Sign in to follow this  
Andy-

Instant Replay Function

15 hours ago, Stoopy said:

And ahhhhhh, the good ol' RealAir Decathlon.   What a fun airplane it was for such flights.  I sure hope to see one for MFS20!!  

The Real Air Decathalon was the first airplane DLC I ever bought so many years ago, and I've flown that same DLC in many different sims over that same period.  One of my favorite planes to fly honestly.  Hoping it works in MFS too, and if not then I hope Real Air releases a new version of it!

As for no replay function in MFS, dang I just assumed it would be there.  They need to add that pronto, or some third party needs to add it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mengy said:

The Real Air Decathalon was the first airplane DLC I ever bought so many years ago, and I've flown that same DLC in many different sims over that same period.  One of my favorite planes to fly honestly.  Hoping it works in MFS too, and if not then I hope Real Air releases a new version of it!

As for no replay function in MFS, dang I just assumed it would be there.  They need to add that pronto, or some third party needs to add it.  

They are working on it. It just didn't make launch. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

For the alpha/beta testers, do you guys have an idea if Microsoft is aware of this function? Because definitely not in the feedback snapshot. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Not at release but ...SoonTM

@Janov summed it up perfectly. A good flight recorder is not a trivial thing to implement. The legacy instant replay function in MS flight sims have always been very limited. I hesitate to even say this at risk of starting some sort of flame war, but X-Plane has a much more useful replay/flight recorder implementation. Especially in this age of media content creation, it is important for MSFS to include the function, but do it in a way that is very useful. I know I would love to use it in conjunction with videos I plan to use as teaching aides.

Chris

Asobo said in a recent interview that there actually is a replay function already built into the sim -- a replay function which Asobo currently uses for its own internal testing. But the UI for the replay function is currently not user-friendly enough to incorporate into the initial public release. This will soon change however, almost certainly by year's end.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

3 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

X-Plane has a much more useful replay/flight recorder implementation

As compared to FSX this can't be argued. It's a wonderful replay and camera system...I'm really hoping the new sim will at least match what we have now in XP so Im disappointed if it wont be out of the box and will need to wait several more months...but if waiting means that the new system will be awesome then so be it. I'd rather not have it rushed out the door as long as it was worth waiting for in the end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Asobo said in a recent interview that there actually is a replay function already built into the sim -- a replay function which Asobo currently uses for its own internal testing. But the UI for the replay function is currently not user-friendly enough to incorporate into the initial public release. 

It's so hard to keep track of what's public and what is NDA bound over the last couple of weeks 😂 I give up!

• Upvote 1

Chris

7 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Not at release but ...SoonTM

@Janov summed it up perfectly. A good flight recorder is not a trivial thing to implement. The legacy instant replay function in MS flight sims have always been very limited. I hesitate to even say this at risk of starting some sort of flame war, but X-Plane has a much more useful replay/flight recorder implementation. Especially in this age of media content creation, it is important for MSFS to include the function, but do it in a way that is very useful. I know I would love to use it in conjunction with videos I plan to use as teaching aides.

Does XP reset the aircraft moving surfaces/gauges and the environment moving objects ? This is where P3D is lacking. The camera views could be better but can be programmed.

9 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Asobo said in a recent interview that there actually is a replay function already built into the sim -- a replay function which Asobo currently uses for its own internal testing. But the UI for the replay function is currently not user-friendly enough to incorporate into the initial public release. This will soon change however, almost certainly by year's end.

Do you have a link, David ? I missed the interview. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

27 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Very interesting, do you have an idea which interview was that? I kinda lost track of all of these interviews 😅

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

The interview was on the Asobo/Microsoft official website. The moderators of the forum had collected the most-frequently-asked questions on the site and posed them to the developers. The main question was about autopilot issues, which, according to the devs, will be fixed in the released version on August 18. Another question was about the replay function, which, as I mentioned, will not be available immediately upon release.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

22 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Does XP reset the aircraft moving surfaces/gauges and the environment moving objects

X-Plane stores all of the aircrafts "datarefs" - these are the variables that describe the aircraft state, like steering surface deflections, instruments, etc.

It also stores the position of the aircraft carrier and the frigate (that you can land your helicopter on) and the AI aircraft and static aircraft at the gates. It does not store the position of the moving cars and trains.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Janov said:

X-Plane stores all of the aircrafts "datarefs" - these are the variables that describe the aircraft state, like steering surface deflections, instruments, etc.

It also stores the position of the aircraft carrier and the frigate (that you can land your helicopter on) and the AI aircraft and static aircraft at the gates. It does not store the position of the moving cars and trains.

I was curious as to the extent of what was captured, so I just fired up x-plane....to my surprise the moving traffic was captured in the replay as in you could rewind and fast forward and the traffic followed the same track as in the original recording. I noted the impact of replay on the wind sock as well. Wind sock behavior was also impacted but it was definitely animated in more of a jerky fashion.  What is great, however, is that you can completely change the weather and time of day and still replay the flight path and associated airplane animations, so that's the type or flexibility I'd love to see in MSFS.

• Like 1

Chris

1 minute ago, snglecoil said:

What is great, however, is that you can completely change the weather and time of day and still replay the flight path and associated airplane animations, so that's the type or flexibility I'd love to see in MSFS.

right, who knows... but to my eyes/ears it seem like MS is interested in following a more XP design to this new sim. From the new menu's to the new physics they seem to have an interest in taking some points from the XP camp and placing their own twist on it, IMO. I personally think this a great thing, but it will take years to mature...this is just the beginning 🙂

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

They are working on it. It just didn't make launch. 

Hmm, how do you know?

• Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Im sure it will have one. So far the best instant replay system I've seen in a sim is X-Plane 11s. I like how the whole flight appears in the Play bar, drag slider anywhere in timeline, done. 

• Upvote 2