Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

16 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Having never had to eat with a mask on the only thing I can think of is lifting the mask, taking in a forkful of food, and lowering it again.  Ugh!  No what I would call elegant dining.  I'll pass.  I would rather eat my own cooking at home sans mask.

Noel

Or maybe you just take it off when you eat. Or drink.

37 minutes ago, KevinAu said:

Or maybe you just take it off when you eat. Or drink.

And spew gunk onto patrons and their food at the adjoining table?

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

...as it's now known that there have been a number of cases where the data has been manipulated to make it "look better"..

Once I've got my test results I'll let you know how the UK have been manipulating the data.. 😜. Just have to remember to get up early and do the test before 9am (having already pre-booked a courier to turn up on that day) - difficult these days with being on furlough. I'm turning into more of a night owl..

Hey Noel, at least eating with a mask on means a person can talk with their mouth full.. 😎 no one will know...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

55 minutes ago, birdguy said:

One of my favorite authors.  Watched The Terminal Man on TV the other night.

Noel

No one is disputing that Crichton wasn’t a great pop novelist. It’s just that he’s not an authority on science. I’ve read every Crichton work including his 14th debacle. He’s a great writer like Ian Fleming was a great writer. But think about some of his major works and how they relate to scientific progress:

The Andromeda Strain - evil germs from outer space attack because scientists get sloppy.

Jurassic Park- evil dinosaurs from the past attack because scientists mess around too much with DNA and cloning.

The Terminal Man - scientists connect a computer to the brain of a man with mental problems. The man‘s demented brain seizes control of the computer and attacks everybody because scientists are careless.

Prey - scientists fool around stupidly with nanobots  and they attack the world.

Next - More crazy scientists getting in trouble with DNA work.

And let’s not forget my favorite Crichton book, Rising Sun, which has very little to do with science and scientists. Unfortunately, the Japanese read the book as being overtly racist. Perhaps I can be of some assistance...

Edited by jabloomf1230

19 minutes ago, birdguy said:

And spew gunk onto patrons of the adjoining table?

Tables must preserve the ~6' social distancing rule so as to minimize the effect of your "spew" Noel.

Mask or no mask, I insist that everyone remain 144 MHz* distance from me!

Nota Bene: 144 MHz = 2 meters

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One thing my parents passed onto me common sense sadly lacking today they have to told when how and where.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

49 minutes ago, birdguy said:

And spew gunk onto patrons and their food at the adjoining table?

Noel

I don’t think there is a restaurant in the usa now that has tables closer than six feet apart. In aviation, we have something called the ‘swiss cheese’ model. We assume that no defense is perfect, but what we can do is layer as many different types of defenses together to minimize the chances of a bad outcome making it all the way through. Each defense is a slice of swiss cheese with holes. Stack them together and the chances of something making it through the holes is small. Each person who wears a mask in public, each person who stays away from a stranger by 6+ feet, each person who does not linger near a stranger for more than a few minutes, each person who decided to stay home, each of those is a layer of swiss cheese. If you have to eat at a restaurant, then take off your mask while you eat. It is that simple. You’ve lost a layer of cheese in your defense, but there are others, like the other people around you still wearing their masks while waiting for their food, the distance they are from your table, the limit on how long each party can be at a table, the outdoor seating or ventilation, etc. All those factors can still provide defenses to keep you relatively safe while eating. This is how we get the economy going while respecting the disease.

Edited by KevinAu
  • Like 2

it appears to me that about a half million people will die in the US this year.

it will be at least 300,000.  I dont see how we can avoid it.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

17 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

Is anyone surprised? Reporting on things like this have been steadily rising as individual states, under various pretexts, are found making moves to obscure unfavorable numbers from the public.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

28 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

This is important imo and its what Ive been wondering about...how to determine number of tests and what type they are.

This (atlantic article) states that cdc and some states are mixing viral test result data  with antibody test result data.  As I understand it, these antibody tests are wildly inaccurate.   Not only should the two data types be separate but the antibody testing needs a lot of improvement.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

4 hours ago, birdguy said:

Because this fine will cause most people to start wearing the masks.  Right now most don't.  So I'm in the crowd now.  Starting Saturday I won't be.

Noel

Your choice. But I'll say again...you have no clue as to what's going on...plonk.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Tables must preserve the ~6' social distancing rule so as to minimize the effect of your "spew" Noel.

Mask or no mask, I insist that everyone remain 144 MHz* distance from me!

Nota Bene: 144 MHz = 2 meters

Being a long-time DX'er I can't relate to two meters. But I can understand 6.56168 feet................

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, KevinAu said:

I don’t think there is a restaurant in the usa now that has tables closer than six feet apart. In aviation, we have something called the ‘swiss cheese’ model. We assume that no defense is perfect, but what we can do is layer as many different types of defenses together to minimize the chances of a bad outcome making it all the way through. Each defense is a slice of swiss cheese with holes. Stack them together and the chances of something making it through the holes is small. Each person who wears a mask in public, each person who stays away from a stranger by 6+ feet, each person who does not linger near a stranger for more than a few minutes, each person who decided to stay home, each of those is a layer of swiss cheese. If you have to eat at a restaurant, then take off your mask while you eat. It is that simple. You’ve lost a layer of cheese in your defense, but there are others, like the other people around you still wearing their masks while waiting for their food, the distance they are from your table, the limit on how long each party can be at a table, the outdoor seating or ventilation, etc. All those factors can still provide defenses to keep you relatively safe while eating. This is how we get the economy going while respecting the disease.

So you are assuming there is no + or - in the 6foot rule.  It's absolute that the gunk can travel no further than 6 feet.  

However, if you can leave your masks off in a restaurant I'll go.  But one of my favorites has a salad bar.  Are they going to limit the salad bar to one or two persons at a time?  "I'll take your order now.  Here's your reservation for the salad bar."

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

This is important imo and its what Ive been wondering about...how to determine number of tests and what type they are.

Two terms we use in epidemiology all the time are Incidence and Prevalence. Incidence conveys information about the risk of contracting a disease, whereas prevalence indicates how widespread the disease is.  Antibody tests are used to determine the prevalence of a disease in the population, whereas RT-PCR determines the Incidence in the population.  Two very different metrics that are used in the management of a disease and should not be combined into one number, doing so removes the usefulness from both!

Martin

Edited by MartinRex007
  • Like 3