Sign in to follow this  
simtom

ALPHA BUILD 1.2.5.0 is now available!

This update is a trove of many interesting infos. Glad that MS had the savvy to open it to all. One (of the many)  thing that caught my eye. 

Wind impact now on grass and trees.

One thing missing in our sims today is the ability to assess the direction and strength of the wind by looking at the vegetation moving with it, when you land in the boondocks.

As some say this sim is only about eye candy 😁, hey@W2DR  ? Just teasing you, my friend 😋

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Yes and you don't know the specs of the PCs being used 10/20 FPS is going to frighten some users, if they are high spec gaming PC`s AMD Intel and Nvidia should give MS a cut of the revenue this is going to give them.

While bound to the NDA, let me tell you that you shouldn’t be worried about performance.

My specs are i7-4770K (OC’d to 4.3) and 1070.

• Like 14

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

This is by far the best update we have seen so far, even better than the beautiful videos and screenshots (well almost 🙂 ) This is the first glimpse into what problems there has been so far, and what fixes they have made. When we're not in the alpha, it's nice to know what the testers have found and what MS/Asobo is doing with it.

With regards to the low fps people points out, I'm not worried, it's still Alpha and we know that optimizing doesn't really start until beta or maybe even shortly before release, so let's chill and wait and see.

BTW, they mentions that 

Some airports were reported as missing have been added back in for this version:

• KPHX
  • LFRN
  • KIAH
  • WSSS
  • LICC
  • KPHL
  • MUHA
  • KSAN
  • KMSP
  • PHNL
  • KBOS
  • HECA
  • ZBAA

Does that mean they are custom made airports, or they were totally missing, like no rw's, buildings etc?

Edited by jlund
  • Upvote 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

1 hour ago, Noooch said:

TTS? Text-to-Speech? Does it mean we can really speak with ATC?

No. It means that the sim "speaks" through the Windows TTS system instead of playing canned sound snippets like it used to. Maybe voice recognition will be added later?

Best regards 

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 2

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, simtom said:

While bound to the NDA, let me tell you that you shouldn’t be worried about performance.

That's reassuring as I presently have an 3800X and 1070 plus 32GB Ram, the latter number seems significant.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

10 hours ago, simtom said:

Low FPS (10 to 20 FPS) in big airports when on the tarmac, both on the take-off and landing

Unfortunately makes me concerned for VR. Going from 10 - 20 fps to 30 - 40 fps is one thing. Going from 10fps to 90 - 120fps could be a mountain of optimisation work.

I really hope they can get performance to that level and don't go for the X-Plane VR approach of "aim for 45fps (if you're lucky) and let ASW kick in".

Pleased they released build notes publicly though, so us not-so-insiders can see how things are progressing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, simtom said:

So your getting better than 10-20, OH I know NDA nod nod wink wink say no more.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, jlund said:

This is by far the best update we have seen so far, even better than the beautiful videos and screenshots (well almost 🙂 ) This is the first glimpse into what problems there has been so far, and what fixes they have made. When we're not in the alpha, it's nice to know what the testers have found and what MS/Asobo is doing with it.

With regards to the low fps people points out, I'm not worried, it's still Alpha and we know that optimizing doesn't really start until beta or maybe even shortly before release, so let's chill and wait and see.

BTW, they mentions that 

Some airports were reported as missing have been added back in for this version:

• KPHX
  • LFRN
  • KIAH
  • WSSS
  • LICC
  • KPHL
  • MUHA
  • KSAN
  • KMSP
  • PHNL
  • KBOS
  • HECA
  • ZBAA

Does that mean they are custom made airports, or they were totally missing, like no rw's, buildings etc?

May be some airports are in sim purchases good way of creating a revenue stream  "Money For Nothing And Streaming For Free" That would make a good Song!! 😃.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

As far as I understood, the performance issue as mentioned in the dev notes, is in my opinion and by experience not a global simulator performance matter but rather related to a specific and classic scenario (ground + very low altitude during takeoff and landings at big airports). 

Usually, this is a classic scenario of RAM/VRAM management related to the transition between memory demanding areas and less demanding zones... The way the memories are emptied and loaded could be addressed...

Any new addition to the simulator could probably require another approach to the memories management in such tricky scenarios...

The devs of the other simulator explained a scenario like this one once...

But of course, I could have misunderstood...

Edited by Claviateur
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

55 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

May be some airports are in sim purchases good way of creating a revenue stream

I doubt that.

2 hours ago, jlund said:

Based on the phrasing, it sounds like they were in a previous build, but some how went missing completely in a later one. 

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

The thread says: ALPHA BUILD 1.2.5.0 is now available!

For whom? I registered for Alpha test the same day MS opened the Alpha test registration, but still have no access:( 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, vv1918 said:

The thread says: ALPHA BUILD 1.2.5.0 is now available!

For whom? I registered for Alpha test the same day MS opened the Alpha test registration, but still have no access:( 

We are a lot in your situation... Still hoping patiently.

• Upvote 1

The Open Beta phase should be more interesting than the Alpha....

I think a lot of people would be very frustrated to experience the unpolished version of MSFS and see (live) the issues that are mentioned for example in the dev log of this Alpha version...

I mean just from looking at screenshots sometimes many find this and that missing and it creates frustrations...

So immagine what expectation some would have when they get access and what reality will they meet in an Alpha...  

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

4 hours ago, jlund said:

BTW, they mentions that 

• KPHX
  • LFRN
  • KIAH
  • WSSS
  • LICC
  • KPHL
  • MUHA
  • KSAN
  • KMSP
  • PHNL
  • KBOS
  • HECA
  • ZBAA

While it would certainly be awesome, I highly doubt MUHA (Havana, Cuba) made the cut for highly detailed custom airport.  These seem likely to be the intermediate level hey hinted at in the airport video though (custom taxiway signs, runway signs, etc.) Now, they did say though in another bullet point that some buildings are missing from Chicago O’hare and Frankfurt airports.  We’ve already seen a custom O’hare in a video, so I think it is safe to say that Frankfurt will also be a custom airport.

Cheers

Edited by ual763

Just glad to see presets for the Honeycomb yoke flight controls. hope for the future throttle setup also.

• Like 1