Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

How's your English?

Just now, charliearon said:

Guys....let's not be testing the bad word filter.  I haven't had enough coffee yet!

How about if you posted a list of bad words?

Oh no, the filter would 'word not allowed' them and we wouldn't be any the wiser. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

It's just as word should be allowed well!

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Word!

Please note that I said that whilst crossing my arms and doing twin horned hands symbols, whilst wearing masses of ostentatious gold jewelry chains and a shell suit.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

57 minutes ago, Chock said:

Word!

Please note that I said that whilst crossing my arms and doing twin horned hands symbols, whilst wearing masses of ostentatious gold jewellery chains and a shell suit.

You've lost me. :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

You've lost me. :unsure:

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Ah. Er..LOL? :smile:

EDIT: EDIT: EDIT: Thank you Chock, I have discovered Stewart Lee. Brilliant! His Osama Bin Laden set...Fabulous. 🤣

Edited by Ron Attwood
  • Like 1

I always thought I had a sense of humor, but after seeing the video apparently I don't.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

An engaging thread... I'm somewhat surprised, though, George Carlin hasn't been mentioned yet. As far as the English language goes, I think he was one of the best at exploring its... well... quirks. Here's a link to an article referencing some of his thoughts about 'soft language' and some of those quirks:

https://www.thoughtco.com/soft-language-euphemism-1692111

Of course, I wouldn't think of contradicting all those who say that the English of their twenties is the standard and eternal English. Of course. Who am I after all ?  A French. But to add a little levity to these reflections, I will post this.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

There is a Mr Ghoti, pronounced Fish, proposed by George Bernard Shaw as a joke about English spelling.

Explained as 'gh' as in 'enough', 'o' as in 'women', and 'ti' as in 'station' 🤣

• Like 1

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

3 hours ago, billmoto53 said:

An engaging thread... I'm somewhat surprised, though, George Carlin hasn't been mentioned yet. As far as the English language goes, I think he was one of the best at exploring its... well... quirks. Here's a link to an article referencing some of his thoughts about 'soft language' and some of those quirks:

Interesting article. I’ve always wondered why Americans call the toilet / khazi / bog / dunny the bathroom or restroom. Rarely will you find a bath in the smallest room in the house and I go there for a specific purpose and not to rest. 😁

The other use of soft language is death of course. People die. They don’t pass on or the dreadful “pass”. See it so often. Can’t fathom why it’s used. Anyone got the hard language alternative to political correctness? I suspect mine wouldn’t get through the filter! 😆 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, billmoto53 said:

Thank you Bill. I've become a fan of George Carlin. Someone on the side of 'miserable old word not alloweds' everywhere.

EDIT: Let's try 'Miserable old buggers'

Edited by Ron Attwood

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Interesting article. I’ve always wondered why Americans call the toilet / khazi / bog / dunny the bathroom or restroom. Rarely will you find a bath in the smallest room in the house and I go there for a specific purpose and not to rest. 😁

In some countries you might sound rude to ask for the toilet, instead ask for the cloakroom. 😊 

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I remembered another pet hate this morning.

The use of a statement posing as a question???

Thank you Australia.:dry:

9 minutes ago, SteveW said:

In some countries you might sound rude to ask for the toilet, instead ask for the cloakroom. 😊 

Care to name them? It’s English. If they’re offended by the term they need to go back to English classes. Cloakroom is ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather