Sign in to follow this  
Andy-

Instant Replay Function

Does anyone have an insight into the likelihood of an instant replay function?

Its always good to know "where did it all go wrong!" or review some complex manoevre from outside the cockpit after being heads in.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

One of the reviewers searched for one but didn’t find it. It that gives any clue.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

It is a staple function within all flight sims Ive played, so I would be baffled if it wasnt there. 

Staple but not always working properly in P3D. The replay  often keeps the moving parts (landing gear, flaps) and gauges at the position that they are when you stop the simulation instead of resetting them with the rewind. Making a video of a landing or a take off is a PITA.  

I think that P3D lets the designer free to decide what is resetted and what is not. Doing a meaningful replay with a A2A aircraft  is almost impossible when I  have no problem with the Lotus L-39 for instance.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, badderjet said:

One of the reviewers searched for one but didn’t find it. It that gives any clue.

no replay functionality in a flight simulator in 2020?

I can't imagine that, and certainly hope it's not so.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Staple but not always working properly in P3D. The replay  often keeps the moving parts (landing gear, flaps) and gauges at the position that they are when you stop the simulation instead of resetting them with the rewind. Making a video of a landing or a take off is a PITA.

oh yes please fix this Asobo... I like watching replays of my PMDG landings, and the lack of wingflex, and flaps in the wrong position etc, ruins it.

• Like 2

Matthew S

It looks as though in the simulator's current state there is not a replay system. I hope they will add it soon, I know looking back at my landings to judge them and simulate a passenger experience of sorts from inside the cabin is one of the best parts of a flight for me.

Edited by AflyingDoge
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I should think if there is no replay system, then it would be a high priority to get one in there. Pretty much everyone likes that feature in flight sims. Then again, maybe they have one already developed and if you want it then - kerching! - micro transaction!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, Chock said:

I should think if there is no replay system, then it would be a high priority to get one in there. Pretty much everyone likes that feature in flight sims. Then again, maybe they have one already developed and if you want it then - kerching! - micro transaction!

That would be really strange for such an important/staple feature to be subjected to microtransactions. I might be naive, but the impression I am inder at this point is that ms/as is doing away with the old paradigm that the sim is just the tip of the iceberg and you NEED a lot of addons to actually make it any interesting. Of all the things they COULD add to a shop feature, this is not the kind I expect to see anywhere but in the core sim. 

• Like 2

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Until release we will not know but my guess is yes, and may even be as bad as the present one.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Since it's looking like there won't be one, MS will either implement one in the near future, or a 3rd party will make an add-on for it. I myself would pay a bit for one, especially for a good one.

• Like 1

I would possibly even go as far as "No Replay = No purchase!" And in addition to that : did anyone see evidence of just a simple 'Fly-By' view ? I certainly didn't and i think i watched all MSFS vids...

In my humble flightsim book a Replay Mode and Fly-By View should be standard features. Even in a our "Flightsim Dream Come True MSFS", if i can't stand along the runway to watch myself bring in that magical 747 in very poor weather during Replay Mode (preferably over and over again) then MSFS will have lost half of its glamour despite all these fancy 'drone' and external camera views that can be seen in MSFS videos so far. 

( i mean, what is the fun in looking an aircraft up the butt all the time. I can't stand that view. A less spectacular view at an aircraft is hard to find. I'd even say it's disrespectful. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth and you don't look an aircraft up the butt. That's my motto. What is wrong with these people ?...:biggrin:  )

Edited by Javiz
  • Like 2

Jan

A replay system is definitely a most wanted feature, but implementing a good one is not easy.

You need to record and store the thousands of parameters that influence your flight, and the more detail you have in the world (not only your own aircraft, but also other aircraft, cars, boats, windsocks, clouds, wind data, etc.) the more difficult it can be. You want to store all those data points at the users framerate, possibly over a flight of many hours...

I could imagine that Asobo pushed this feature to be worked on post release - instead of implementing something half-baked - and I think that is a prudent decision.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Javiz said:

what is the fun in looking an aircraft up the butt all the time. I can't stand that view. A less spectacular view at an aircraft is hard to find.

This ^

Of course, I won't do any risqué nor inappropriate comparison but aircraft are like women. They need to be handled carefully if you want to keep them long term and they also deserve to be looked at different angles for the pleasure of the eyes. Butt only is very reductive, Sorry about the inappropriate comparison, I lied.

1 hour ago, Janov said:

A replay system is definitely a most wanted feature, but implementing a good one is not easy

Agreed but a concept and its implementation are two different things. 

The older FS versions offered the option at release so it is not like VR for instance where everything has to be invented. The replay could be better, granted, but with some aircraft it works better than with some others. Food for thoughts.

I use this function quite often for videos and screenshots. It is useless unfortunately to assess your pilots skills as it is now in P3D.

I do not need it for the whole flight but at take off and landing to shoot the aircraft under multiples angles and during the cruise at certain times to show the aircraft in its environment. That is to say for periods shorter than 10 minutes.

I need that everything moving  (rudder, ailerons, flaps, prop, landing gear), gauges and other visible vehicles/objects be resetted.

Some  kind of FIFO recording would suffice.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, Janov said:

A replay system is definitely a most wanted feature, but implementing a good one is not easy.

You need to record and store the thousands of parameters that influence your flight, and the more detail you have in the world (not only your own aircraft, but also other aircraft, cars, boats, windsocks, clouds, wind data, etc.) the more difficult it can be. You want to store all those data points at the users framerate, possibly over a flight of many hours...

I could imagine that Asobo pushed this feature to be worked on post release - instead of implementing something half-baked - and I think that is a prudent decision.

Absolutely!  

Acually i was talking about 'Instant Replay'. Not that much demanding like replaying a whole flight (personally i don't even see the use of that..) Just a few moments to look at your aircraft and your pilot skills from a different point of view. Especially landings/take-off's. I remember Active Camera in FS9, brought to us by the AntiCyclone boys. In Replay Mode, during final approach, sitting in your VC, you could simply click a point along the runway up ahead et voilá you'd be instantly transported there to watch your aircraft come in over the fench and land. A true virtual aircraft spotters heaven ! ( fancy having that option in MSFS with all its mindblowing weather conditions !  :biggrin:  )

( i sure did try but couldn't persuade AntiCylone to bring their precious Active Camera over to FSX... I found another way but doesn't work in P3D) 

• Like 1

Jan