Sign in to follow this  
Amon1973

PMDG finished developing for Xplane

7 hours ago, dbw1 said:

Unrealistic price point? Just curious what in your opinion would be a realistic price point?

One more aligned with XP pricing....  Maybe 40-50 bucks.  Even now in XP land developers are starting to get outrageous with their pricing.

Some are still normal. Take for example Hot Start TBM900 - an amazing addon, very detailed, I think it was 65 bucks or so.  That's a high echelon addon....maybe one of the most detailed planes in XP11.  And is continuously being developed and updated.  The DC6 was basically abandoned with a lot of bugs.....not really the PMDG way imo.

• Upvote 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

To me too much fuss about PMDG. 

X-Plane really doesn't need PMDG and their tube liners; X-Plane has its own strenghts which makes it indispensable, unique and shining on the flightsim market.

• First keyword:  Helicopter flying !  Does PMDG helicopter? No; so I really don't care about Robert R. and his company.
  • Helicopter flying in X-Plane (particular the ones of Dreamfoil with Experimental Mode checked) is one of the best sim experiences I've ever made personally; unmatched and even above DCS and the R22 in AFS. Regarding the depiction of " as real as it gets " heli flying, there is no alternative on the consumer market currently; at least for us swivel-chair pilots.
  • Does any company on the market care more about correct flight sim physics?  For me: no one cares more about this essential ingredients for a decent flight sim than Austin and his guys.  And with update 11.40 R1 XPlane's developers have done a remarkable job regarding this topic; outstanding and one of the best of the best enhancements XPlane received the last couple of years.
  • Has any flight sim on the consumer market ever helped to produce a real world aeroplane?  Someone may answer "of course not,consumer market sims are not accurat enough, it would be rediculous."
  • But X-Pane did !  And According to this threshold article from Jannuary 2019:

“We are now in the middle of flight test, and the results are pretty incredible.”

How does the real airplane perform compared to X-Plane? As of now, the team is currently in the middle of real-life flight testing, and the numbers calculated in X-Plane are eerily accurate and incredible.

The “Required power for hover” closely aligns with X-Plane’s prediction as well as the predicted 20 degree forward vector, and the speed that was received with the vector forward about 20 degrees sits just a few knots from X-Plane’s estimation. "Flight-tests has been done so far at vectors from straight-up hover to 20 degrees forwards of vertical."

In truth, Austin concludes that the handling of the plane feels just the same in reality as it does in the sim, so the results are really great.

Link of the whole article:  Meet Ava: A real-life plane designed using X-Plane

And on Facebook you can find an article/work of progress update of the project:

50930246_10155833438941283_6324928711657

Yes, the plane has become real actually :biggrin:.

So who cares about PMDG and its overpriced addons ?  Sorry, but at least I don't care, even not the slightest.

All the best,

Konrad.

PS:  And NO Mr. Randazzo!  I'm not a X-Plane evangelist !  Just a humble user who is discovering its intricacies and craftiness more and more.

Edited by KBUR
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KBUR said:

So who cares about PMDG and its overpriced addons ?

I certainly don't, and enjoyed reading your post.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

4 hours ago, KBUR said:

X-Plane has its own strengths which makes it indispensable, unique and shining on the flightsim market.

This is the best post I seen yet.

Thanks for reminding everyone here as to what is really important in flight simulation.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 9:44 PM, JonRD463 said:

But the X-Plane community is still the better of the two major arms of the flight sim hobby. It represents, to me, something that got lost along the way to over-commercialization in the ESP-based side of things. There's still a vibrant and healthy freeware community and a sort of maverick vibe that just feels more organic and natural. I dunno... hard to articulate it, I guess. 

I tend to agree for the scenery side of things, but the aircraft side is not as varied and vibrant as it ever was for ESP. Unless helicopters, general aviation and 737NGs are your thing, then it might just be heaven. X-Plane is not quite easy to develop for thanks to a lack of concise, centralized documentation though. Information is all over the blog and forum and it's hard to find a good place to start from unless you're willing to indulge in tral & error. ESP did much better, albeit not perfectly, in that regard.

XP's major benefit compared to ESP is that it's open like a barn door after a hurricane. Most files are in plain text and Laminar even allows overriding their flight model from the outside, avoiding major hacks. This is an inviation for all kinds of shenanigans and experimentation, as is the inherent "let's see if this can fly approach" provided by Plane Maker.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

There are many great aircraft for x-p 11 out now....... Toliss A319, Hotstart TBM with the best G1000 i have seen in flight sim, LES Saab when the next patch comes out - that said it's pretty good right now, MilViz Turbo C310r......the list goes on. Lots more could be listed here. 

Dave

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bjoern said:

I tend to agree for the scenery side of things, but the aircraft side is not as varied and vibrant as it ever was for ESP. Unless helicopters, general aviation and 737NGs are your thing, then it might just be heaven.

Leaving out the 737NG, that "heaven" describes where I spend almost all my sim time flying in the FSEconomy game, which supports FSX, P3D (unofficially) and X-Plane.

Give me a selection of fast turboprop GA planes, some vintage radial-engine aircraft like DC-3's and Beavers, and a few helicopters, and I'm happy. I don't think I'm alone. Not everyone wants to simulate commercial airline ops in a tubeliner.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

11 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Leaving out the 737NG, that "heaven" describes where I spend almost all my sim time flying in the FSEconomy game, which supports FSX, P3D (unofficially) and X-Plane.

Give me a selection of fast turboprop GA planes, some vintage radial-engine aircraft like DC-3's and Beavers, and a few helicopters, and I'm happy. I don't think I'm alone. Not everyone wants to simulate commercial airline ops in a tubeliner.

I wasn't talking about payware.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days