Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The Phenomenal Weather System in Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Into the storms.... 😏

• Like 11

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Great!  But the plane has no inertia, how can the wind jerk it around like that? It's not realistic IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matthew S

How cool that would be if we could have seasons AND manipulate the weather that way!

• Like 1

The way the fog is represented and the break in the clouds with the sun coming through is really impressive.

• Like 4

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

12 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Great!  But the plane has no inertia, how can the wind jerk it around like that? It's not realistic IMHO.

Absolutely agree. In my 20+ Years of real world flying i have never seen an aircraft moving that "inertialess". It almost looks like the video is fast forwarded.

This is definately something they have to work on.

Edited by ThomseN_inc
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

The weather- and athmospheric system is absolutely outstanding and impressive.🤩

• Like 4

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

1 hour ago, MatthewS said:

it's a default plane, we need to wait for payware to get a more realistic Sim flying experience

1 hour ago, MatthewS said:

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Absolutely agree. In my 20+ Years of real world flying i have never seen an aircraft moving that "inertialess". It almost looks like the video is fast forwarded.

That's not the plane moving. It's simulating the pilots head movement (camera shake) 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Semper Fi 

That video is literally the first time I have ever seen a flight simulator display something which genuinely looks like how it looked when I got stuck in a thunderstorm in a little SZD and was being forced down into the terrain to the point where I was genuinely considering making a forced landing in between trees in the hope that ripping the wings off between trees would slow me down enough to make the landing survivable.

If the new sim also manages to simulate the terrifying downdrafts you get in those conditions which easily outstrip your rate of climb, then I will be turning around and flying away from that weather in the sim, because it was not a fun experience in real life!

The depiction of how that weather actually looks in real life and how bloody scary it is when you know what it is about to do to your aeroplane, was amazing.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 10

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

31 minutes ago, joec63 said:

That's not the plane moving. It's simulating the pilots head movement (camera shake) 

That's how I see it as well, seems to be some sort of exaggerated visual effect (i.e. headshake) rather than from aircraft movement itself. But simulating turbulence effects on airframes in a sim hasn't been good since the beginning of time (especially on small light craft which have little inertia to begin with) so it won't surprise me to discover that it's at least partly the fault of the physics there as well. Hard to tell for certain which one is more to blame there from that video. We'll argue about it after the 18th, heh.

Edited by hangar

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

With 20 years of real world flying experience, I assume you have flown a lot of different types of planes from GA to transport category airplanes along with all sorts of weather. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

still, miles ahead of any other sim.

• Like 2

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

That's freakin' awesome!

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

54 minutes ago, joec63 said:

If so... I hope you can turn it off. Knowing me, I will find it very annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

With regard to the head shaking, if you've never flown a light aircraft in those kind of conditions, I can assure you that you get thrown about all over the place when the updrafts and downdrafts hit you, and there is plenty of head movement as a result of it. In fact, on the occasion I related above, it was the fact that I felt the right wing lift when I was at the point where I was literally looking up at houses on the surrounding hills as I was grimly looking for a field I might make a forced landing into, which enabled me to know that was an updraft on the edge of the storm cell, so I could throw the thing into a steep right turn and start circling in that area to get me some altitude so I could make it back to the airfield.

Picture this if you've never experienced it: Imagine someone is behind your computer chair and they have hold of the backrest with both their hands and are shaking it backwards and forwards whilst occasionally booting the underneath of your seat with their size nines. That is what it feels like in a light aeroplane in those kind of conditions and the canopy steams up to the point where you have to settle for opening the DV panel and getting your left side soaked with rain. And whilst that is going on, you are aware that one lightning strike on your foam-filled GRP wings will probably make the aeroplane disintegrate as the moisture in the foam inside the wings expands at supersonic speeds into steam when it superheats the moisture in the foam, much like how tree sap makes trees explode when they are struck by lightning.

That had actually happened to the same type I was flying on that day a couple of weeks before I was in that storm, and the two people in that aeroplane didn't even need to open the canopy or unstrap in order to bail out, the plane literally came apart around them as the lightning blew it apart, so all they had to do was pull the ripcord! Both people survived. One guy had a burst eardrum, the other broke his leg when he landed on a garage roof.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here