Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

23 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

What does PMDG have that other devs do not?

600 page manuals! 😄 

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On 11/9/2019 at 1:51 PM, ryanbatcund said:

Ooofda...so not entertainment pricing haha!

Depends... if you are the one who owns their bank account it must be pretty entertaining. 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

34 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Are there any other devs that get close to them or even equal them? Leonardo (they make Mad Dog) for example?

FSLabs and Majestic Dash 8 Q400.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

$139.99 eh?

Is that with or without the lousy frame rates?

Study-level aircraft my word not allowed.

I wonder how many people own the PMDG 737, 747, etc, and have the faintest idea how to use it to perform a VOR/ DME Arc Departure?

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

Definitely not buying it. That's ridiculous, more than the game itself. I hope better developers will jump in and make a better 737 DLC.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sasyska said:

I hope better developers will jump in and make a better 737 DLC.

If they do, it'll probably cost more. 😄 

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Just now, LHookins said:

If they do, it'll probably cost more. 😄 

Hook

Why? Not everyone is that greedy. FS2020 will have higher playerbase so someone will definitely make a cheaper 737.

• Like 2

Pricing is not from this world. So, they do NOT want any new customers... 

If I've invested enough in making a better 737 than PMDG, you'd better believe I'll be charging more! Not because I'm greedy, but because I have to recoup my development costs.  Besides, PMDG has already set a price point that people will buy at, so if I'm making a better 737 I can charge more.

This is kind of how prices are set in the real world, especially on luxury items.

Hook

Larry Hookins

25 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I wonder how many people own the PMDG 737, 747, etc, and have the faintest idea how to use it to perform a VOR/ DME Arc Departure?

But hey ... they can claim to start a 737, 747 etc from cold and dark and pretend to be a glorified bus driver!

On a separate subject, I noticed that most of the 3PD aircraft announced so far, by the likes of Milviz, Iris etc appear to be re-hashed FSX/P3D planes. Someone on another thread said "beware the shovelware!" I will need serious convincing before spending money on any of these "ports", if that's what they are, including PMDG.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'll pass honestly their quality isn't worth that price point.  I purchased the NGXu for $99 for v4.5 but I ain't giving them anymore for what I used in P3D.

• Like 2

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

42 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Is that with or without the lousy frame rates?

It has been said that with the lower CPU utilization by the sim, it allows more CPU cycles for complex third party aircraft so they should have less effect on frame rates.

I have no idea, and no opinion, and I don't fly jet airliners so I won't be buying PMDG.  Unless they make a study level DC-3. 😄 

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

The issue is not the price. In my humble opinion they are worth the money. However, the issue is: 1st: you don't get the full package, so if you want to buy the whole thing with 600/700/BBJ you will easly pay more than $200 if not $250. Which is way to much. On the other hand, you don't have to buy i.e the 600/700, they are almost the same as the 800/900 and you can save money.

2nd: Back then the NGX was sold for, I guess $80 or something. With the P3D pricing policy they messed it up charging people the same amount. I don't use P3D, so I haven't bought any PMDG product for prepare. However, for all those you paid twice, for the same addon, it's unfair. The peak of all that is, they continue this policy with the new sim, which is not reasonable - since the so called different licencing system doesn't apply anymore.

If they hadn't take advantage of all the P3D users, I think their products would have been overpriced, but still justified.

Since I already have the FSLabs for P3D, I will buy P3D and use it for IFR flights with A320 and use the new sim for VFR flight, only. Will see, in general I think paying that amount for addon aircraft is ok, because you use the addon for some hundrets of hours. What I have a problem with is getting $40 charged for airports, you barely use it, just see it for takeoff and landing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Call of Duty made $600 million within its first 3 days of release. Two months later it had made $1 billion.

Assuming that every single active member on the PMDG forum bought the product at full price, total revenue for PMDG would be $462,000.

By the time licenses from Boeing, taxes, salaries of staff are paid for - and having developed an astonishingly complex aircraft and systems simulator (I think some people lack comprehension of how complex those systems are) I'm not surprised for one second that $140 is the price.

Also, as simulators increase in complexity and visual fidelity, the price will naturally increase. 15 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable for a panel texture in the cockpit to be flat grey. That takes as long as it takes to select and click on the paint tool in MS Paint. Now we naturally wouldn't accept less than proper weathering, color variations, paint chips, wear etc etc. Just think how much longer that takes for a single panel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, LHookins said:

It has been said that with the lower CPU utilization by the sim, it allows more CPU cycles for complex third party aircraft so they should have less effect on frame rates.

I have no idea, and no opinion, and I don't fly jet airliners so I won't be buying PMDG.  Unless they make a study level DC-3. 😄 

Hook

I know we've talked about it before but I wonder if Manfred's masterpiece C47/ DC-3 will ever make it in to mfs2020.