Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

VOXATC and P3d V5

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

For those of you interested in V5, FSUIPC6 is not yet available. It is $10 for FSUIPC5 license holders and works with both P3d4 and P3d5.

Maybe I'm wrong but I found it on http://www.fsuipc.com/

Not yet downloaded, I'm downloading P3Dv5 at this time.

Richard.

Edited by DrumsArt
I have to wait until it's on SimMarket to register it...

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I'm pretty sure that's the unlicensed version. The licenses aren't for sale yet on SimMarket. Since I don't have P3d5, I can't really help you with this.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I'm pretty sure that's the unlicensed version. The licenses aren't for sale yet on SimMarket. Since I don't have P3d5, I can't really help you with this.

No problem, you're right about the unlicensed version. Thank you.

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

my simple question ..... what is about V5 vs V4 that is of any "improvement" to what Vox already offers (even if it is compatible)

i see no changes to improve AI / runway control in the "media / features list"

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

14 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

For those of you interested in V5, FSUIPC6 is not yet available. It is $10 for FSUIPC5 license holders and works with both P3d4 and P3d5.

FSUIPC6 is currently available on SimMarket:

https://secure.simmarket.com/john-dowson-fsuipc6-for-p3dv4-5.phtml

Also, just adding my wish for continued support of VoxATC in P3Dv5 - I don't usually fly without it in v4.5 and I am seeing much better performace with v5, so the switch is inevitable.

Best,

sg

Edited by Gridley

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

On 4/10/2020 at 7:54 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

It's not hard to fix but I doubt that version 7.42 keeps track of x, y and z.  Then again it might, since it has to control the AI aircraft in the air. Unfortunately, you can't sit on the elusive Mr. West's doorstep at the moment, without being penalized. 👮🏻‍♀️🦠😷

I assume that you aren't upgrading to P3d5.

When X, Y, or Z doesn’t match what VoxATC is expecting, it seems to start coughing up fur balls.

By the way, like you, I am happy with my current 4.5 configuration. My current video card can’t even take advantage of the upgrade. 

I would like to hear from anyone who gets P3d5 if VoxATC works or not. That, Active Sky, and my fleet of A2A planes are the primary reason I don’t want to mess with it at this time. 

20 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

What you are asking for is conditional behavior, like what SODE

kind of / sort of, but yes a runway is different to a simobject per se.

i'm more thinking that the "scoring formulae" for runway assignment could be updated to be more predictable for a broader range of inputs, not just as current where it essentially defaults to the runway with an ils closest true north in light winds but can flip flop to the opposite / another if it increases by a knot of crosswind also swinging a degree.

for mine, it should allow tailwinds to 10kts to a primary runway which may not have an ils as the preferred & expected .....KSAN is a classic example of "non-real" behaviour (i realise depiction of a passing frontal change is a difficult ask in this given sims can't at least interpret a TAF).

for now though, i am happy to tweak vox to achieve most of the above by amonst others, using different afcads to suit the TAF etc...... 'tis why i prefer Vox.

so, P3D5 won't be for me if Vox is not compatible and / or P3DX does it itself.

for now, cheers

john martin

I thought a bit more about VOXATC + P3d5 and one way of testing this combo is to temporarily move all the P3d4 folders to safe location and rename the P3d5 folders as P3d4. This includes the main sim folder, the sim's ProgramData folder, the sim's AppData/Roaming folder and the sim's Documents/add-ons folder. Alternatively, one could temporarily edit the registry settings for P3d4 and have them point to the folder locations for P3d5.

I'd say it's hardly worth it just to see the Indexer fail when it hits the stock Courchevel Airport with its sloped runways, taxi paths and aprons. It appears that VOXATC has probably breathed its last breath, unless Tegwyn West knows something that we don't know. You'd think that he would like to make another $30 US for each P3d5 upgrade of VOXATC that he sold, but the lack of official communications from the developer leads me to believe that at least for now, he's moved on.

11 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I thought a bit more about VOXATC + P3d5 and one way of testing this combo is to temporarily move all the P3d4 folders to safe location and rename the P3d5 folders as P3d4. This includes the main sim folder, the sim's ProgramData folder, the sim's AppData/Roaming folder and the sim's Documents/add-ons folder. Alternatively, one could temporarily edit the registry settings for P3d4 and have them point to the folder locations for P3d5.

