worth it IMO but without experiencing it there's no way to find out. The HP Reverb is even more crisp, but comes with big trade-offs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

To me, VR is interesting.  I use it in DCS, and I would never go back.  Even the not so great resolution of the original Rift is still a game changer, but I think it's because of the combat aspect.  I'm not sure, even as rabid as I am about how awesome VR is, if I'd want it for an 8-hour airline flight... too uncomfortable and doesn't add enough for me personally.  But VFR?  Pattern work?  Bush plane - VR all the way!  I think the HP reverb resolution is amazing, and I don't personally care about the controllers because I only use VR for simulator games, i.e. seated VR.   I have no interest in room scale VR and I don't use controllers much at all, preferring mouse interaction.  I'm 50+ so that's some more data too.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, royalwin said:

I'm not sure, even as rabid as I am about how awesome VR is, if I'd want it for an 8-hour airline flight...

To be honest with you, I"d rather stab myself with a knife than do ANY simulation for 8 hours of real time - but that's just me. (to each our own)

LOL

More seriously, there are amazing use cases for VR in MSFS 2020 even if it won't be of interest to all users.

Helicopter flying alone is INCREDIBLE in VR.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

VR for me isn't there yet, I tried at Cosford last October, I enjoyed it but it still has a long way to go, IMO it's still at least 5 year away.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

I love VR and use it most of the time when I fly in both P3Dv4 and X-Plane 11. I showed it to my brother recently and he is now interested in getting into flight simulation, where before he didn't really care about it. I also have two co-workers coming over in a couple of weeks to show them and they seem really interested. I know one of them will be getting set up. He just cannot decide between X-Plane or P3D.

• Like 2

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Its VR or no buy for me..I could never go back to 2d pancake vision, no matter how glorious and 4K the graphics are.

Nothing beats the native stereoscopic 3d and tracking/immersion of presence as sitting in a full 3d cockpit and flying through real 3d clouds .

2D could never beat 3d depth and convergence.

If the the new MSFS exe isn't locked down like all the other distributed Windows Games titles...VR will def happen with or without Microsoft.

The Devs of Flyinside will work on a VR Injector like they have for the other titles.

https://flyinside-fsx.com/

From Reddit.......

2jakorq.png

For all you VR naysayers you really have no idea what you are missing out on once you learn to do VR correctly.

Here are some vids I've made below...unfortunately there is no way to show folks the true beauty of VR without first hand headset experience.

These little 2D 30fps 720p recordings do the experience no justice but you get the idea.

Actually imported Little NavMap inside of my cockpit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w0_iNwDB8m4a9xVLBOglxOw6_9WjXjeg/view?usp=sharing

LeapMotion Hands(tech is there just needs optimization from sim software devs)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CdkXTdANgJo2U00_L_uerAmUFBhaE4iS/view?usp=sharing

Flight Over Cuba

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16N40pCEpWm0qOmQ1Obk2ayR54UDTP4-y/view?usp=sharing

Can climb in and out of your cockpit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15f7msZuII6ek9qqX2fz38_kckY7so29E/view?usp=sharing

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

@blueshark747

I totally feel you.

The beginning of the end of current simming for me was P3D/XP VR experiences early on where I ended up quitting because the headset tech wasn’t there yet for me to see gauges from a normal position. 

Just this year I was planning to get back into it with a reverb, and then the MSFS announcement came, which has just put everything on hold for me for now. 

It’s really hard to be excited about 2D simming again after experiencing VR

As for me I could care less about VR.  I fly with multiple monitors, Saitek controls, panels, switches, plus some other stuff.

