Sign in to follow this  
767lover

What I expect in a next gen sim

Much of what I have seen so far to my delight confirms what I expect in the next gen sim, but here are some items I would like to see improved:

- Better AI traffic, not just planes, also cars, trains and ships. I like to see cars jamming the highways and roads in and around cities and see the corresponding lights at night. In the current stage, from what I have seen, cars are too few, randomly disappear, behave erratically or float in the air. Wonder if this AI was imported straight from FSX and landed in this new sim. It is one of the least impressive yet eye catching details about the sim in my opinion. 

- Waves breaking on shores (might be there already but did not see in detail) and seas and oceans having larger waves by default than lakes and ponds. 

- Alpine waters, including lakes and rivers, with that typical greenish, turquoise look. I hope Azure will take care of most of this automatically. 

- Smoke coming from chimneys and industry, especially when it is cold.

I know these items belong in a world rather than flight simulator but because Asobe did such a great job with simulating general aspects of the worls, it sets expectations on all aspects high. 

So far, awesome job Asobo/Microsoft!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

In the last video they showed the waves height reacting to the wind, so i think at least that is covered.

AI traffic, as we said in another topic, depends on their impact on performance. If they have resources and the capability of doing it without a strong negative impact on performance, i am sure they'll make it 🙂

Smoke, that's something interesting and also cool to see where the wind is blowing from. DCS has it, so i am certain it could be implemented here as well

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Waves breaking on shores 
=> It would be great, we'll see, but it's a good challenge. Already interpreting the relief on the coast, and then dealing with broken waves ... not essential for a simulator, but so cool on the immersion side.

Better AI traffic, not just planes, also cars, trains and ships :
=> it's a bit in the snapshoot, it's also mentioned from time to time in the interviews, so we know they're working on it, hoping for a good result. But it's already a very good sign that this project is one of their priorities.

Alpine waters, including lakes and rivers
=> It's taffy on the Azure level, but I think it's achievable

Smoke coming from chimneys and industry, especially when it is cold.
=> On some videos we saw wind turbines, they were in motion. So I think the smoke from the industry, I think it's kind of part of the same family. It's got to be doable.

Of all the things you've said, for me the real technological difficulty is everything to do with the rendering of the coastlines, and the moving water in relation to the relief of the coastlines.

1 hour ago, Pastaiolo said:

In the last video they showed the waves height reacting to the wind, so i think at least that is covered.

I am less interested by how the waves look like than how a floatplane interacts with them, at rest, taking off on the step and landing 😉. And that is still to be seen ! 

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

+1 For the smoke, I think this would make for great immersion.

Living in the UK we are never far from the water, especially in the Southwest, the interaction of water into clifs and beaches is something we're likely to see a lot; so if possible I'd love a feature implemented that ramps with the (already shown) waves where the surf also increases with the wind.

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

3 hours ago, 767lover said:

- Alpine waters, including lakes and rivers, with that typical greenish, turquoise look. I hope Azure will take care of most of this automatically. 

Not only alpine lakes. Different water tint depending on region would be great (Carribbean, Mediterranean, North sea all look different). Giving it some transpareny, so riffs, sand banks etc, that are on the orthos can shine through would be great too. 

• Upvote 1

Yes these (Smoke, breaking waves, waterfalls etc) are very possible, as you know, this is the job of Particles.

A Particle System  is a reality in graphic engines these days and all these ideas are more than possible in an engine like Asobo's or any other less capable engine out there.

In fact the major simulator that competes with MSFS had particles implemented in it in one of its updates...  

But then particles are not very performance friendly if over-exploited especially on affordable GPUs.

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

In the very first promo video I saw something and though. Ah that's FSX. It was the behaviour of the road traffic. Hopefully, it will be replaced by the time its released.

Hello all,

I would like some flight attendants serving tea coffee and assorted alcohol to the pilot (me) for the tube liners. it would also be nice in a Cessna 172. Not likely to happen though.

It is good to see this topic rehashed and also gives MSFS some free spotlight again. Don't want to see that stop do we??

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

After I land at KJFK I would like to take one of the hot flight attendants out on a date to Le Bernardin but she better be rich too because there is now way an NG3 pilot can afford to eat at that place.:dry:

ATC that can listen to my voice and translate it properly, and respond back to me with realistic speech. I see Microsoft demos all the time where they, in real time, translate what the speak is saying into foreign languages. With the somewhat limited vocabulary ATC uses it should be easier to decode.

Plus very realistic Outer Banks scenery!

Scott

• Upvote 2

Next gen flight sim should be more like in real life. A real flight should not be limited in a single cockpit of many instruments doing some routines. Now FS2020 is doing a great job in breaking the traditional boundaries. MS/Asobo is creating a bigger and more organic world full of life. Real world scenery, real weather, AI traffic, multiplayers...these add so much vitality to the game. I am imagining more social activities on the already very promising basis. Shared cockpit, crew members, virtual instructors (AI or real human), flight careers and clubs, virtual commercial flight company management...The potentials are unlimited.

• Like 1

I'd hope that a flight sim which was truly trying to be a stab at advancing stuff would have options for realism stuff such as:

tires which can scrub, overheat, wear out, creep on their rims, deflate realistically over time, crack etc

fuel issues such as algae or water contamination, cold soaking in icing conditions

realistic de-icing and anti-icing simulations to counter a similarly realistic icing simulation

more realistic ATC with regional differences

more realistic ground movement including tow offs, follow me vehicles, vehicles which actually give way to moving aircraft

bird strikes

passengers who can have realistic issues which affect what you have to do, i.e. the potential for them to get scared, or ill, or be injured if you don't ensure they are strapped in, or get annoyed if you do something badly

cargo which has to be loaded and handled properly

realistic pushbacks with the correct start up procedures and which use proper TRPs and the capability to actually do all of that yourself too, such as driving the tugs or putting the steps on etc

fuselages which exhibit wear and tear, pressure rippling, dirt build up and which have the ability to be cleaned

visible icing on windows and airframes

the ability to board via air bridges

proper fueling procedures

more simulation of the function of all the exterior doors, hatches, panels rather than this just being eye candy

I'm not suggesting all of this could be done easily, but there are loads of things a new flight sim could have a stab at along these lines and I would hope that some of these things are actually attempted or turned into selectable options.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You forgot "emptying the human waste tanks", Alan. Absolutely essential in a next generation flight simulator.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png