Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

9 minutes ago, KevinAu said:

What if the beholder is blind?

The mind's eye is never blind.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

4 minutes ago, birdguy said:

The mind's eye is never blind.

Noel

Yes. It sees what it wants to see. You still have not answered the last two questions. And you still have never answered the question I keep asking you throughout the length of this thread.

2 minutes ago, KevinAu said:

Sure. Plenty. Those that are rooted in political motivations. But for health and safety regs, what’s not to like? Unless you can’t drive fifty five.

Many laws are, perhaps most, are driven by political motivation.  Would you support health regulations mandating that you shower every day, brush your teeth three times a day or go to bed at 10:00 to make sure you get 8 hours sleep.  Of course such laws are unenforceable but being a good citizen would you obey them anyway?

I drive 75 in places...legally.

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 minutes ago, KevinAu said:

Yes. It sees what it wants to see. You still have not answered the last two questions. And you still have never answered the question I keep asking you throughout the length of this thread.

Repeat them and I'll try to answer them.

Noel

10 minutes ago, KevinAu said:

Sure. Plenty. Those that are rooted in political motivations. But for health and safety regs, what’s not to like? Unless you can’t drive fifty five.

I actually support wearing the mask, as it is intended to protect others in case you are infected.

I also support the right of the States to mandate these kinds of things.  States actually have a lot of latitude when it comes to laws, statutes, mandates, restrictions, etc. as long as they do not violate the Constitution.

However, there could be a lot *not* to like if a State decides that public health is so important that they ban cigarettes, or alcohol for example.  Perhaps they are concerned about heart disease so they ration how much fast food you are allowed to purchase, or what kind of meat you are allowed to buy, e.g. the 75% lean or 90% lean, or how much bacon you can buy per month.  How about how much sugary soda you're allowed to purchase?  How about mandated exercise?

The People must remain ever vigilant and not allow the govt. to go too far.  This is why we have elections, and I suspect that certain Governors are going to have a difficult time when they come up for re-election.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

28 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Repeat them and I'll try to answer them.

Noel

1. What do you say to somebody in the icu who caught the disease from you because you refused to wear a mask in public?

2. Is it ok to hurt somebody as long as no one can pin the responsibility on you?

3. Have you considered how the two accepted facts about this virus that (a) people with the virus can infect others without showing symptoms themselves and (b) it can take up to two weeks for people with the virus to develop symptoms will affect disease spread in communities where people wear masks and communities where people do not wear masks?

Edited by KevinAu

22 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Many laws are, perhaps most, are driven by political motivation.  Would you support health regulations mandating that you shower every day, brush your teeth three times a day or go to bed at 10:00 to make sure you get 8 hours sleep.  Of course such laws are unenforceable but being a good citizen would you obey them anyway?

I drive 75 in places...legally.

If it could mean the difference between me or somebody else ending up in an icu or not, sure. Happily.

You seem to think there is no consequence to this safety issue whether you obey the recommendations or not.

Edited by KevinAu

On 5/15/2020 at 11:58 AM, dave2013 said:

Meanwhile in Sweden:

Deaths per Day

92Ey0YS.jpg

Dave

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-deaths-covid-19?country=SWE

I'm getting tired of hearing about both Sweden and HCQ. COVID-19 deaths in Sweden are still averaging about the same during the past two months. Their per capita death rate is far above any other Scandinavian country.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Who gets to decide what's stupid and what's not.

That’s a function of society. We all know that warning labels are slapped on certain things because there was at least one “stupid” person out there.

For example, do not pop champagne cork at your or someone else’s face, specifically eyes. Smoking causes cancer, heart disease and other nasty diseases. Consuming alcohol during pregnancy can harm an unborn child. On a claymore mine, “point this side toward the enemy”. My personal favourite are teenagers who think it smart to jump off a roof of a house to dive into a relatively shallow pool and end up in wheelchairs and ventilators for the rest of their lives and the owners of the property are on the hook for that genius’ stunt. As a result, warning signs on private property. “No roof diving”. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but as I say, in society, the lowest common denominator keeps going lower. 

