Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

PMDG Announcement - re MSFS

Err, saying MFS instead of what was called FS2020 as in latest video, I think hes pointing to FS2022/3 when the new version pops.  All that planning, all new capabilities, by the time they get one, plus another year of beta of each product....

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Can't be true. Some people indicated the SDK was so bad that there is no hope. [/sarcasm]

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

5 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

I hope its close!

I wouldn't expect to see the final release until some time in the fall.

NAX669.png

5 hours ago, yidahoo said:

Will be interesting to see how they price these additions. Obviously for most it will probably be full price but I wonder if they will try to justify MSFS as a professional flight sim and charge the P3D price as opposed to the FSX price. I am betting on the former. 

Yup, that's definitely one to watch. Developing for P3D (not marketed as a game) was the excuse/reasoning for hiking the prices up a bit, and in fairness, there was some justification for that in terms of licensing costs. The notion of having to tweak things from their FSX (marketed as a game) counterparts was also offered as a reason and that was never really that convincing as a justification for a notable increase in price; many add-ons have a single installer which works for FSX and P3D. Sure there is some work involved in crossing the divide, but not as much as some developers would like people who aren't that savvy on the structure of the two sims to believe. Anyway, ho-hum.

MSFS2020 however (or whatever the hell it ends up being called) most definitely is being marketed as a game, so I guess we'll see what that does in terms of development licencing fees in comparison to those for P3D.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Beside all the marketing mumbo jumbo about a sim being for the pro or consumer market, the reality is that P3D has introduced a new cost for developers. Their refreshing patches everything 6 months or so with HF in-between require adaptative work from them. That cost has to be reflected in prices. It is only natural that an aircraft for P3D is more expensive than the same for FSX.  If FS20 follows suit as it is probable, we can expect the same.

Also, the price does not cover only the costs but also the investment in future products which can be quite high, I suppose, for hight end birds.

Before anybody says that I have sold my soul to PMDG, I may add that I don’t own any of their products. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

I hope its close!

If it stays on schedule then maybe November that`s a BIG IF.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

20 minutes ago, MarkW said:

and the best part is that becuase MSFS is an entertainment product, PMDG will of course lower prices to sell to the masses.  Anyone wanna bet?

Sure. And toad frogs will stop bumping their arses when they hop.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

and the best part is that becuase MSFS is an entertainment product, PMDG will of course lower prices to sell to the masses.  Anyone wanna bet?

And others will have be forced to follow I take it and addon airports will have to drop there prices .

Raymond Fry.

55 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

And others will have be forced to follow I take it and addon airports will have to drop there prices .

Well not really, I can't recall any addon airport developer making the case that they had to charge more for P3D because it was a sim for professionals and not entertainment.  PMDG we making this case non stop to justify the higher prices for P3D.

Here is a quote from RSR on the PMDG Facebook page:

Some have expressed concern about forward compatibility with LM version changes. We have already indicated that our current product licensing will carry you through at least v3.x and x64bit conversion, which we anticipate taking place in v3.x... based on publicly available information.) I am unable to predict what will happen beyond this, but at that point we are likely a good 2 years out and we will evaluate what is fair for the marketplace at that time.
Our enterprise and professional products on P3D will have significantly higher license costs ($1,800-$25,000+ based upon what is required) and our enterprise product line will also require the purchase of an annual maintenance contract. This pricing is directly in line with the professional and enterprise software market and deals with the larger issues of certification cost, intellectual property licensing and liability mitigation. Our intial plan for P3D included only these market sectors, but we recognize that there are many non-professional users interested in our products who are using P3D and thus we created a license/pricing bracket to meet the needs of those individuals without dilluting our professional and enterprise market.

Edited by MarkW

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

14 hours ago, MarkW said:

Well not really, I can't recall any addon airport developer making the case that they had to charge more for P3D because it was a sim for professionals and not entertainment.  PMDG we making this case non stop to justify the higher prices for P3D.

Here is a quote from RSR on the PMDG Facebook page:

Some have expressed concern about forward compatibility with LM version changes. We have already indicated that our current product licensing will carry you through at least v3.x and x64bit conversion, which we anticipate taking place in v3.x... based on publicly available information.) I am unable to predict what will happen beyond this, but at that point we are likely a good 2 years out and we will evaluate what is fair for the marketplace at that time.
Our enterprise and professional products on P3D will have significantly higher license costs ($1,800-$25,000+ based upon what is required) and our enterprise product line will also require the purchase of an annual maintenance contract. This pricing is directly in line with the professional and enterprise software market and deals with the larger issues of certification cost, intellectual property licensing and liability mitigation. Our intial plan for P3D included only these market sectors, but we recognize that there are many non-professional users interested in our products who are using P3D and thus we created a license/pricing bracket to meet the needs of those individuals without dilluting our professional and enterprise market.

Lets hope for your sake then that MS don't req third party`s to buy an expensive license for developing in MSFS, $50 to $80 for an FSX GA aircraft with no licence is fair. Don't forget MS don't do things for love like the rest it`s about MONEY that's how LM got ESP.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

I use XP11 and I have never used P3D and any PMDG products, but from what I saw on YouTube videos, the cockpit of the PMDG 737 (just the interior, exterior is pretty nice) is not jaw dropping at all. I wonder if they are going to redesign the cockpit to match it to FS2020 quality standards?

• Upvote 1

I can already smell the BS we'll get from them once their MSFS addons are out. Just wait for it, they will go on the road of saying that MSFS is a new era of simulators which many more capabilities, which required additional work, which will be reflected in a P3D like price.

This is exactly why i hoped there woudn't be any kind of backward compatibility, it's the only way to have a good margin of certainty about having developers actually work on their addon, take advantage of the new technological offerings and not re-use many previously used assets.

Edited by Pastaiolo
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

20 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Sure. And toad frogs will stop bumping their arses when they hop.

They don't need to. As long as we hear the bump in the new sim 😄