Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

In-game VS Satellite

18 hours ago, GlideBy said:

So maybe the AI added rocks?  Hard to tell with the fisheye.

The AI does not add anything, the Azure AI does not create scenery or anything of that sort. It fetches specific data by scanning imagery, if it is asked to (footprints, vegetation zones etc.).

Then if the data has zones defined/tagged as xy, the procedural algorythms in the scenery generator of Asobo's engine (not Azure AI) will place xy 3D elements or 2D decals. 

In this case, it is possible that the Zone was detected and tagged as something like "sparse vegetation" or "sparse forest" etc (just examples). And then the defined rules in the procedural engine will add probably other factors like Region vs Vegetation Type etc and combines all these rules to select and apply a specific 2D or 3D element to represent the area there.

Of course the margins of errors from the detection to the rules to the available assets to deploy there will create some effects that are not 100% the equivalent of the real place (or Bing details).

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Moonachie and New York, USA

IcKyilw.jpgLwU29xI.png

I'm pretty sure it's here. I wouldn't stake my life on it though.

• Like 6

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Are you a image detection software?

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

It wasn‘t my merit. Someone tweeted it was NY in the background.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Claviateur said:

The AI does not add anything, the Azure AI does not create scenery or anything of that sort. It fetches specific data by scanning imagery, if it is asked to (footprints, vegetation zones etc.).

The AI is what decides where things go, like trees and buildings.  The Asobo engine renders them.  So the AI can add them to the data for the engine to render.  The AI doesn't fetch data on the first time through.  The first time, it will look at the photo and use deep learning AI to find objects.  Then, presumably, it will save that info so it doesn't have to be recalculated again until the source photo changes.  Thus the mistake was in the AI, as the render engine is just doing what the AI data told it to.      Also, seems this is the third time we have had this conversation, or maybe it was someone else.

Lastly, the rocks maybe there on purpose, for aesthetics.  May not be rocks either, as it is hard to be sure with the fish eye.

30 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

The AI is what decides where things go, like trees and buildings.  The Asobo engine renders them.  So the AI can add them to the data for the engine to render.  The AI doesn't fetch data on the first time through.  The first time, it will look at the photo and use deep learning AI to find objects.  Then, presumably, it will save that info so it doesn't have to be recalculated again until the source photo changes.  Thus the mistake was in the AI, as the render engine is just doing what the AI data told it to.      Also, seems this is the third time we have had this conversation, or maybe it was someone else.

Lastly, the rocks maybe there on purpose, for aesthetics.  May not be rocks either, as it is hard to be sure with the fish eye.

Yes now I see what you mean... And sorry I forgot if I had this same conv with you or someone else 😕 

But then these rocks or bushes we see could simply be purely procedural... Thus they fall randomly there..

Not randomly : in many screenshots we can see that the autogen trees are placed exactly where a tree pattern appear on the flat surface (thanks to @Shack95 comparison job) 

Edited by divide

28 minutes ago, divide said:

Not randomly : in many screenshots we can see that the autogen trees are placed exactly where a tree pattern appear on the flat surface (thanks to @Shack95 comparison job) 

When I heard that first, I didn't pay much attention to it. I didn't believe that this amount of detail could be real. That they actually detect trees and place them accordingly. This is nuts. Even if it may fail from time to time.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

32 minutes ago, divide said:

Yes whenever there is a tagged data zone the procedural algorythm will place the associated asset in the zone.

But in the case there is no data or specific tags, the procedural algorytms can apply different levels of random rules to fill empty areas with plausible assets. 

In the screenshot of Japan, the infrastructure (autogen) does not match the aerial image infrastructure. Most probably, this was done with a random procedural process to fill areas with no footprint data.

The same principle is used by 3rd party tools like sceneProc (a procedural tool for FSX using OSM data) : https://www.scenerydesign.org/scenproc/
or for the other sim there is also a procedurall app that follows the same principle (it processes data when available or you use random rules to fill areas with no data).

Edited by Claviateur

5 minutes ago, tweekz said:

When I heard that first, I didn't pay much attention to it. I didn't believe that this amount of detail could be real. That they actually detect trees and place them accordingly. This is nuts. Even if it may fail from time to time.

I just mentioend Arno G. ScenProc tool for FSX he released few years ago. It had an auto detection process for imagery 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

In the screenshot of Japan, the infrastructure (autogen) does not match the aerial image infrastructure. Most probably, this was done with a random procedural process to fill areas with no footprint data.

It seems like it. For the few buildings that are placed accurately here it seems that OSM is the source. If I remember correctly you pointed that out before. Here’s a comparison with OSM.

BOAHxe3.jpg

The handful of more complex houses in MSFS are exactly the ones we can see in OSM. Where there‘s no houses in OSM we have inaccurately placed boxes in the sim. 

Edited by Shack95

3 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

It seems like it. For the few buildings that are placed accurately here it seems that OSM is the source. If I remember correctly you pointed that out before. Here’s a comparison with OSM.

BOAHxe3.jpg

Oh thank you for locating the exact area 🙂

Indeed so, the lots with footprints appear in the screenshots as they should and at the right spot, whereas the missing footprints in the OSM data are most probably replaced with random procedural processes.

This confirms that Asobo/MS are also using the OSM data. The question is, is this temporary until the footprint detection is done or will this data remain for a first release. Thus the OSM will cover areas where the in-house detection is not complete yet... And will footprint scanning ever go outside the already released data (US and CA)... Or maybe OSM will be the source like other sims... Let's wait and see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shack95 said:

IcKyilw.jpgLwU29xI.png

Brilliant spot mate.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

2 minutes ago, eaim said:

Brilliant spot mate

Thanks, but as I said, someone on Twitter found it out.

• Upvote 1