Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

MSFS thread for X-Plane users.

Mtaxp makes a valid point amongst the noise of largely useless speculation, here and elsewhere. He or she says: Go check the Bing maps, on which this new sim is based. I did, and discovered that in my particular country, the imagery is around five years out of date, and for quality it doesn't compare too well with Google's alternative. I'll spend a dollar having a look around post-18 August, but my guess (highly educated, since I am a survivor of Windows 3.0, wounded in action circa 1993) is that the old tried-and-proven Microsoft hype machine is unlikely to deliver that miracle cure so many have convinced themselves is coming. Nevertheless, hope springs eternal...

• Upvote 1

I wish it was released now so all this Speculative conversation can be replaced with real facts. 
I am also very curious as to what XP12 brings. I personally believe XP12 will be smoother overall, but that’s only going by what I know so far, and of course I could be completely wrong. It’s going to be fun testing though. 
The weather system alone will be reasons enough to switch to MSFS, if the fight dynamics are half decent. 

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I am also very curious as to what XP12 brings. I personally believe XP12 will be smoother overall

I think the problem Laminar have with XP12 is basically the exact opposite of the problems MS are having with MSFS.

A plane maker, performance, scenery and shader overhaul looks great on paper. and people will buy it. it will also be awesome I'm sure.

But these are not really a sales problem, absolutely no one is saying "I'm not buying XP11 because plane maker and air foil maker is a pita to use".

Laminar is a phenomenal international company, flawless core values, best at what they do.

And FSX is still the "goto first" sim, and people still compare XP11 with FSX. XP12 looks unlikely to change this. In fact the only thing I have seen that is changing this is people are now comparing it with MSFS2020, and yes, XP11 is still coming out on top (for the majority of people - I would posit)

But on the current trajectory MSFS2020 will become the "goto first" sim, no matter how shockingly bad it is, because MS have no problem flooding the market with 3DMax renders implying they are what you will see in sim.

Laminar, being a decent company, obviously will never resort to such tactics, but they really need to "fix their s'it" - at least the things everyone has to do to make XP11 a decent working sim. They need to lean on and assist (more) the vast addon market as an asset - and not leave that job to the "buy before you try no refunds" hole that is the org, or "winblows only" junk sale for products that rely on gizmo.

In short, they really need to reclaim and makeover their brand from the damage done and being done to it.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

9 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I think the problem Laminar have with XP12 is basically the exact opposite of the problems MS are having with MSFS.

A plane maker, performance, scenery and shader overhaul looks great on paper. and people will buy it. it will also be awesome I'm sure.

But these are not really a sales problem, absolutely no one is saying "I'm not buying XP11 because plane maker and air foil maker is a pita to use".

Laminar is a phenomenal international company, flawless core values, best at what they do.

And FSX is still the "goto first" sim, and people still compare XP11 with FSX. XP12 looks unlikely to change this. In fact the only thing I have seen that is changing this is people are now comparing it with MSFS2020, and yes, XP11 is still coming out on top (for the majority of people - I would posit)

But on the current trajectory MSFS2020 will become the "goto first" sim, no matter how shockingly bad it is, because MS have no problem flooding the market with 3DMax renders implying they are what you will see in sim.

Laminar, being a decent company, obviously will never resort to such tactics, but they really need to "fix their s'it" - at least the things everyone has to do to make XP11 a decent working sim. They need to lean on and assist (more) the vast addon market as an asset - and not leave that job to the "buy before you try no refunds" hole that is the org, or "winblows only" junk sale for products that rely on gizmo.

In short, they really need to reclaim and makeover their brand from the damage done and being done to it.

Yeah but I believe XP11 will be dead in the water after 11.50 is final. I can’t see any more work on it. It will probably all shift to XP12. If that is the case, that leave a good sim like XP11, with a crappy weather system. 

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

that leave a good sim like XP11, with a crappy weather system.

not with addons, and even without addons at least not spawning a whole new series of

That MSFS2020 will from anyone taking their weather system seriously. On that note I really hope the FAA step in and do something to stop MS killing people.....  which really feels like will be the outcome of what I have seen from the leaks so far if anyone makes the mistake of considering it a simulator, which I'm sure they will, given the name.

XP11 default weather may have its flaws, but at least it doesn't pretend you can fly anywhere near a storm front and live to tell the tale, it just doesn't try to simulate storm fronts.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

They do not show 3dsMax renders, images and short clips are 4K in game.

• Like 1

What  you have seen in the trailer is 100% real and in real time. I have seen it from my own eyes  I can't talk about the alpha but I think some people will be surprise about what they get out of the box. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

D99-BF165-6-BA4-4-EA6-BDCE-47-ABCEFF0852

I well hope so. No one is asking for screenshots yet, but a laid down article with the main features they are working on would be nice without having to check replies in some blog post.

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, mp15 said:

They do not show 3dsMax renders

Im pretty sure msfs2020 is exclusively 3dmax renders.

If they were blender renders they would look waaay better. np.

AutoATC Developer

what you are showing is The Foundry NUKE composition of different render passes such as beauty, ambient occlusion, reflections, specular levels so forth and so on, as a 3D Dynamic Simulation expert i can tell you that Blender is very nice but it is all about the render engine you are using, 3Ds max is capable of using Arnold and or Red Shift, I find 3Ds Max more robust than Blender, however the level of rendering should be much more advanced in comparison to what MFS has shown so far, i'm pretty sure they are using in-games pictures and short videos not 3Ds Max.

The video you posted on top showing the A320 hitting hard and bouncing at SFO shows less detail in comparison to released imagery by MFS, that is because the video is not 4K, it is horribly encoded and very very compressed.

As for physics i made a similar test in xplane landing at 350kts on a similar aoa and i got a similar outcome with the only difference that in xplane i saw:

landing gear deflected to its limits.

bouncing was minor.

friction was less permissive.

wing flexed drastically.

But the overal outcome was similar.

31 minutes ago, mp15 said:

3Ds max is capable of using Arnold and or Red Shift

£DMax: The price of an annual 3ds Max subscription is $1,620

Arnold: he price of a 3-year Arnold subscription is $970

Red Shift: $500

The reason it would look waay better if they could use blender, is 3DMax can only access the windows users (unsure where the power button is, need to call tech support if their son unplugs it)

And everyone knows the best creators and artists use macOS, and the best engineers/simulation experts use Linux.

less about the software, more about the people who can/will use it.

25 minutes ago, mp15 said:

But the overal outcome was similar.

BS, the differences are night and day.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

You've testified how I resolved my own plane design in a fully functionable matter for X-plane in less than a month without knowing aviation.

I've been teaching A.I algorythms on super computers with 16 modules of 256gb of Ram @ Linux.

i'm offended if you dont see myself in the group of the best artists and simulation experts of the world.

For me, 3Ds Max and Blender are basic software.

We use different software based on phyton 100% procedural flow for simulations now, the options are for Windows, MacOs and Linux.

I usually use Windows but I process on Linux to maximize process power.

I admire Meyer and Spudnik, and it will be very hard to surpass their level @ BET

I could show you precisely how an aircraft at 350kts on mid pay load touch down should reakt.