Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Prepar3D version 5 announced

5 hours ago, swiesma said:

I invested a fortune in P3D and enjoyed it quite some years. Not able to show you what I see, not only the eye candy

What is so hard about posting a SS?

lJXZZfz.jpg

huey1177.gif

Edited by jpc55
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, jpc55 said:

What is so hard about posting a SS?

Perhaps you should have stuck to Flight...

1 hour ago, DylanM said:

Perhaps you should have stuck to Flight...

WOW! And that is the best answer you could come up with. :tongue: Forgot to add Lmao. huey1177.gif and the SS is from FSX-SE, not from Flight.

Edited by jpc55

There is no doubt though that P3D can be made to look beautiful. A thing to behold, it just takes a lot of money. 

• Upvote 3

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

I'm holding out on upgrading to v5.

From what I've seen thus far, there's not enough to entice me to stay with P3D (I purchased v4.4 when P3D went 64 bit). The fact that there is no upgrade fee, but instead a flat purchase fee also does not help.

With what I've seen thus far with respect to MSFS 2020 - it's pretty much visually what I've always envisaged and hoped for out of a flight sim. 

For those who have continually referred to MSFS 2020 as "vapor ware".....I think for the most part they are die hard LM fans who feel threatened by the competition. FS2020 is definitely coming and in the format and visuals we've all seen.

I will say that I am grateful to LM for continuing on from FSX and developing it further as they have done. Since flying P3D v4.4 I've experienced zero OOM's. That was almost impossible with FSX given all my 3rd party scenery and aircraft add-ons.

But as I look at some video's produced recently of beta P3D v5 with Orbx True Earth GB, NORCAL and SOCAL - they look decent - but not breathtaking like FS2020. There is an overwhelming difference between both products that are beyond comparison.

Ergo, I'll continue with v4.5 until such time as FS2020 is available.......

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

1 hour ago, XCLTM3 said:

For those who have continually referred to MSFS 2020 as "vapor ware".....I think for the most part they are die hard LM fans who feel threatened by the competition. FS2020 is definitely coming and in the format and visuals we've all seen.

Steve, either I've missed a lot of posts somewhere or you just insulted me. 😄 

I haven't seen anyone calling MSFS vapor ware and if you are talking about the fact that we can't buy MSFS yet and won't be able to for a while but P3Dv5 goes on sale in a couple of days, that's just the way it is.  I fully expect MSFS to be released and have a nice long life, unlike Microsoft Flight and Flight Sim World.

I also have no intention of giving up flight simming for the next several months because of a few videos and screen shots.

I'm not a die hard LM fan any more than I was ever a die hard FSX fan.  I was using FSX and looking for a better flight sim when I found Microsoft Flight and later Prepar3D.  I'm sorry to have missed FSW as I was away from flight simming at the time and got back two months after it was no longer available.  I wasn't looking for a new flight sim after P3D and MSFS is a pleasant surprise.

I fully expect to be flying MSFS when it's released but we ain't there yet and I'm not ready to stop flying at the moment. Or to stop buying add-ons or even a new version of my current flight simulator.

Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be better than what we currently have.  I originally said that about MSFS in response to the nay sayers.  But it fits P3Dv5 as well now that we know it's almost here.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, XCLTM3 said:

Ergo, I'll continue with v4.5 until such time as FS2020 is available.......

That's a very valid opinion and a lot of people will follow suit. It's refreshing to see some well-considered thinking.

There are a number of things that excite me about v5, namely:

• Enhanced performance through DX12.
  • trueSKY
  • Dynamic ocean with WaveWorks 2.0.
  • Added sloped runway support including AI takeoff and landing capabilities.
  • The map screen is now available during flight.
  • Updated global terrain, elevation, water/shoreline data, and traffic routes.
  • Ground contact reaction is now done per contact point.
  • Added surface perturbations to 2D water.
  • Updated various road, railroad, stream, shoreline, and wake textures.
  • Adjusted autogenerated building height.
  • Updated airport light visibility.
  • Improved weather interpolation between weather stations.
  • Airports can now be created with sloping runways.
  • Added new intensity value in lumens to PBR light effects.

I don't need v5 to compete with MSFS, I just need it to be a lot better than v4. As long as two aeroplane developers (as yet unconfirmed for v5) bring their aircraft into the new version, I'm all in for v5 until MSFS arrives.

