Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Gliding

An interesting video posted by @Raymond.Groenendijkwhich has been moved to the video forum  shows what FS20 gliding experience could be like.

This is something too much overlooked IMO. We focus on the scenery but having a real simulation of air flowing over relief will bring gliding simulation to a new level of realism.

Same by the way for very light aircraft like the Cub or vintage oldies of the 20’s.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/563977-ridge-soaring/

Edited by n4gix
Add link to video forum
  • Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Ah that's where it went, I didn't know there was a specific video forum. Does that mean that we aren't allowed to post a video over here to illustrate or emphasize a post about MSFS? 

Well anyway, glad you opened a topic for it to further discuss gliding in MSFS. When I first heard about the wind flowing over terrain and buildings actually being simulated the first thing that came to mind was of course ridge gliding. I'm very curious if we will be able to use it for this purpose and whether we will also see turbulence simulated on the lean side way over the ridge and things like that.

They also simulate turbulence from thermals over the ground from what we've seen if I'm correct. Now that sets the base for some really cool and advanced gliding simulation. As gliding is by far the most accessible way of flying (at least in my country) it would be really nice to see it properly simulated. With all the detail in the scenery it will finally also be fun to go on a trip with a glider. 

And indeed, the performance of the ultra lights will really depend on the same technology being available, so I'm curious to see where they can take this. 

• Like 2

It opens up a completely new type of flying and new set of challenges. (You can add paragliding as well - the absence of a cockpit gives the VR users even more submersion).

MSFS is going to change the way I fly in the sim for sure. A lot more light aircraft are going to be in my hangar.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

It opens up a completely new type of flying and new set of challenges. (You can add paragliding as well - the absence of a cockpit gives the VR users even more submersion).

I am a real paraglider since 2004 and never found a good Paragliding sim on PC, i would hang my harness in the room and put on VR glasses now that would be fantastic! 😎  I am really interessted how gliding will feel in FS2020!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

MSFS is going to change the way I fly in the sim for sure. A lot more light aircraft are going to be in my hangar.

So true. A lot of fellow simmers are unhappy to leave their favorite aircraft when moving from one sim to another. I understand that but don't share it.  Each iteration of the sim over the years has introduced me to different kinds of aircraft and landscape. I don't expect less from FS20 :wink:

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 hours ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

Ah that's where it went, I didn't know there was a specific video forum. Does that mean that we aren't allowed to post a video over here to illustrate or emphasize a post about MSFS?

Post videos in the video forum, then paste a link here to the video. This keeps all videos in one forum, but will allow discussion of the video here in the MSFS forum. Simple really! :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

Post videos in the video forum, then paste a link here to the video. This keeps all videos in one forum, but will allow discussion of the video here in the MSFS forum. Simple really! :laugh:

Check!

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

No link to go with that sage advice?

I'll have a hunt.

Well it won't bring a new level of realism to gliding in a simulator. There is the fantasticly real gliding/soaring simulator call Condor2 - the competition soaring simulator with VR. It's the recent followup to the original Condor which has been around for many years and is critically acclaimed by virtually all real world glider pilots, including me 😁. No doubt about it MSFS scenery and graphics are going to substantially surpass it. However if MSFS can simulate all the various types of favourable gliding conditions as well as Condor does I'll be very very impressed indeed.

• Upvote 1

If they add to the original thermal model, which is certainly something that had it's time, a new built one, and also as apparently already mentioned slope winds, but also other forms used by us glider pilots, like, breeze and convergenge, cloud streeting, etc... then, they just have to fix their flight dynamics model so that glider performance really mimics overall glider performance.

There are many limitations in today's gliders in FSX / P3D, not allowing for models to be used seriously ( like for instance in SoaringWings or Condorsoaring ) to properly be flown like their rw counterparts.

A typical limitation of MSFS giders is the polar when different weights are used, the reason why ballast is used IRL. Im MSFS  L/D always grows with speed,instead of the optimal L/D being achieved at higher speeds with increased ballast... But there are many others that could probably be fine tuned with a multi-surface model, depending on how it really get's implemented...

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...