Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Getting a little worried with what FS will actually be

7 hours ago, shivers9 said:

ME!!!

You don’t also jump up and down telling that like some  😁 ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

21 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

Okay, I know I'm old and British,

YES! The Following Will Be In FS, Eventually

Okay, I am French but old too and I hate the word « eventually ». Patience is a virtue that only the youngsters can afford 😏

I want the flamingoes (code word for ATC and seasons) NOW !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, n4gix said:

I suspect that list of "partners" will consist of where the new cloud system, grass and trees, etc. came from rather than a list of 3rd parties who so far have only had brief contact with MS/ASOBO AFAIK.

Or the list of partners could look like that https://a2asimulations.com/ aircraft equipment manufacturers

Edited by domkle

Dominique

21 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I know over the history of the sim, every second one was bumpy, the others were really good

FS5 - good

FsW95 - Not so much

FS98 - good

FS2000 - Not so much (for those who don't remember it, a patch came out so quickly that they must have known on release that there were things they had to fix.  Without patching it, the program was almost unusable.)

FS-2002 - good

FS-2004 - excellent (bucked the trend)

FSX - we love it now but at the beginning there were a lot of complaints.

As such, 2020 should be pretty enjoyable.

Some say that trend of good, bad applied to windows releases too. and intel CPU's and graphics cards.

I wonder how much of that trend is real though. Perhaps it has more to do with expectations than the product itself. First release makes a good first impression and first impressions last. Expectations for the new version are high. First impression is bad because expectations are not meet. First impression last. Expectations for third version are low based on previous experience. Third version is much better than expected. Great first impression. Version 4 has a lot to live up too! Expectations are very high! So on and so forth. We humans are very fickle indeed. Seems to me that good, bad, good, bad trend is rather subjective and not an objective reflection of the iteration of quality of the product itself.

It's fair to say the expectations for MSFS 2020 are extremely high. My prediction is that when MSFS 2020 is released it will in fact be a monumental leap forward in the quality of Flight Sim for the home enthusiast that will inspire a new generation of Flight Sim enthusiast who will become real world pilots and MS will make a double killing on it when the X-box version is released. And it will be received by this flight sim community as a product the did not meet expectations and will therefore be exculpated.

Then all us old curmudgeons here on AVSIM will go on grumbling about how good thing where in the bad old days but the world will have moved on and nobody will care what we have to say about Flight Sim anymore.🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is receiving a very positive feedback outside of simmers community. I've even read comments on the like of: "I wish my (random AAA title) would look as good as that". Something unthinkable of, for a flight sim so far.

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

If the visuals are as good as they seem and the flight models (modelling 1000+ surfaces!) are far more realistic, I'd live with summer scenery forever.

As for ATC, AI etc, that's what 3rd parties are for.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, b737800 said:

... but would likely still require some support by the base game if they're to be done properly (especially regarding the interaction between AI traffic and ATC).

1 hour ago, b737800 said:

If the visuals are as good as they seem and the flight models (modelling 1000+ surfaces!) are far more realistic, I'd live with summer scenery forever.

I'm with you there. In fact along with that if the atmosphere is good i.e. there is accurately modelled and dynamic thermals where they belong under CU and sink, turbulence, Orographic lift, wave etc. given everything else I've seen along with the flight dynamics they are toughing, I'll spend most of my time soaring in it. All those thing are done very well in Condor2 the soaring simulator so it can be done. Heck I might even make a sailplane using the SDK 😍

The good part about having features in the base simulator is that they will have been developed with the official SDK. If third party developers have to do it......well, the end result would be anyone's guess!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, Dillon said:

Getting a little worried with a few items that haven't been focused on yet with only a few months until release (a short time in terms of major features to the sim being complete considering the five year development cycle). 

In some ways you've hit the nail on the head with the missing features many which were core to FSX but in many ways you've completely missed the focal point of the development or maybe you didn't miss it and it's the reason you are concerned and rightly so. They are clealy focusing on the 4 areas of the sim outlined in the DR, World, Weather Aerodynamics and Cockpits. Which to me is 100% correct as this builds the core foundation and many of these play off each other to give a simming experience far greater than previously possible.

Ok so the bad news, the fear is and as you rightly say AI, seasons, ATC and VR etc we've not had much information, well we have. We know seasons and at the moment VR will not be in the initial release. ATC and AI might be limited versions of previous incarnations until they build the feature set out. We know helicopters are not going to be included. You have to face the facts to improve things, you have to tear them down first and rebuild. It's what Dovetail faced and what Microsoft are now facing, there's no point whinning about it and throwing your toys out of the pram, this experience can complement exsiting titles until it matures otherwise you miss out on what it DOES have to offer and you'll be more the poorer for it.

Finally the development process isn't going to follow previous versions for Flight Simulator with releases replacing releases. That much is clear. The simulator will be iterated on and patched with new features much like X-Plane 11 point releases but there'll not be another new version of Flight Similator, this is it and it will improve over time with new and updated features.

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I didn't think of this, but you raise interesting points on the lack of mention of some things.  But we still have lots of time left before the release (certainly more than you think) and by the way I understand the dev team works, it may be the case that they will add functionality post release as well? Just guessing really but from the interviews they made it sound like they will continue dev work after release.

So if there is enough demand for anything, I'm pretty sure MS will implement it eventually. We just have to shout loud enough :).

On 10/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, b737800 said:

ATC is next to impossible for third parties to do correctly.

Just look at how long FSX has been out and every single ATC addon for it has issues with either AI management, VFR or IFR, robotic voices etc.. and none have done all better than the default!

• Upvote 5

Chris Camp

On 10/18/2019 at 7:10 PM, Casualcas said:

Which is the time frame people were praising Fly2. Now look what happened. 

Fly 2 was a sad let down. Released on April 26, 2001

https://www.old-games.com/download/6541/fly-2

R.I.P. Richard Harvey

Edited by BIGSKY
  • Like 1

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”