Ernest Pergrem

I cannot go back to monitors for flight sim. Over the years I invested thousands in scenery, aircraft and all the high end controllers offered, probably over 10k for MSFS. But once I got a taste of VR in x-plane with the Zibo 737, I quit flight sim, even un-installed it as of now. I gave away most of my hardware. Using my hands in the cockpit to push buttons and flip switches is the most immersive experience ever for me. And this is coming from 3 curved 4k monitors. The biggest problem I had with flat setups is seeing what is behind me in a realistic fashion, using a hat switch isn't very immersive, turning my head is literally "as real as it gets". Also reaching out and seeing what I am about to touch is amazing. The only thing comparable is a full cockpit reproduction that can run into the tens of thousands. The problem with that, beside the cost, is I am stuck with whatever cockpit I built. If I built a full 737 cockpit and want to fly a cessna 172 I'm not going to feel very immersed in my sim. With VR I can load a 737 with full cockpit, then switch to a Piper cub and in both situations everything will be where I expect it to be in the real world. 

For those with VR that have trouble with blurry textures, I highly recommend OTT or the Oculus tray tool at 1.5 resolution scaling. In x-plane scaling the resolution doesn't affect the performance since the code for the simulation is the most problematic portion for frame rate. My 1080ti barely works hard at all running around 50% utilization where my overclocked 5.1ghz i5 7600k is pinned at 100% all the time. I maintain 45fps even in the most dense scenery and with asynchronous re-projection the sim feels solid.  

• Like 4

i5 7600k @5.1 ghz Liquid cooled, 1080ti Duke 11GB, 32GB DDR4 3400, 8TB m.2 PCIE NVME array intel 660P X 4, Oculus Rift, TM Hotas, TM TPR rudder, 

I agree that  VR support is a must for a next gen simulator. I‘ve never tried flight sim in VR myself, but I‘d love to give it a try as soon as  technology‘s advanced enough in regard to performace and resolution. Last year I was on the verge of buying an Oculus Rift. I tried it in a shop with a racing game and although the experience was fantastic as far as immersion‘s concerned, the graphics were just too poor for me. I couldn’t even read the speedometer. So I scrapped the idea.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Why do anybody think a new flight simulator would be released without virtual reality?

I do not think that I will use it, do not like the idea of being shut out of the real world sorrounding me. 

As linked earlier in this thread x-plane users do not use it much. 

Are there any of the existing simulators which do not support it?

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey Oculus rift, the most popular headset, is used by 0.44% of steam users.

Apparently it is not main stream, but on interesting  way of playing, and I am sure it will develop.

Edited by Vindeballe
Steam usage

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

7 minutes ago, Vindeballe said:

Why do anybody think a new flight simulator would be released without virtual reality?

I do not think that I will use it, do not like the idea of being shut out of the real world sorrounding me. 

As linked earlier in this thread x-plane users do not use it much. 

Are there any of the existing simulators which do not support it?

Well, MS didn't really show much enthusiasm for VR so far. Xbox still doesn't support VR (although its expected to change with Project Scarlett) and, apart from Minecraft, i can't think of any VR supported game in their portfolio. So far they solely focused on Mixed/Augmented reality with their HoloLens HMD, which is aiming for commercial and professional market rather than being a consumer product.

However, given that seated experiences like flight-sims are a perfect application for VR, i'm pretty certain that MSFS will get VR support sooner or later, especially if they plan to release their own XBOX branded headset to compete with PSVR

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure VR support is a given at this point but I doubt I'll get into it.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

+ 1 for Vr support! Flying Sim while in Vr is the closest thing to actually flying! (for me at least) 

My Oculus Rift CV1 is not the best in terms of resolution but I have tried the new Rift S and the screen is noticeably better!  I also have heard great things about the new HP Reverb though. the tech is still moving forward so I hope Vr is a default feature.

Edited by Trevor2497
  • Upvote 2

Currently the best headset for MSFS2020 is HP Reverb. It’s as sharp as looking at a 1080p monitor. Pimax 5K+ is also very good for flight simulation. It has much bigger FOV but the image clarity suffers from that even though it has “5k” resolution. At the end of this year Pimax will release 8K X, which will use dual native 4K resolution panels.

Just imagine FOV 180 degree + dual native 4K + MSFS2020...that will bring flight simulation to a whole new level. In no way should Microsoft miss this bright future.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1