These are all fairly common sense scenarios but, at least one person in society had the lack of intelligence to do otherwise.

So, society stepped in to determine that these actions are stupid, so stupid in fact that warning labels are warranted.

The question is; “why does society do this”? Society needs to protect society. Little Johnny who decided to do the triple Lindy from the top of 2 storey house into a 6 foot deep pool and crush several vertebrae and fracture his skull needs to be protected from his stupidity because he’s a part of society.

I suppose we can carry this on to personal freedoms and choices. Is it right for society to put up warning signs in the backyard of some unsuspecting home owner and infringe on Little Johnny’s rights and freedoms to dive off the roof of a house into their poo!?

Everything that has a warning label seems like common sense to me, but here we are, putting labels on things.

• Like 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

We are all treated like children because some of us, despite their age, insist on acting like children. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

How would I know it was I who infected them when over half the people aren't wearing masks.

Noel

This is why your governor has made it mandatory and added a penalty for not doing so. I don't need to have even heard of New Mexico to recognise that. As has been so eloquently stated, the state has a duty to legislate for the Lowest Common Denominator, since apparently there is not enough common sense to go around.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KevinAu said:

1. What do you say to somebody in the icu who caught the disease from you because you refused to wear a mask in public?

2. Is it ok to hurt somebody as long as no one can pin the responsibility on you?

3. Have you considered how the two accepted facts about this virus that (a) people with the virus can infect others without showing symptoms themselves and (b) it can take up to two weeks for people with the virus to develop symptoms will affect disease spread in communities where people wear masks and communities where people do not wear masks?

1 - Too bad you were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

2 - No.  But I don't consider not wearing a mask hurting anybody since there are so few people in my area (0.05% if the population) than any chance of my affecting anybody are extremely remote.

3 - Yes, I have considered that but as in the preceding answer at this time the likelihood is so remote that I don't know anybody wo has come down with the virus or, to date, know anybody who knows anybody who has come down with the virus.

Noel

Last week I had to accompany my brother who has dementia to the cancer clinic.  Late this morning I had to accompany him to the heat doctor (which is why I am behind in the replies).

Now, as I understand it the purpose of the mask is to prevent the person who is wearing it from spreading the disease to others.  But the whole purpose is negated because in both places the nurses, orderlies, and doctors all had to drop their masks to talk to us because when wearing them it's difficult to understand what they are asking or saying.  Likewise we had to drop our masks to answer their questions.

One of the problems is people don't enunciate properly and tend to slur words in ordinary speech.  When I was in grammar school we were taught diction.  How to properly pronounce words while speaking.

The worse masks are the high tech ones the doctors and some of the techs are wearing.  They have some sort of canisters on the corners.  They remind me of the gas masks we wore in the service.

But even the simple ones like the one they handed me at the door this morning tend to muffle what you are saying.

Noel 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KevinAu said:

You seem to think there is no consequence to this safety issue whether you obey the recommendations or not.

Not true.  You seem to think the situation here is the same as it possibly where you live.  But with more than half of the people I see in the market going bare faced at this time there have been no significant increase in cases.  With all these 'typhoid Marys' running around WalMart, Albertsons Market, Walgreens, Office Max, Home Depot, Target, Farmer's Market and Ace Hardware we get perhaps 1 or two new cases a week.  Don't you think if even a fraction of us were asymptomatic we'd see more than that.  And if we did we we'd start wearing the word not allowed things.

Well on Saturday we are going to have to.  

I suggest we have a national speed limit of 45MPH to save lives.  What would you say to a person you injured in an accident if you were driving 55?  And most people don't obey speed limits anyway.

Noel

27 minutes ago, birdguy said:

1 - Too bad you were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am awed by your empathy.

• Like 3

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.