Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

In-game VS Satellite

52 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

It comes from the very few who know how to do it... 

Well, I programatically added riverbanking to all the water as my first XP Christmas project a few years back, it was a million times easier than anything I've ever done with ESRI Shape files or projected DEM data, and aside from a bug in their tools which was fixed pretty quickly everything worked exactly as described in the documentation.

Most payware scenery is bundling terrain patch files made with JOSM to polish satellite elevations and also seasons now as well.

So they weren't being honest for whatever reason.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

Please, let's not talk about XP here.

6 hours ago, Claviateur said:

The rock cliffs here are not from the Ortho but rather procedural. Or maybe the whole island is procedural. It looks a bit artificial with an airport like a sticker over it:

Good example with Juancho E. Yrausquin airport.  At least those cliffs are nice and steep.  So we know the engine can handle sharp elevation changes.

The cliffs do have a fake feel to them.  They look too uniform, there aren't any little details.  It looks computer generated.

It is worse if you compare to the real thing, which I know the sim can't be perfect, but it is a goal to strive for.

Juancho-E.-Yrausquin-Airport-Saba.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GlideBy said:

Good example with Juancho E. Yrausquin airport.  At least those cliffs are nice and steep.  So we know the engine can handle sharp elevation changes.

The cliffs do have a fake feel to them.  They look too uniform, there aren't any little details.  It looks computer generated.

It is worse if you compare to the real thing, which I know the sim can't be perfect, but it is a goal to strive for.

By the way, about this photo, can someone tell what exactly mean the two white crosses placed at each end of the runway ? Are not these crosses indicating an area unsuitable for aircraft maneuvering ?

Edit : I found the answer in Wikipedia The airport is officially closed to traffic reaction jets, propeller aircraft but regional airlines can land there as a result of an exemption from the authority of the Civil Aviation of the Netherlands Antilles . The aircraft that land there are most often Twin Otter and BN-2 Islander.

Edited by antier
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, antier said:

By the way, about this photo, can someone tell what exactly mean the two white crosses placed at each end of the runway ? Are not these crosses indicating an area unsuitable for aircraft maneuvering ?

Edit : I found the answer in Wikipedia The airport is officially closed to traffic reaction jets, propeller aircraft but regional airlines can land there as a result of an exemption from the authority of the Civil Aviation of the Netherlands Antilles . The aircraft that land there are most often Twin Otter and BN-2 Islander.

2 hours ago, GlideBy said:

Please, let's not talk about XP here.

It looks fake as well because breaking waves are entirely missing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlideBy said:

Thanks for sharing the real location.

Well, now I think we know why they created a procedural version of the Island instead of using the Bing Ortho like the rest of the world. Well, we can see a huge cloud blocks most of the island:
https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=038356e0-0605-4b72-910a-8a58528ecd3c&cp=17.638718~-63.24301&lvl=15&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

This is in my opinion yet another interesting demonstration showing another mixed technique/data that is involved in the creation of the MSFS world. Just like the OSM footprints being perhaps used vs available in-house footprints vs purely procedural placement of infrastructure, here we have a demonstration that a whole island is created with the procedural terrain and material technique the engine offers. Now the question is how many places are done like this island when the Bing Ortho is unusable?

Of course I much prefer the imperfection of the real world Ortho vs the artificial looking land.. But then the Clouds block it... And I believe this shows again that the AI's job is to fetch footprints and landclass data if it's set to do so but is not a do it all sort of magic wand... 

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

11 minutes ago, 767lover said:

It looks fake as well because breaking waves are entirely missing. 

You only see breaking waves if the ground under the water slopes up, or gently slopes up.  But if the terrain under the water is also a cliff, then there are no breaking waves.

This image may help explain it.  main-qimg-b626a7cb181bebd6e1b82b15e72041

The real image sho

34 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

You only see breaking waves if the ground under the water slopes up, or gently slopes up.  But if the terrain under the water is also a cliff, then there are no breaking waves.

This image may help explain it.  main-qimg-b626a7cb181bebd6e1b82b15e72041

The real image shows breaking waves. Furthermore, waves can break against the rocks.... 

51 minutes ago, 767lover said:

The real image shows breaking waves. Furthermore, waves can break against the rocks.... 

Sorry, my mistake.  😞  I thought you were talking about waves before the rocks.  You are right, they should break on the rocks.

Here is another MSFS image of the airport.

Island.png

And I looked through old screenshots for breaking waves right on the edge, and many did not have them.  But this one seems to, from Jan 16th.

TECH-ALPHA.png

Edited by GlideBy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GlideBy said:

And I looked through old screenshots for breaking waves right on the edge, and many did not have them.  But this one seems to, from Jan 16th.

TECH-ALPHA.png

These are most probably part of the (Bing) aerial imagery and not dynamic breaking waves. 

Edited by Claviateur

4 hours ago, Claviateur said:

These are most probably part of the (Bing) aerial imagery and not dynamic breaking waves. 

Maybe.  But Juancho E. Yrausquin airport in Bing also has breaking waves.  So it is interesting that one has them, and not the other.

4 hours ago, GlideBy said:

Maybe.  But Juancho E. Yrausquin airport in Bing also has breaking waves.  So it is interesting that one has them, and not the other.

I have the feeling the different graphic setting possibilities in the Alpha testers' setup have something to do with all what we are trying to observe.

Asobo on the other hand, could only reduce or remove a setting if the feature is not ready yet or being fixed because of a certain bug.

Edited by Claviateur

I also noticed that the Asobo procedural equivalent of this Island, has this "mezzanine" where the airfield is located, more or less leveled. While the real photo shows that the runway was built to be more or less level but not the terrain on which it sits.

HzUH84A.png
RvTmFWQ.png

Edited by Claviateur

Capture.jpg

Anybody figured out which island this is?