Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Is it going to be a "distributed FDM" ?

8 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, but the offline mode may be massively limited. What's the point of purchasing a next generation flight simulator if you are going to use last generation graphics?

Possibly because we want a next generation flight simulator.

As for how limited it may be, let's wait and see.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

A downloaded version we just don't know at the moment but if it`s true that the data would fill 22,000 blue ray disc that's a lot of data.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, but the offline mode may be massively limited. What's the point of purchasing a next generation flight simulator if you are going to use last generation graphics?

Two reasons. First, it would expand the customer base to those who don't have a fast enough connection for the high-end graphics, or who want to fly on a laptop while traveling away from good Internet service. More sales means a better chance that MS will continue supporting the sim in the long term.

Second, not everyone values eye candy the same way. Someone buying the sim mainly to practice IFR procedures may not give a hoot about fancy streamed photogrammetry-based cities.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

14 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Well, if it is some sort of landclass system, with modern lighting and particle fx (i.e. natural haze / fog / cloud effects), plus the close-in resolution effects we've already witnessed in the promo, then I can see it not being last gen graphics, and a definite step forward.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I don't care for fancy graphics. Even multi-million dollar flightsims have rather poor graphics.

I'll be using the new flightsim as a FLIGHT and not as a scenery simulator. 

It's the FDE and the systems I'm interested in.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, but the vast majority of the target market (including a significant number of "study level" flight simmers) do care about fancy graphics. It's a significant part of the immersion factor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Maybe their actual target market is some of the 2019 2nd quarter 64 million XBox users?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

2 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Maybe their actual target market is some of the 2019 2nd quarter 64 million XBox users?

Well they will be disappointed as project scarlet New XBOX is not due for release till 3nd quarter 2020 at the earliest.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

I don't care for fancy graphics. Even multi-million dollar flightsims have rather poor graphics.

I'll be using the new flightsim as a FLIGHT and not as a scenery simulator. 

It's the FDE and the systems I'm interested in.

I don't care for ultra-detailed flight model. Even multi-million dollar flightsims have rather limited flight models, differing from the real aircraft.

I'll be using the new flightsim as a FLIGHT and not as a physics or systems simulator.

It's the realistic graphics, weather and sounds I'm above all interested in.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I want systems and graphics. Most of the daily services I use (including some games) are already in the cloud anyway. My rig is already connected to the internet 24/7 so I do not get the fear of cloud based technology.

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

1 hour ago, Flamingpie said:

Makes you wonder why LM spend 95% of its time on improving the graphical part of P3D.

Well, LM carried over some of the very basic bugs from FSX (and even older bugs), like the horrible turboprop simulation, the totally unrealistic leaning simulation etc.

If they would really consider their graphically improved flying game an actual training device, they should have concentrated way more on improving the systems and FDE design instead of improving the graphics.

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1

They should be concentrating on improving everything if they intend to release a next generation flight simulator (and let's face it, what are they doing back here if that is not what they want to deliver)?

EDIT: Just an update to say that this is not a criticism. I think that they have done a great job so far with respect to communication with the flightsim community, and I look forward to future updates. Demanding that everything is laid out on the table at this stage is just silly.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Distributed FDM... no thanks, I can just imagine the stutter when my daughters are watching Netflix and I'm trying to do some simming.

It wouldn't surprise me if FS2020 is a "stutterfest" anyway as the scenery is streaming from Azure (I think).

I imagine FS2020 will be subscription based and all third party add-ons must be sold through a MS store with MS taking a 33% cut.

They are not developing FS2020 for the love of it, that's the marketing spin they'll put on it, but ultimately they are steering development in whichever way milks the most profit from the community.

Matthew S

1 minute ago, MatthewS said:

I imagine FS2020 will be subscription based

Come on! really? they already said "no subscription", what do you need???

5 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Come on! really? they already said "no subscription", what do you need???

Where does it say this, link please?

So you're telling me that I pay say $50 and then have free life time access to streaming scenery from Azure? I don't think so.

Matthew S