Sign in to follow this  
captain420

PMDG 777 vs PMDG 747-8

I have flown both, but not extensively enough to know if there are any major noticeable differences. They seem very similar to me in terms of operating and flying. I wanted to know from anyone here who has flown both and has extensive knowledge in both models to tell me if there's any major differences. I'm not talking about visual differences but more from a flying and operating perspective on how you would fly the plane and the computer systems, etc. Is one more difficult to learn and fly than the other or do you think they are almost the same?

Aaron Vinci

----------------

Intel i9 10900K (no overclock) / Windows 10 Pro 2004 64 bit / 64GB DDR4 3200MHz CL 16RAM / EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB RAM / 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) / 2TB SATA SSD / 4TB SATA HDD / 850watt PSU

IMHO the 747 is a lot more fun. Not as automated so there is a little more to do like managing fuel balance. Very good sound package and a world of options. I would recommend the Queen for sure but that's just preference. I'm sure some T7 fan will jump all over me.🙄 

• Upvote 2

Vic green

Tend to agree with you, Chris. I got to grips with the 747 in FS9 long before the 777 saw the light of the day, and have liked it ever since. Joy to hand-fly to 10k, and on approaches too..

• Upvote 1

Rick Almeida

777 is older, 747 has just been freshly updated - and is v5 compatible (works great, just flew YMML to YSCB).

Also “crossed the pond” with the 747 yesterday EGLL to KJFK, and it worked much better than my earlier attempt with an A321!

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

For normal operations, both are fairly similar.  I don't think the level of automation on the 777 is much different than the 747...fuel feed is reconfigured once in the 747 during a long flight...not exactly a major workload.

The 747-8 adds some complexity with the EFB (if you use it), and benefits some from being a more recent product given that PMDG tends to incorporate improvements and lessons-learned forward in their product line.

Biggest drawback for the 747-8 is that it just doesn't fit on a lot of airports.  It's less of an issue for the cargo variants, but still an issue...I've spent a fair amount of time modding ADE files to accommodate parking the -8.

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 5xSamsung SSD, eVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

747 vs 777? Hmmm, let's see...

Well, although neither of them are truly intended for aerial combat, I think I'll have to go with the 777, since it can probably out-turn the 747.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here