Sign in to follow this  
Rmmm

FS2020 Physics - Nothing New?? FSX in disguise?

NOTE: The assertion made in this post is demonstrably false. The default aircraft in MSFS do not have or use the deprecated .air files. Full stop. This thread is therefor closed for further comments.

Asobo has touted new physics:

Aerodynamic Modeling – A state-of-the-art physics engine with over 1,000 control surfaces per plane allows for a truly realistic experience.

FSElite (Calum Martin) who just two weeks ago, had a private conference with the top managers of the MS/Asobo team replied to my concerns about stall behaviour on a recent video saying " That means nothing.  Trust me, it's there and it works well.

However another Beta Tester responding to my concerns said FS2020 is still using the FSX flight model.  He then later added:  "Open the dr400 .air file, copy everything in the 747 .air file. The 747 will fly EXACTLY like the DR400. So where did the flight model based on the shape of the plane ? "

Physics matter to me immensely as I use my quite expensive simulator set up to support real world flight training.   Presently with X-Plane + REP, I can practice the full gamut of ACS maneuvers including stalls to keep fresh.   

What do others say?   What is missing here??

Edited by n4gix
ADDED NOTE TO TOP OF POST

8 minutes ago, Rmmm said:

Aerodynamic Modeling – A state-of-the-art physics engine with over 1,000 control surfaces per plane allows for a truly realistic experience.

FSElite (Calum Martin) who just two weeks ago, had a private conference with the top managers of the MS/Asobo team replied to my concerns about stall behaviour on a recent video saying " That means nothing.  Trust me, it's there and it works well.

However another Beta Tester responding to my concerns said FS2020 is still using the FSX flight model.  He then later added:  "Open the dr400 .air file, copy everything in the 747 .air file. The 747 will fly EXACTLY like the DR400. So where did the flight model based on the shape of the plane ? "

Physics matter to me immensely as I use my quite expensive simulator set up to support real world flight training.   Presently with X-Plane + REP, I can practice the full gamut of ACS maneuvers including stalls to keep fresh.   

What do I say? Wait for the release and test it yourself. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

8 minutes ago, Rmmm said:

Didn't Asobo say that both physics engines are available and you get to choose whichever you like?  In that case, isn't it any surprise that the FSX air files are there too?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, frankla said:

Didn't Asobo say that both physics engines are available and you get to choose whichever you like?  In that case, isn't it any surprise that the FSX air files are there too?

Bingo! 

• Like 4

MSFS 2020 supports two Flight Models, the new one, and the one from FSX. You can even choose which one to use from the settings.

By default, an airplane made for MSFS 2020 doesn't come with any .AIR files and, in fact, none of the airplanes included come with an .AIR file. The flight model parameters are in a new file called flight_model.cfg and per SDK documentation, an .AIR file is optional and it's considered to be obsolete.

I guess that, if you place an .AIR file in the airplane main folder, the sim will automatically switch to the "Legacy" FSX Flight Model for that plane, regardless of your preferences, which makes sense for developers wanting to port an airplane that would fly in the new sim exactly as it did in FSX.

And that mislead that tester to assume the "flight model it's the same", because of that test he made without knowing all the facts. And this guys, is exactly how Urban Legends are born.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, frankla said:

Yup.

If it helps, think of the flight modeling engine in the sim like a car engine, and think of the flight file as the fuel going in that engine. You could put fancy high octane fuel in an engine, or you could put cheap 2 star petrol in there. They'll both run it, but one will do it much better than the other.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

LOL

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

LOL!!!!!!  This is the same guy arguing with Dudley over on the A2A forums about various aspects of flying and flight training.  He brought up a link to Rod Machado's site to prove his point... at which point Dudley said he was friends with Rod and had many of the same discussions with him.

Imagine a pre-schooler arguing with an OB/GYN about where babies come from.

Hook

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

6 minutes ago, virtuali said:

MSFS 2020 supports two Flight Models, the new one, and the one from FSX. You can even choose which one to use from the settings.

By default, an airplane made for MSFS 2020 doesn't come with any .AIR files and, in fact, none of the airplanes included come with an .AIR file. The flight model parameters are in a new file called flight_model.cfg and per SDK documentation, an .AIR file is optional and it's considered to be obsolete.

I guess that, if you place an .AIR file in the airplane main folder, the sim will automatically switch to the "Legacy" FSX Flight Model for that plane, regardless of your preferences, which makes sense for developers wanting to port an airplane that would fly in the new sim exactly as it did in FSX.

And that mislead that tester to assume the "flight model it's the same", because of that test he made without knowing all the facts. And this guys, is exactly how Urban Legends are born.

Amen !!!

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

The OP has either got his wires crossed or trying to put out false info, seeing as you've been corrected are you happy with what you've been told?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 minute ago, eaim said:

The OP has either got his wires crossed or trying to put out false info, seeing as you've been corrected are you happy with what you've been told?

"You can always tell an XPlane user..." You know the rest.

Hook

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

I think the pre-release tension is starting to mess with people.

• Like 6

David Porrett

30 minutes ago, Rmmm said:

"Open the dr400 .air file, copy everything in the 747 .air file. The 747 will fly EXACTLY like the DR400. So where did the flight model based on the shape of the plane ? "

Of course it will do that, they never said the flight dynamics were based purely on the shape of the plane, they just said they calculate upto 1000 points instead of just one. Also air files are for the legacy flight model as far as I know. Anyway, I think you're confusing it with Xplane's BET, MFS is still using lookup tables. But plenty of real world pilots are quite happy with how MFS flies in alpha/beta, although it is not perfect (neither is Xplane either, despite what Austin might say!)

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

32 minutes ago, Rmmm said:

Wait, what?  

There are no .air files in MSFS.  Someone is a tad confused.  Not to mention that with the same data that would be in an air file, the rest of the config files modify it.

Something is wrong here and it ain't MSFS.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

35 minutes ago, Rmmm said:

What do others say?

That you are completely misinformed.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!