Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

12 minutes ago, spilok said:

If you call it a "game", you're probably going respond as you just did.  Simulation is a different animal that gets better and better incrementally.  It's not supposed to be a "new game".

Let's face it, a game coming out this year will have better flight dynamics out of the box compared to this new "simulator". And honestly, almost everyone on AVSIM is using this "simulator" as a game, to entertain themselves. It really doesn't matter what we call it like.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

A Simulator is a completely different beast of course. If you don’t have your PPL, P3D will CTD. You have to be a certified pilot to access it. Completely different beast... 😅

But for real, a new version of Prepar3d is great for people already happy with V4 and it’s add-nos. For people like me, hoping for a revolution on flight simulation, it isn’t remotely enough.

Also, I don’t think this subforum would be the best place to legitimately discuss about the new version. Posting this kind of thread on a subforum of a different simulator would for sure cause sim VS sim discussions.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

The problem I see it is what is featured on V5 should've been delivered in V2. LM with all its claim of being the only true 'simulator' and offering the world, is actually light years behind. 

Imagine what MSFS2020 V1.1 will offer. Let alone V2.0. The mind boggles. More wet dreams...😋

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

. LM with all its claim of being the only true 'simulator' and offering the world,

Could you tell us where Lockheed Martin ever said that because I never saw such a claim in my seven years with their P3D.

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

33 minutes ago, domkle said:

Could you tell us where Lockheed Martin ever said that because I never saw such a claim in my seven years with their P3D.

So you're saying it IS only for entertainment value and not a true 'simulator' as far as PC 'games' are concerned?  So the Air Force flyboys have replaced the ping pong table in the mess hall for P3D the fun game to amuse themselves? 

Wish they would've changed that word not allowed EULA then.  :rolleyes:

59 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

So you're saying it IS only for entertainment value and not a true 'simulator' as far as PC 'games' are concerned?  So the Air Force flyboys have replaced the ping pong table in the mess hall for P3D the fun game to amuse themselves? 

To be fair, LM only received the license for professional use, entertainment went to Dovetail. It's not their fault they can only market P3D as a professional product instead of the entertainment product it is for us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nikita said:

To be fair, LM only received the license for professional use, entertainment went to Dovetail. It's not their fault they can only market P3D as a professional product instead of the entertainment product it is for us.

Let's stay away from any discussion of the EULA and how LM "should" have marketed P3D please.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

42 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Let's stay away from any discussion of the EULA and how LM "should" have marketed P3D please.

It's always struck me as strange this topic is so taboo here. The reality is pretty cut and dry, but everyone intentionally turns a blind eye to the obvious. Strange indeed.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

This looks ugly... Why aren't they touching on the night enviroment? It's like that since FSX. Those yellow cities look really bad. 

Also, it wasn't V5 supposed to have a better performance? In this video the sim is stuttering a lot.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Oh dear. This looks just as bad, if not worse than what we had in 2006. And don't get me started on that cockpit and those awful 2D sprites for the strobe lights at 0:58 (one of them looks very glitchy, blacking out the buildings behind). Is this stock aircraft or licensed from a developer?

I know Lockheed Martin prefer to supply the tools and let the developers do their magic, but so many major revisions later at still full price, they really should update the stock aircraft, night lighting, autogen textures and more to 2020 standards. This is where Microsoft Flight Simulator will win, offering a much more complete experience out of the box, not relying on expensive add-ons to bring out the engine's strengths.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I thought V5 night lighting should look at least on par with XP10 (which released many years ago) and since it uses latest DX12, but.. (sigh).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

This looks ugly... Why aren't they touching on the night enviroment? It's like that since FSX. Those yellow cities look really bad. 

Also, it wasn't V5 supposed to have a better performance? In this video the sim is stuttering a lot.

This video was sponsored by Microsoft. ’nuf said. (before anything erupts, this is a joke...)

What we have seen so far are clips from the beta pimped  with Orbx or MSE scenery addons. It is high time we see the real naked thing.

Night is apparently FS9 grade textures and lighting. What about days now ?

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I am saying that I never saw that LM ever claimed of P3D being the only true 'simulator' and offering the world as per your words and I challenged you to show us where you saw it.  

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Since V1, LM could have indeed reworked the night lighting and add the ability to turn off the runway lights....  for academic but also highly professional use...

too much, too soon....

20 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

a game coming out this year will have better flight dynamics out of the box compared to this new "simulator".

That is definitely not a guarantee. It depends entirely on the dev's goals for the flight dynamics. If were to decide they want to make it "approachable," and they fudge the physics to make it more like flying in GTA5, then P3d would have better flight dynamics.