Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

How's your English?

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Ron, I think I could pass on being "Bare with you"! :blush:  Would you like me to correct your heading, Now's my English, or is that intentional?

OMG! A typo. Now that IS funny. 😂 If you would be so kind Charlie. And quickly so no one will notice.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

48 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

applying the breaks,

Well done Biggles. Another old favourite.

23 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Bare in mind, Sue?  :laugh:

Let's keep it clean shall we? Charlie, as a moderator, you should no better.

(see what I did there?)

• Like 2

English seems to be a collection of grunts, sniffs, snorts, coughs and other random sounds that came from a number of locales via perpetrators the various invasions of islands.  This amalgam of sounds has evolved over time into what we now know (no?) as modern English which is different from modern English spoken 300 or 600 or 900 years ago when it wasn't so modern.  And English is also  confusing to native speakers who sometimes refer to elevators as lifts, apartments as flats (?) and wooden stakes as stobs.  We should be thankful that at least in English a cat is a cat, while in Finnish a cat varies as it's relationship to place, time, distance, etc. 

Jim Driskell

Edited by jmdriskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

How 'bout "He cut the tree down, then he cut it up"   And if you want to make the room colder, do you turn the air conditioner up or down?  (Heat is not that ambiguous).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmdriskell said:

amalgam

Do you mean, as you started off, a 'collection' of sounds or a mixture (amalgam) of sounds? Just checking. :smile:

• Upvote 1

As we all buy a lot of add-ons, how about costumers and there rights? 😉

costumer66.jpg

• Like 1

Another usual error is confusing "pour" for "pore". As in:

Wrong:  "he poured over the map" Correct: "he pored over the map".

This could go on and on ad nauseum 😁

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Speaking of English, why to Americans call it the ground, but the English (and many others) call it the floor?

Do the English plant grass and flowers in the floor? :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

5 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Speaking of English, why to Americans call it the ground, but the English (and many others) call it the floor?

We call it the ground if you're outside. It becomes the floor when you go inside. You plant stuff in the earth (small e)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, n4gix said:

It's because the English don't speak good English. Speaking of which.....how about read and read?

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

25 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

This could go on and on ad nauseum

Starting to feel a bit queasy  already

6 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

We could carry this on with 'Bare with me', an old favourite. 

Once I saw a bear, he was nothing but bare, so I will give you the bare facts... That bear had no hair. 

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

6 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

That was a nice answer.

What i am surprised to see a lot here is the difference between hangar and hanger. I dont't get it, but that is probably because English is not my first language.

In my neck of the woods a hanger is often called a clotheshanger.   You put yer clothes on it.  Or yer coat.  😁   If you call it "clotheshanger" you will never mistake it for an airplane hangar.  Which by the way, is pronounced the same as hanger.

As far as pronunciation goes -- for both we say "hangur" with the g being soft.   bonus points for a strong "R" at the end, gives you southern cred.   That is southeast Missouri / Ozark patois, which is basically upper southern u.s. english with a few variations.  I think everywhere else in the country they don't emphasize the "r" and the "u" probably isn't that strong.  Probably more like "hanger" in the kings english.  I bet in Boston and New York they barely say the "r".  Maybe west coast too.  They have an interesting accent out there.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB