Sign in to follow this  
jay281

Loosing the love for P3D

11 hours ago, jay281 said:

Sure, after years of fiddling with P3D, this just isn’t true. 

Uh...it certainly IS true and factual.  I did literally only change two (2) settings related to vsync when I installed P3Dv5HF2, and I started my flight and began flying with smooth flight.

Here, I'll elaborate, just in case you care.  P3Dv5HF2 comes default with a settings profile that has the internal frame limiter set to 30, and vysnc OFF.  Anyone who has installed P3Dv5HF2 knows this.   I simply set the internal frame limiter to "Unlimited" and selected the vsync ON checkbox, and I was set.  That is literally exactly what I did.  If you don't believe that, I can't help you.  It's what I actually did.  (shrugs)   You can choose to disbelieve what I did, and what I experienced, and I could understand that since you weren't there, watching me -- but that is your prerogative, and I won't lose any sleep over it.  I know the 2 things I did, and I'm good with it.

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

12 hours ago, jay281 said:

I do, but it involves to much of a compromise.

There we go, the magic words.  Best wishes in finding "the love" elsewhere. 

I use XP, P3D, MSFS and all three of them require compromises even on my monster rig and even more compromises on my test rigs.

This does sound more like a breaking up with a partner, ... "It's not you, it's me ... oh wait, no it's you, not me" ...

I think AVSIM needs a "breakup" forum, a "swingers" forum, and "I'm back" forum 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

My enthusiasm for P3D (or flight simulation in general) is on a bit of a roller coaster ride these days. Too many little niggles frustrate me, like heavy stutters in specific locations around the UK, other annoying stutters that seem to occur (for no apparent reason) at regular intervals when on the ground, and the throttle wheel on my CH Flightstick Pro joystick constantly "sticking" when I am trying to taxi smoothly in my Boeing 737-600 (this last one is starting to drive me nuts). It can easily destroy my enthusiasm for flying, even if I have loaded P3D in a positive mood.

I just want everything to work properly, without feeling like I am fighting against it all the time.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

and the throttle wheel on my CH Flightstick Pro joystick constantly "sticking" when I am trying to taxi smoothly in my Boeing 737-600

That doesn't sound like an LM issue.  FYI, if a USB device is border line "connected" or having power/data issues, it can cause stutters as P3D will try to deal with a device disconnect and reconnect.

Bring up Win10 joystick control panel and calibrate the device and check to see if all motion is "smooth" and not jerky.  Any jerky motion during calibration usually indicates a problem USB device or a problem USB port/connection.

Alternatively, it could be that your control assignments are conflicting.  I typically clear out ALL button and Axis assignments on ALL the devices P3D finds in both "Normal" and "Slew" modes.  I actually made a request for LM to provide a quick and easy way to clear out all assignments (button in the UI for controllers), sadly that didn't happen (too busy dealing with Raul's requests), too bad because it's a very common problem with a very simple solution.

If you use FSUIPC6 then check assignments there and do a reset.

Cheers, Rob.

Whether these issues are related to P3D or not is irrelevant. My point is that niggles and issues (from any source) can significantly reduce my enjoyment of flight simulation. The "sticking" of the joystick throttle wheel has nothing whatsoever to do with P3D. It is simply a side issue that enhances the overall frustration, and causes me to lose interest. Buying a new joystick would probably solve this particular issue in the short term, but it would not solve those stutters. For the record, those "heavy stutters" occur in exactly the same locations every time, so they certainly are P3D issues. You could argue that I should reduce my settings, but doing that would destroy the visual realism, and that is something that I will not do. I would rather not fly at all than be forced to fly with low resolution textures and sparse autogen.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

32 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Buying a new joystick would probably solve this particular issue in the short term, but it would not solve those stutters.

I don't know, but like I said, a joystick that has issues can and will cause stutters in P3D ... so yes it is relevant to stutters.  I have seen this happen on my own FS PC ... the issue used to travel from device to device, sometimes it was my yoko yoke, sometimes it was TQ6 throttles, sometimes it was my GoFlight gear, sometimes it was Crosswind rudders ... it's very obvious, the calibration motion is very jerky/lagging.  The solution was actually to get another PCIe USB card AND fix a faulty wire in my TQ6.  It WAS relevant to P3D since that is where the problem was very noticeable ... it surfaced in other sims/games also so it needed fixing.

So what area was triggering the stutters (assuming no add-ons loaded)?  If you are using add-ons, then list relevant ones so I can test with and without add-on.  I have a dev PC that is middle of the road (similar in performance to what you have) and can test that location (geo coordinates would be best).

Cheers, Rob.

As I’m still an FSX dinosaur I’m looking at this thread from the outside as it were. However, although my plan had been to eventually move to P3D when my current rig eventually breathes its last, I have become a little concerned of late by the issues caused by what seem like relatively frequent upgrades to P3D. Although upgrades in general are a good thing I guess, the necessity to reinstall a lot of software when LM upgrades P3D seems a little troublesome. For this reason I am glad that when the time comes I will now have a choice between P3D and the pending new MS simulator.

Bill

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scianoir said:

the necessity to reinstall a lot of software when LM upgrades P3D seems a little troublesome. 

If you install add-ons outside the sim (which I do) -- it is no longer necessary to reinstall anything when upgrading the sim.  

• Upvote 1

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

21 minutes ago, Mace said:

If you install add-ons outside the sim (which I do) -- it is no longer necessary to reinstall anything when upgrading the sim.  

That's very good to know - thank you!

Bill

I dare someone to try 30fps using track IR. It’s good for a headache 🙂 

I can’t even imagine VR at 30fps. 

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I dare someone to try 30fps using track IR

I have, no problems, very smooth.  If one set the motion profile up correctly for trackIR, its very smooth at 30 FPS.

I’ve seen a lot of trackIR users videos with very sensitive profiles which will trigger excessive motion on minor head movements ... that’ll make anyone sick regardless of FPS.

Anyway for those that require 60 FPS just dial your graphics settings down a notch, it really is that easy ... I really don’t get why this simple task is apparently impossible?

Cheers, Rob

Edited by Rob_Ainscough

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I dare someone to try 30fps using track IR. It’s good for a headache 🙂 

I can’t even imagine VR at 30fps. 

Seriously? TrackIR is perfectly fine at 30 fps. Want slightly higher frame rates with coarser precision? Change the TrackIR camera from performance to standard. It sends a lot less information down the already clogged SimConnect channel.

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I have, no problems, very smooth.  If one set the motion profile up correctly for trackIR, its very smooth at 30 FPS.

I’ve seen a lot of trackIR users videos with very sensitive profiles which will trigger excessive motion on minor head movements ... that’ll make anyone sick regardless of FPS.

Anyway for those that require 60 FPS just dial your graphics settings down a notch, it really is that easy ... I really don’t get why this simple task is apparently impossible?

Cheers, Rob

To be fair, reducing graphics settings is not part of my genetic code :smile:

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

40 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

reducing graphics settings is not part of my genetic code

Unfortunately your DNA will control your wallet and force you to fork out large sums of cash for hardware ... and if you think MSFS is going to make it less painful on your wallet, then you might want to pick a different hobby 🙂

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 1

You can tell when a new sim version is on the horizon you get threads like this, you will see more before the end of the year. 

i9 10900K\ASUS 490 APEX \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ 3 +1TB M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus  \ 2 X 1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba SATA\ 32GB G.SKILL Z 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.2hf

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg