Sign in to follow this  
jay281

Loosing the love for P3D

I’ve had P3D for years, and loved it. I have a word not allowed-ton of addons from FSL through to full Orbx regions, but since V5 I’ve been lost. I think I’ve come to the conclusion that the platform has limitations that I can’t ignore anymore. For example, blurring textures outside of the LOD, I get thats by design, but it’s off putting, or random stuttering because of poorly optimised scenery, newly added eye candy, but it runs like a bag of word not allowed, or is half baked causing poor performance. But, that aside, the biggest kick in the word not allowed is the need to run the sim at 30fps/30hz with a 9900ks and a 2080ti just to stop the massive word not allowed fluctuations in FPS and frame times that lead to inconsistent performance, and the manifestation of stutters. 

Now I have that of my chest I feel better.

What’s the solution? Well, I’ve been playing around with XP11 Vulkan beta, and its impressive. 50-60fps over Orbx Socal with the sliders pretty maxed, and some pretty heavy payware AC. 

XP11 has its limitations too don’t get me wrong, but the platform seems to hide these better than P3D. 

Sigh.....Im really torn. Anybody else feel the same?

James.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

Both are old cars that get you where you want to go despite the ergonomics and options being much different.

For every new convert there is a person at the end of their rope with XP. Same song for p3d. This chorus will only get louder once MFS goes live.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

You are not alone. P3D performance with even upper-mid range specs and lower is depressing.  And with v5 you are going to tell me that a $700 RTX 2080 just won't cut it because 8GB is just not enough video memory any more??? (...meanwhile at Asobo studios... "8GB video memory not enough?...hold my beer 🙂 )

Chris

2 hours ago, jay281 said:

But, that aside, the biggest kick in the word not allowed is the need to run the sim at 30fps/30hz with a 9900ks and a 2080ti just to stop the massive word not allowed fluctuations in FPS and frame times that lead to inconsistent performance, and the manifestation of stutters. 

Now I have that of my chest I feel better.

Happy you feel better!  🙂

What I do not understand is your regrets about flying at 30 fps..

I just flew from Skagway to Juneau in my G600/GTN750 equipped Kodiak and it was beautiful all the way (EA enabled, Orbx SAK).

Smoother than I have ever experienced in any flightsim, and yes if I were to turn on the fps counter, at 30 fps all the way..  But I never did.. just massively enjoyed the experience.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

46 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

What I do not understand is your regrets about flying at 30 fps..

Hi Bert,

It’s the lag, switching from normal games 60fps+ to flightsim in 30fps/hz is horrible. It’s a transition that takes time to come accustom too. Even when you do become climatized, getting stutters, even small, is infuriating, and quite frankly insulting to my rig, and eyes. 

In XP11 vulkan I can average 45-50fps over LAX with Orbx Socal and high AG. Attempt this in V5 (apples to apples settings) and your in for a world of pain. 

56 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

For every new convert there is a person at the end of their rope with XP. Same song for p3d.

Steve,

Absolutely agree. However imho XP vulkan inadequacies are easier to cover with the better FPS. 

I supposed we are FPS spoilt with newer AAA titles and genres. 

49 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

$700 RTX 2080 just won't cut it

Coil,

My wallet is tired of chasing flightsim nirvana.  

Edited by jay281
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

I have lost the "love" for P3D as well (maybe simming in general if I am honest). I like V5 and get quite good performance with my Ryzen 3900X and 2080Ti. That said, there are some bugs and things feel like they are moving at a glacial pace. I also get the feeling that once I am up and running with all the add-ons I want I'll be back to the ridiculous tweaking CFG settings again.

I haven't run XP in months either. Just can't bring me to it any more even though I "love" that sim as well.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

2 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

I also get the feeling that once I am up and running with all the add-ons I want I'll be back to the ridiculous tweaking CFG settings again.

Yep. This is what happened to me today. This is what led to my post.

3 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

I haven't run XP in months either.

Give it ago, I was very impressed with the vulkan beta. Most of the addons are fast becoming compatible. 

To everyone his own. But just recently, I find myself flying more Prepar3D and X-Plane than in a long time before. I like v5 and I like X-Plane with Vulkan and my X-Europe and Orthos. And yes, I have access to that other new sim. 

• Like 1

Hans

1 minute ago, hjsmuc said:

To everyone his own. But just recently, I find myself flying more Prepar3D and X-Plane than in a long time before. I like v5 and I like X-Plane with Vulkan and my X-Europe and Orthos. And yes, I have access to that other new sim. 

I couldn’t begin to imagine looking after 3 sims 😂

1 minute ago, jay281 said:

I couldn’t begin to imagine looking after 3 sims 😂

Yep, that's quite right. It costs a lot of time and money to just look after two. Eventually, people will decide where their flying habits are cared for most. Therefore, I think, they will all be around for a long time. 

Hans

I think for me, performance consistency is important. If I have a stutter or hitch at 30fps it’s far more noticeable than 50 or 60.

16 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

sadly some aren't even sure what they've done over time

Rob,

Yep. Having helped a lot of people sort their sims out, this situation unfortunately is far too common. If we could sustain 50-60fps on average in P3D, with reasonable slider positions I don’t we/they would be constantly searching for “tweaks” just to gain 2-3fps. But unfortunately when working with powerful systems on the cusp of a PowerPoint presentation, every little helps. 

I absolutely agree with all your points, I’m quite computer/sim savvy. I suppose I have just come to a crossroads in my simming life, and I need to make a choice, for the sake of my wallet, and sanity.

I enjoy both sims, warts and all, but recently P3D has been letting me down, and as such making me more aware of it shortfalls. 

Edited by jay281
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jay281 said:

Hi Bert,

It’s the lag, switching from normal games 60fps+ to flightsim in 30fps/hz is horrible. It’s a transition that takes time to come accustom too. Even when you do become climatized, getting stutters, even small, is infuriating, and quite frankly insulting to my rig, and eyes. 

If you are looking for a flightsim game, P3D is indeed not a good choice.. end of story. 😉

Hopefully you will do better with MS FS2020 🙂

• Like 1

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

game

I knew that choice of word would bite me in the donkey. 😂

Bert, let’s be quite honest, 30fps in 2020 is a joke, either in a game or simulator. 

If I wanted 30fps, I’d buy a console. 

Edited by jay281
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

To the OP....Just stop reading about gamers getting 120-400 FPS and turn off your Frames counter and enjoy a smooth flight. It is really that easy. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/