Sign in to follow this  
cwburnett

Anyone have an AMD Radeon GPU working with v5?

Anyone have an AMD Radeon GPU working with v5?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use an AMD Radeon GPU and, if so, are you experiencing a CTD on changing view TO the cockpit?

• I have an AMD Radeon GPU and I am experiencing a CTD when changing views TO the cockpit.
    • I have an AMD Radeon GPU and I am NOT experiencing a CTD when changing views TO the cockpit.
    • I have an AMD Radeon GPU and I am experiencing a CTD, but not related to changing views.

This survey is to provide feedback to LM in conjunction with an active topic on the Prepar3d forum. Only reply to this poll if you use an AMD Radeon GPU - does not apply to NVidia GPU users.

If you do respond to the poll, please also add a comment with which Radeon card you're using (e.g. 5700, 5700XT, 5600XT, Radeon VII, etc).

If you can also include your driver version that would be helpful (e.g. 20.4.1 or 20.2.2, etc).

If you can also include your OS build that would be helpful (e.g. 1909, etc).

If you can describe the situation, that may also be helpful.

Edited by cwburnett

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

I have a Radeon VII, 20.4.1 Win 10 1909 Max graphics settings all really smooth.

Phil

2 minutes ago, philmurfin said:

I have a Radeon VII, 20.4.1 Win 10 1909 Max graphics settings all really smooth.

Phil

That's great to hear, I was actually considering a VII now that they're available in the $500 range just for the 16GB of lightning fast VRAM. I was on 20.4.1, then after getting the CTDs I DDU'd back to 20.2.2. I'm thinking about throwing in a spare SSD and building a fresh 1909 install with 20.4.1 and trying v5 on that, but thought I'd wait for some more feedback before jumping through that particular hoop.

Nice, I just happen to have an old 128GB 840 Pro laying around, so I'm trying that out. Installing now. Fingers crossed a totally fresh OS, driver and install does the trick...

2 hours ago, philmurfin said:

Phil

thanks for the input, altough i have a 2080TI the 16 GB of VRAM seem now very lovley with DX12 because in TE GB South with terrain fully maxed out the 11 GB are not enough for V5 at 4K resolution

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

On 4/15/2020 at 6:31 PM, philmurfin said:

Phil

Hi Phil,

I also run Radeon vii, and have not bought v5 yet. Does yours work with Nvidia waterworks? Thus, is it compatible with Waterworks?

Regards

Marius

Should work otherwise it would be a big fail vor LM to not think about the AMD users.  Although we are minority 😉

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

On 4/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, cwburnett said:

That's great to hear, I was actually considering a VII now that they're available in the $500 range just for the 16GB of lightning fast VRAM. I was on 20.4.1, then after getting the CTDs I DDU'd back to 20.2.2. I'm thinking about throwing in a spare SSD and building a fresh 1909 install with 20.4.1 and trying v5 on that, but thought I'd wait for some more feedback before jumping through that particular hoop.

I'd be interested in this as well...for that 16 GB!  I've never owned anything else but nVidia...what are the ATI drivers like?

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Well, FWIW I put the Radeon VII in today and it was a fail. I still got the same CTDs as the 5700XT and lost about 15% of my performance. Spent a few hours with it, pulled it back out and will ship it back to Amazon. ☹️

It appears that isn't the easy answer I hoped it would be. I did get to use the extra VRAM, but I could no longer maintain 30fps, so had to turn things back down anyhow...

That said, before it arrived I managed to make up some graphics profiles for the 5700 that work well and include Truesky. I'll try to document some of them tomorrow for all the 8GBers that might be interested.

I currently get about 17-25 FPS at EGLL with settings pretty high, but for sure i lost some frames compared to the 2080 TI. But i don`t have any OOM regarding VRAM 🙂

I hope in my case the water cooler will help squeze out some more frames.

What i don`t understand is why the GPU Clock is jumping arround like crazy even when the gpu is at 97 % Usage.  It jumps to 600 , 1700 , 900 Mhz all the time. Should i install the older driver? I use 20.4.1 currently. 

@cwburnett thanks for your affinity mask settings use HT with your affinity mask runns quite well still as mentioned i can only achive currently aobut 17- 25 FPS over London City with all nearly cranked up fully.  But thats nearly 100 % immprovment over V4 and there i had much lower settings for builindgs , trees ....

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

Runs like a charm on my PC with a Radeon RX480 (8Gb DDR 5 VRAM). Unlike many flight simmers, I never use NVidia GPUs, always AMD ones because frankly they are better value for money.

I get a solid 30 fps (locked) in V5, when flying over the Eiffel Tower with VFR France's Ile De France add-on ramped up to full autogen detail and with 100 percent road traffic. That would have completely brought P3D V4 to a standstill requiring me to quit it with the task manager, but V5 just eats it up no problem now that my GPU can take on the work..

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

funny completly uninstalled p3d v5 and reinstalled it.  Now i have 30 Fps directly outsight of the city and about 20 - 25 FPS over the city.

sfo_a320.png

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Runs like a charm on my PC with a Radeon RX480 (8Gb DDR 5 VRAM). Unlike many flight simmers, I never use NVidia GPUs, always AMD ones because frankly they are better value for money.

I get a solid 30 fps (locked) in V5, when flying over the Eiffel Tower with VFR France's Ile De France add-on ramped up to full autogen detail and with 100 percent road traffic. That would have completely brought P3D V4 to a standstill requiring me to quit it with the task manager, but V5 just eats it up no problem now that my GPU can take on the work.

That's right, I have an equal gpu and it works very well, better than in V4.
However I have noticed stuttering in clouds (I am not using advanced atmosphere), but that does not cause failure or drop in performance.
Edited by yvjjflores

Strange is one of your gys using the NGXu with this workaround for installation?  

For me the Graphics Driver crashes when i load the NGXu in P3D. 

sfo_a320.png