Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

MSFS thread for X-Plane users.

6 hours ago, tonywob said:

I'm not sure how to take this. I'm a huge supporter and fan of X-Plane and have used it for years and develop extensively for it, but I can't deny that MFS looks next-gen and will move the entire genre forward. You simply can't judge all these things from a Youtube video, and until you try a flight yourself, you won't know. Your opinion seems defensive rather than objective, and until you've used it yourself, you can't make that call (There are really awful videos out there of X-Plane as well). Wait two weeks, buy a 1 month subscription to gamepass, try it, and them come back and give a valid argument... 

Coming from an XP11 developer, this is a really honest and open minded opinion.  Nicely written.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Why is this MFS vs XP comparision happening again ?  XP11 is 4 years old , limited resources etc.. stop comparing.  

Compare when the new version of X-plane is out until then enjoy what you got and get that gamepass for a month (lucky Pasta told me about it) . 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

7 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

It's hard to take anyone seriously that think XP11 looks better than MSFS under any circumstances. I love XP11 for what it does but when it comes to the scenery is MSFS, it's not even in the same league. I've tried DCS and I didn't think it look at that good. I only have the free maps.  You have to see for yourself. There is more to the game that when you have see in the official video. I am not ready to ditch my XP11 or P3D just yet for other reason but when it comes to scenery , MSFS will be king.

Scenery is avilable for you to preview at bing maps.

It will fall down just where X-plane did given the lack of good imagery and data at many locations.

MSFS are showing you previews where data is good, im eager to see how it's gonna look at certain locations, which has clouds shadows vegetaion and static lightning conditions.

It does not take one to try msfs when all the data is avilable for you to see what areas are gonna lack.

And the worse thing, those bing maps are not replaceable. Materials? Seasons? (No, not snow, yet to see foliage and fields change colors in msfs previews)

Not that xp11 looks better, yeah? But i prefer it's scenery approach, it lacks good art hence they hired artisits and still hiring (i think).

So yeah MSFS does look better that what we currently have, but not so next gen, flight simulation deserves more.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

But i prefer it's scenery approach

Not really that important or compelling from either offering tbh, Unigine engine hands down beats both.

This is a flight sim, the primary "looks" question is whether this

a320-airliner-(8).jpg

Is really better or worse than this:

I0Du1Dp.png

Personally I think the latter is pretty awful in every way.. I'm sure thats cel shading

1LjWN7m.png

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

As long as I have my LES S340, the Torquesim Islander, just to name  two, I don’t have a reason to change sims and fly default planes. No matter how good scenery might look. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HumptyDumpty said:

Why is this MFS vs XP comparision happening again ?  XP11 is 4 years old , limited resources etc.. stop comparing.  

Compare when the new version of X-plane is out

That's a very good point.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

Personally I think the latter is pretty awful in every way.. I'm sure thats cel shading

MSFS doesn't use cel shading, and your comparisons are really silly.

• Like 4

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I have to admit just saw the leaked video of flying around SFO..even more sure about my latest comments.

Popups, stutters, cartoon looking, low resolution textures on grounds and buildings, static lightning on autogen, random static boats..and flight dynamics which remindes me how i raced with franklin in gta v.

Sorry, even x-plane 11 given few addons looks better and smoother under vulkan beta, and much more flexible to improve by community.

Austin knows what he is talking about.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

MSFS doesn't use cel shading, and your comparisons are really silly.

If that is the best retort to such damning reviews MSFS2020 has to offer I'd say its going to make windows phone look like a success, even I was expecting better. 

46 minutes ago, Murmur said:

That's a very good point.

release date = crunch time.

The time everyone finds out if all the things said against Laminar and promised by Microsoft/Asobo were true or not. They talked the talk, the big grey suits in the sky have told them its time to walk the walk.

Everything currently hidden away in the MS alpha forum will be public discussion in less than a month. No more drip feeding out only the good stuff and promises and silencing detractors.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

Everything currently hidden away in the MS alpha forum will be public discussion in less than a month. No more drip feeding out only the good stuff and promises and silencing detractors.

Completely out of this discussion, but what makes you think MS is Silencing Detractors? All Alpha Testers are under NDA, Leaking any kind of footage is prohibited under any Beta Testing Program in the Software industry. I don't see MS doing anything they don't have every right to be doing at this moment. As you said, when the sim is released, people will be free to talk all they want. Choose what you will, it's up to the preferences of the user.

Edited by Alec

Alexis Mefano

8 minutes ago, Alec said:

Completely out of this discussion, but what makes you think MS is Silencing Detractors?

Without getting into a discussion, you answered your own question 

8 minutes ago, Alec said:

All Alpha Testers are under NDA

AutoATC Developer

3 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Without getting into a discussion, you answered your own question 

Matt this is no different than other software devs during testing.  Is MS showing off the best parts of the sim?  Ahhhh yyyyyeah!  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Do you think, in a multi million dollar investment, for the development of a software that will probably sell million of copies around the world, any company would allow their software development to be affected by the noise of tens of thousand people from outside, commenting and criticizing every little information they get, without the proper background to understand what really is going on from the inside? That's just crazy. We're not talking about 5 people developing open source software here.

Alexis Mefano

25 minutes ago, Alec said:

Do you think, in a multi million dollar investment, for the development of a software that will probably sell million of copies around the world, any company would allow their software development to be affected by the noise of tens of thousand people from outside, commenting and criticizing every little information they get, without the proper background to understand what really is going on from the inside? That's just crazy. We're not talking about 5 people developing open source software here.

suppose that depends if they care what the customers think or not. Or if they just perceive them as consumers to market new shiney tech to.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

Yeah, certainly the post-launch will be very interesting, we'll finally see and discuss the good and the bad of it. Most of the limitations/issues are only known to alpha testers so far.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]