Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

9 hours ago, Baber20 said:

The sky and clouds sure do look amazing. Also dx12 is bound to bump up the performance. Very surprised its releasing so soon. 

Edit: looks like NDAs are lifted. Also someone mentioned in the p3d thread that they are in both, msfs alpha and v5 beta and that they prefer v5 to msfs based on their experience with both the sims.

Also most of the people here are judging way too early. You are not in msfs alpha and you obviously didn't try v5 yet. Visuals albeit super important aren't everything in a sim.

Keep in mind that the "I prefer P3D over MSFS2020" statement was made by someone who currently earns money from selling P3D addons. While it may be his honest opinion, I think we have to keep in mind that a lot of people are extremely biased in this MSFS2020 vs P3D vs X-plane discussion.

Same goes for many of the other forum celebrities who have become famous by posting hundreds of Core0 tweaks, hyperthreading graphs etc. It's not a surprise that these people become very offensive and protective as soon as MSFS2020 or X-plane is mentioned.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 4

I will still use it even though they do not need my money LM spend more on hospitality then MS has on MSFS.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

At least one big difference, and although they point out in the video it is the beginning of a new cycle, we don't really know how much time we'll have to wait for further enhancements to come, and the one that immediately comes to my mins is the new Flight Dynamic announced for MFS.

Of course it is still unknown, at least to me who never had the chance to test MFS, if this new flight dynamics model is going to bring anything really interesting and worth the change to the desk, but it looks promising for a start while P3D v5 will still be good-old MSFS FDM :-/

I would say X-Plane and probably Bush Simulator ( in the Civil Flight Simulation area ) are the true competitors now, and I don't really think X-Plane is in a good position at the moment, although I did test how much smoother it feels propelled by Vulkan.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Supposedly, this video put on youtube today is v5:

F22 still looks like its been made in google sketchup, you can see the horizon line through some of the clouds, and the Shorts 330 looks good...new plane?

• Like 2

I think it's as well for people to recall the message in the Joni Mitchell song Big Yellow Taxi - 'don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone'. And whilst we are at it, we might also recall that it wasn't too long ago we were looking at a very different status quo in the world of flight sims. MS had fired ACES and killed off the Flight Simulator franchise, their alternative Flight sim was also canned. Dovetail's attempt at taking things forward for the sim - Flight Sim World - also ending up stillborn because people were complaining about it possibly having an aspect where there might be a micro-transactions utility as part of it. It was such a grim time that Aerosoft were mooting the idea of picking up the ball and developing a flight sim.

What a different situation we find ourselves in now; once again, an embarrassment of riches for us with not one, but two new flight sims on the way. So I don't know about you lot, but personally, I'll be having the new P3D versions AND the new MS sim when they both become available, because as I wrote at the start of this post.. don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Competition is good! I love all flight sims and will save to buy them all. Looking fwd to P3 V5, Deadstick, and of course MSFS (this being the climax of releases imo). Bring 'em all on!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tolip2 said:

Keep in mind that the "I prefer P3D over MSFS2020" statement was made by someone who currently earns money from selling P3D addons.

He also was quite vocal during that whole debate regarding how msfs is hurting the 3PD business right now. I remembered a few things after I made that post and have made another post reflecting my current point of view. Makes sense why he is in favor of an incomplete sim like v5.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

1 hour ago, seamaster55 said:

Supposedly, this video put on youtube today is v5:

That looks really good.  Somehow I doubt that's stock scenery, but I'd LOVE to be wrong.  Does anyone know for sure?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

12 hours ago, MarkW said:

At any other time I would be purchasing day one but with MS2020 on the horizon i will be holding off and then decide once MS2020 has been released.  I am very happy with V4 at the moment.

The only thing that will change my thought above is if all of the major addon developers offer free upgrades.  Then it is low cost and worth upgrading.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I'm still flying P3Dv4.5 several hours every day.  P3Dv5 won't be a day one purchase for me as I'd like to see other people's comments first, but at this point I'm almost certain I'll be getting it.

I have limited bandwidth so I don't know if I can do anything with MSFS when it's released.  At least with P3Dv5 I'll have a shiny new flight sim to play with.

So far P3Dv5 looks to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but that's perfectly fine.  The difference between P3Dv2.5 and P3Dv4 was pretty stunning and I don't expect v5 to be much less so.

I have to admit to some amusement at the somewhat pedestrian quality of their initial trailer.  After what we've been getting from Microsoft lately it's either pretty silly or incredibly brilliant.  Time will tell.

If it's not obvious, MSFS might not quite live up to the hype and P3Dv5 may exceed it by a large margin.  This might affect a lot of people's perception of the final products.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 minutes ago, LHookins said:

MSFS might not quite live up to the hype and P3Dv5 may exceed it by a large margin

I'll have to stop you right there sir 😉 

• Like 6

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

Will, I be getting it, sure,but only if they rename it to P3Dv 4.- 9 and offers it as a free update. But as a new version you have to pay the full ($ 59.95) price again, No way. It's not the price as such, but it really doesn't offer anything revolutionary that makes it a must have. Ground textures looks terrible, and so does the sky. I know I',m comparing it to MSFS, but that's really not fair to MSFS, as they're so far ahead in every aspect. So yeah P3Dv 4.3 (yes' haven't even updated to 4.5) is the last version of P3D on my PC for now. 

• Like 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

10 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I have limited bandwidth so I don't know if I can do anything with MSFS when it's released.

They have a full offline mode. So you’ll still be able to play, just without that satellite imagery. 

"MSFS might not quite live up to the hype and P3Dv5 may exceed it by a large margin"

You're kidding, right?

• Like 5

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11