Sign in to follow this  
mp15

dynamic damage

if I action flaps at 160 knots on a Cessna 172, I want to see the flaps strap out and fly away and not a silly message saying I have no longer working flaps but i still see them there at the external view.

I also want fireballs on crash, you know hot yellowish fireballs in ground and cold orange fireballs with a lot of dense black smoke at the sea and a white water splash.

if the plane separate in pieces at the crash, the 🔥 needs to keep attached on the pieces 🔥 🔥 🔥

I also want wing flex and possible cracks. 

• Like 2

Are we talking about Flight Simulator or Battlefield VI??

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

if there are no fireballs it is not a flight simulator but a cute 3D bing maps viewr with fluffy clouds.

• Like 1

Unfortunately we will have to agree to disagree. Imo, doesn't need it. Maybe the SDK will support damage if developers want to implement it, but I don't need it. Just give me icing (they have) 🙂

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

1 hour ago, mpozzi said:

There was a recent thread on the topic. I don’t know what could be added. Note that it was closed (mercy killing).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

In the thread I started, I think most don't mind minor damage, like a broken gear, or maybe a stuck flap.  

But a lot of concern was brought up by some people concerning explosions.  While some, as noted in this thread, were OK with them.  (Talk of explosions is a hotbed topic for some people, and may close this thread.)

My suggestion would be to make a poll, to see what people consider acceptable and what is too much.  

Personally, I would like to see damage modeled that affects the flight model.  Things like damaged landing gear, flaps damaged from going too fast, etc.  And it would be nice if a slight brush with the top of a pine tree isn't assume to be a crash.  I don't care about explosions either way, just want realism up to that point and no assumed crashes.

Good luck, and I assume they game will have options in this area.

Edited by GlideBy
  • Like 2

Difficult topic, because the partners (aircraft manufacturers) do not want their aircraft to break. 

F1 from codemasters it's the same. According to the contract, the chassis must always remain whole in order to present the sport as safe. 

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

Are we talking about Flight Simulator or Battlefield VI??

If you remove the middle paragraphs, it's OK. 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Damage can be a great teaching tool to learn not to mistreat the aircraft. It also can teach you about emergency procedures. As the simulator is supposed to be entertaining it can also be fun.

However, it's still a flight simulator, so simulating damage stops when the aircraft is no longer flyable. A fireball won't teach me how to do an emergency landing or deal with birdstrikes. It isn't even fun imho.

Edited by orchestra_nl
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Just wondering why we are repeating the entire conversation we had a few weeks ago, all over again.

Might be better to just go back and read the last topic on this. Doubt any opinions have changed.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mpozzi said:

if there are no fireballs it is not a flight simulator but a cute 3D bing maps viewr with fluffy clouds.

I suggest finding a new airline for your next trip.

As to the question of damage modeling - while ideally absolutely everything in the world will react with 100% realism, in terms of a flight simulator I cant think of a bigger waste of limited development resources than spending time making sure we get accurate... fireballs.

• Upvote 3

I agree Scotttoest.  It would be a WAIST of development resources.  I would MUCH rather have those resources go to eye candy, AI, anything. 

Edited by psykie

I didn't say accurate fireballs, just a hot fireball in ground and cold one in water + splash. 

the official partners will probably demand their basic freebies planes to stay intact but we, the black art 3rd party Devs will create the cool planes, and we will include damage and fire no worries.

Edited by mpozzi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mpozzi said:

I didn't say accurate fireballs, just a hot fireball in ground and cold one in water + splash. 

the official partners will probably demand their basic freebies planes to stay intact but we, the black artists 3rd party Devs will create the cool planes, and we will include damage and fire no worries.

Assuming that kind of effects work is capable under the engine they are using, then you're good to go.