Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

How's your English?

17 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

AARRGGHH!!

🤣

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

One of the ones which always amuses me, is when people personify a company, by saying or writing something along the lines of: 'Manufacturers such as Boeing, who are making a new aircraft.' as opposed of course to the grammatically correct: 'Manufacturers such as Boeing, which is making a new aircraft.'

Having been a writer in the past, for several newspapers, I'll be the first to admit that I can be quite picky about language. Needless to say, one is generally expected to be at least reasonably competent with English if doing that job, at least in England, but then again, newspapers are not completely off the hook, being notorious for a good deal of 'journalese'. Inhabiting as they do, a grammatical world of their own where jobs can be 'axed', people can be 'quizzed' or 'slammed', ambulances always rush to incidents in 'fleets'. Buses never skid or fall off roads, they dramatically perform a 'death plunge', in much the same way as airliners never descend, they 'scream down', 'death dive' or, if they are in a particular rush to meet with the grim reaper, perform a 'fatal horror plunge', to await the discovery of their fluorescent orange-painted flight data recorders and cockpit voice recorders, which are of course never anything other than 'black boxes'.

And even when aeroplanes by some miracle, manage to arrive safely, they always land and taxi on 'tarmac', rather than alighting onto a runway, then going to the ramp, both of which are generally made of concrete.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Oh Chock, don't get me going! Have you noticed, 'course you have, that teenagers NEVER lose control because they're driving beyond their capabilities. No, their cars 'leave the road'.  Whenever my wife and I hear this on the TV, we look at each other and say "Naughty car"

• Like 1

I love it when people say "irregardless".

Disfortunately, this is fairly common. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

You can of course confuse people by asking them to explain the difference between 'flammable' and 'inflammable'. Most people would say there's no difference, since both can refer to things which can burn, but strictly speaking they do actually have slightly different meanings.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

My friends, you know , Being bilingual est parmi the best pleasures dans le monde entier. Think about it pour un instant. You can utiliser deux different languages en même temps in a such a way that makes ton cerveau wants to exploser from the speed par la quelle it switches from one langue to l’autre but stilltupeux do it and ressentir spécial(e) at the same time, et c’est pour ça you are unique. e fact that tu peux lire this article without stopping to think est un talent très few people have. La majorité of people struggle to lire juste in one single language, but what you are doing maintenant  est un signe of absolute genius. Reading a très complicated texte in two langues différentes seamlessly makes you un(e) nerd et someone qui trouve joy in languages. Now I want you to ask yourself des très simple questions: what makes you comprendre un texte like this? Did you apprendre les deux langues separately? Did you grow up dans une famille bilingue ? Quelle langue do you think in more as you lis ce texte ? What langue are you more fluent in? leave ta réponse in a comment s’il vous plaît. Mais, being bilingual has disadvantages aussi . Par exemple , te ne peux plus spell words anymore, knowing deux langues really messes up your spell checking abilities. Est- ce – qu’on dit “ centre ” or “center”, you never know anymore. Furthermore, des fois there’s the same word in French et en Anglais but they have des meanings totalement différentes. If you order an entrée in French you’ll get salad , mais en Anglais you’ll get un steak. Si tu want a “petite bite” of something, ne le dis pas en Français because you just requested a “little penis” instead of “small bite.” Be careful s’il vous plaît, words are tricky. Other times, you can be an word not allowed par erreur. Let me explain. Being bilingual means you have une responsabilité to remember qui parle quelle langue. Parce que you don’t want to be rude and leave anyone out of la conversation.  i hope i am not vulgaire and confusing...

henry

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tres bon Henri. Only, une thing missing, les paragraphs. :smile:

• Like 2

LOl  Ron , you started it. i like it. And i am trilingue guy , german on top of it which don't help ... lol

gute bonne evening RON

henry

Finally a topic I can get onto. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

17 hours ago, henry said:

My friends, you know , Being bilingual est parmi the best pleasures dans le monde entier.

LOL

Help ! ich denke in Deutsch mais j'ecris en Anglais. What should I do ?

Edited by n4gix
Removed rediculously long quote!

Erhard

I9 11900k RTX 3080 TI 3 x 55" LED TV 4K, 2 more PCs for displays and hardware connection Prosim A320

3 hours ago, A340Bangla said:

LOL

Help ! ich denke in Deutsch mais j'ecris en Anglais. What should I do ?

Compromise, go for Spanish.

Alan Bradbury

My particular gripe is with the loosers who can't spell. To say nothing of those who are unable to tow the line properly.

4 hours ago, lzamm said:

My particular gripe is with the loosers who can't spell.

Maybe they think they have nothing to loose (Don't underestimate my love for products from Toulouse). 😀

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

Another one, sometimes from people who claim to be pilots, is applying the breaks, when they mean brakes.

Hang on (not hanger on) ... wheres the coffee? I firmly believe the unions (not the husband spouse variety - we all know they are completely finished) should be involved. Call the cops two.

This is a great topic.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

5 hours ago, lzamm said:

My particular gripe is with the loosers who can't spell. To say nothing of those who are unable to tow the line properly.

Oh the irony. 😂 Please tell me you did that deliberately. 

• Like 2