Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Screenshot comparison - FSX vs FS2020

Yep, very realistic, BUT, I miss some lights on the terminal buildings (those KLAX, tower? purple lights...) and some lights over the TARMAC (light Poles and so...) 

I added a view from Google Earth at the bottom.

fs2.jpg

p3d2.jpg

capture10-1.jpg

1t9yQNB.jpg

• Like 5

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Very impressive. I just worry we will need 6.0 or higher on the CPU and who knows what on the GPU.

Might be interesting to see a comparison with Marseille in France VFR, if someone has this and is good in taking shots.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

After staring at these for hours, I conclude that we are not in bad shape now. It all depends on the individual simmer desire. Sure, I like good scenery, emphasis on "good". But I would trade good aircraft, good weather, and good airport models for high quality landscape. I want the terrain accurate, but I don't really care if I can't find my town, my street, my home. Other guys want high res scenery. That's great. I fly a lot at 370, other guys fly VFR low and slow. This is what makes this such a great lifelong pursuit. Bring it on MS !! 🙂

11 hours ago, Wink207 said:

After staring at these for hours, I conclude that we are not in bad shape now. It all depends on the individual simmer desire. Sure, I like good scenery, emphasis on "good". But I would trade good aircraft, good weather, and good airport models for high quality landscape. I want the terrain accurate, but I don't really care if I can't find my town, my street, my home. Other guys want high res scenery. That's great. I fly a lot at 370, other guys fly VFR low and slow. This is what makes this such a great lifelong pursuit. Bring it on MS !! 🙂

Ooops. Typo. Should have said "...would NOT trade good aircraft, good weather, and good airport models for high quality landscape...." 🙂

• Like 1

Really after 13 years we should be seeing this huge leap in scenery technology, imagine the huge disappointment if it looked like FSX again! I hope Microsoft can pull this off. The clouds and lighting also make a huge difference. 

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

I think most of us use FSX with third-party scenery (ORBX, etc), so it would be fair to see a comparison between 2020 promo and FSX with ORBX, for example. Same goes for weather, enhanced by third-party REX .

I doubt the difference would be that striking.

I think the real advantage of the new sim would be obvious if the default package will already start from the same level of FSX+ORBX+REX+A2A+etc, at a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the headache ...!

But I am not that optimistic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kermit_70 said:

I think most of us use FSX with third-party scenery (ORBX, etc), so it would be fair to see a comparison between 2020 promo and FSX with ORBX, for example. Same goes for weather, enhanced by third-party REX .

I doubt the difference would be that striking.

I think the real advantage of the new sim would be obvious if the default package will already start from the same level of FSX+ORBX+REX+A2A+etc, at a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the headache ...!

But I am not that optimistic.

I agree with all. I run FSX with GEX/UTX/ASN/REX and so on. I run LOD=6, and Autogen on Very Dense. I flew over to Marseille and made a screen capture of the point shown above. It looks much better than the stock FSX shots but not as good as P3D and Orbx. I have no way to upload it though. But none of those look as real as the MS2020. But then france89 posted the google earth shot and that amazed me. Note in particular that MS2020 captures the transition to shallow water. I would be great if MS2020 starts out at FSX+++++

Rick

Edited by Wink207

9 minutes ago, Wink207 said:

It looks much better than the stock FSX shots but not as good as P3D and Orbx

You think the best one of those screenshots is the P3D one?

19 minutes ago, irrics said:

You think the best one of those screenshots is the P3D one?

The "It" in the sentence you quoted above from Wink207 refers to the screen shot Wink207 took himself. At least that's the way it reads to me.

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

2020 simply looks amazing and even better than the Google Earth shot! Really looking forward to this release.

• Like 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

1 hour ago, ark said:

The "It" in the sentence you quoted above from Wink207 refers to the screen shot Wink207 took himself. At least that's the way it reads to me.

Al

Correct Al. I was trying to say my system looks better than the stock FSX (it better after thousands of dollars spent:), but not quite as good as P3D with Orbx. P3D has no real LOD constraint and I give Orbx the nod over GEX/UTX in this setting.

• Like 1