The trashing of any flight sim from word not allowed of all sides makes no sense to me. None of them are perfect (MSFS won't be perfect either), yet they all have different plus points.
Admittedly, MSFS is going to have the overwhelming majority of positives for me compared to the others, but it's not going to be ready for a while. So in the meantime, I'm going to get the sim is going to keep me interested in the hobby for the next several months.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

8 minutes ago, F737NG said:

That's a very valid opinion and a lot of people will follow suit. It's refreshing to see some well-considered thinking.

There are a number of things that excite me about v5, namely:

• Enhanced performance through DX12.
  • trueSKY
  • Dynamic ocean with WaveWorks 2.0.
  • Added sloped runway support including AI takeoff and landing capabilities.
  • The map screen is now available during flight.
  • Updated global terrain, elevation, water/shoreline data, and traffic routes.
  • Ground contact reaction is now done per contact point.
  • Added surface perturbations to 2D water.
  • Updated various road, railroad, stream, shoreline, and wake textures.
  • Adjusted autogenerated building height.
  • Updated airport light visibility.
  • Improved weather interpolation between weather stations.
  • Airports can now be created with sloping runways.
  • Added new intensity value in lumens to PBR light effects.

I don't need v5 to compete with MSFS, I just need it to be a lot better than v4. As long as two aeroplane developers (as yet unconfirmed for v5) bring their aircraft into the new version, I'm all in for v5 until MSFS arrives.

The trashing of any flight sim from word not allowed of all sides makes no sense to me. None of them are perfect (MSFS won't be perfect either), yet they all have different plus points.
Admittedly, MSFS is going to have the overwhelming majority of positives for me compared to the others, but it's not going to be ready for a while. So in the meantime, I'm going to get the sim is going to keep me interested in the hobby for the next several months.

If those improvements are enought for you, sure you should upgrade, but for others it won't be enough. 

Also, MSFS2020 doesn't need to be perfect, but it seems to be better than our current sims, that's why some people are choosing to wait before investing on the old platforms.

• Like 2

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

11 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Also, MSFS2020 doesn't need to be perfect, but it seems to be better than our current sims, that's why some people are choosing to wait before investing on the old platforms.

BINGO!!! You hit the nail on the Head!

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

11 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

If those improvements are enought for you, sure you should upgrade, but for others it won't be enough. 

2 minutes ago, XCLTM3 said:

BINGO!!! You hit the nail on the Head!

Totally get that.
Just wanted to provide a more reasoned approach as to why some people will buy P3D5 and to combat the seemingly barage of negativity surrounding its upcoming release.

Doesn't make me any less excited for MSFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 hours ago, F737NG said:

Totally get that.
Just wanted to provide a more reasoned approach as to why some people will buy P3D5 and to combat the seemingly barage of negativity surrounding its upcoming release.

Doesn't make me any less excited for MSFS.

About the excessive negativity that nobody can deny. 

What have we seen these recent days ? A list of features (some looking quite promising), half a dozen of videos which range from bad to mediocre along the repetitive and tiresome arguments from the P3D mercenaries that it is normal that P3D looks ugly by default because, you know, it is only a plaform to hook great addons, that anyway simmers are not a priority for LM, yada yada yada.  Add to that the usual negative and unsubstantiated innuendoes of a wannabe guru against FS20 to spice it up (remember there is a large overlap of P3D users and FS20 potential buyers).

Just what people don’t want to hear anymore. One likes it or not, but MS has introduced a new paradigm : a platform which should be, at release , lovely and very detailed by default. Launching v5 like if the field was empty is rather dumb if you ask me, dumbness compounded by the « first response squad. »

Look at the awful night lighting video. They say, well it is awful all right but look how good is night lighting with Orbx TE. Wrong, I don’t want to fly where Orbx bottom line  tells me where I should fly and I think that our valiant addon community will bring me, in any case, even nicer night lights built on the FS20 platform (Time Square or Picadilly Circus anyone 😀 ?).

Looking forward to your first v5 screenshots and feeling after release !

Edited by domkle
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

We've got one sim that has displayed videos showing the sim at its best, and another sim with displayed videos showing the sim at its worse.  I think I'll hold off any comparisons between the two sims. 🙂

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

We've got one sim that has displayed videos showing the sim at its best, and another sim with displayed videos showing the sim at its worse.  I think I'll hold off any comparisons between the two sims. 🙂

Hook

Got any link to a source that confirms that the P3D videos where made to show the sim at its worst?

2 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

Got any link to a source that confirms that the P3D videos where made to show the sim at its worst?

How come I don't have you on ignore yet?

Larry Hookins