I'd say it's hardly worth it just to see the Indexer fail when it hits the stock Courchevel Airport with its sloped runways, taxi paths and aprons. It appears that VOXATC has probably breathed its last breath, unless Tegwyn West knows something that we don't know. You'd think that he would like to make another $30 US for each P3d5 upgrade of VOXATC that he sold, but the lack of official communications from the developer leads me to believe that at least for now, he's moved on.

Maybe adding Courchevel to P3Dv4 temporarily would at least allow the indexer test...of course that comes with it's own issues, but would be much faster (and less risky).  I may have time to try that this afternoon...

EDIT - I just want to mention that I would be very sad and disappointed if VoxATC was not updated for v5.  I had a fantastic sim flight yesterday in V5, probably one of the best flight sim experiences I've had.  I have added in my AI planes and FPs.  I have my favorite scenery addons loaded up.  I flew from KBID to 6B6 via PVD.  The airline traffic in and out of the larger airports in eastern New England was quite busy.  V5 was gorgeous to look at and smooth as silk.  The only issue - DEAD SILENCE and no interaction from me!  I personally and I think many people here would agree, this hobby needs something like VoxATC where both traffic and ATC is controlled and interactive.  Nothing else out there comes close to what VoxATC offers.

Edited by Gridley

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Good luck. You're right. Your approach is less messy. But the solution of redirecting VOXATC to the correct P3d5 folders means fiddling with a working P3d4 installation, which could be dangerous also without using the  proper backup procedures. I agree that it is worth it to get VOXATC working in P3d5.

I just thought of one other testing option for the adventurous souls among us:

1. Move the two VOXATC GAU files and vast.cfg from the P3d4 gauges subfolder to the same folder in P3d5.
  2. Move the VOXATC SimObjects from the P3d4 SimObjects/Misc subfolder to the same folder in P3d5.
  3. Move an aircraft that has VOXATC enabled in panel.cfg from P3d4 to P3d5.
  4. Run P3d5 and enable the VOXATC gauges from the menu.

This will only work if your SimObject and scenery libraries are very similar in both P3d4 and P3d5, as the Indexer isn't being run first. It would be better to test this out on a plain vanilla install of both sims. There will be obvious mismatches, but at least VOXATC might run.

15 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I just thought of one other testing option for the adventurous souls among us:

1. Move the two VOXATC GAU files and vast.cfg from the P3d4 gauges subfolder to the same folder in P3d5.
  2. Move the VOXATC SimObjects from the P3d4 SimObjects/Misc subfolder to the same folder in P3d5.
  3. Move an aircraft that has VOXATC enabled in panel.cfg from P3d4 to P3d5.
  4. Run P3d5 and enable the VOXATC gauges from the menu.

This will only work if your SimObject and scenery libraries are very similar in both P3d4 and P3d5, as the Indexer isn't being run first. It would be better to test this out on a plain vanilla install of both sims. There will be obvious mismatches, but at least VOXATC might run.

Using the above suggestion as a starting point I have got VoxATC working in P3D v5.

I have also got the Indexer and the Panel tool to work by tricking them into thinking they were still looking at v4.

I achieved this by creating a folder junction/symbolic link between an empty 'Prepar3D v4' folder and the new 'Prepar3D v5' in each of the following locations:

• C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin
  • C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin
  • I:\Lockheed Martin

I must say so far I'm very impressed with the performance of v5, it is leaps and bounds ahead of v4.

• Like 1

That's great news. The problem is matching up all the scenery and SimObjects in P3d4 and P3d5. Does this mean that the Indexer ignored the V5-specific fields in the few stock BGL files with sloped features?

Edited by jabloomf1230

Matching up SimObjects between v4 and v5? I think running the two version in parallel with Vox will be difficult, but not impossible. 

The Indexer didn’t throw any errors with v5, but I’ve not had chance to test extensively. It’s possible a flight plan to a sloped runway could cause issues.

However, slopes runways wasn’t impossible in FSX. Take Aerosoft’s Cuzco X for example. That had a sloped runway, but Vox didn’t have any issue with it.