Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Installing from Steam - User Reports?

2 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I'm at 9GB. I wonder what happens if I pause it an hour from now, shutdown my PC for bed, then continue in the morning...

it will continue where you left off.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

2 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I called mine MSFS. We are all in this journey together apparently lol

So assume what the folder is named is probably irrelevant. I wasn't sure if it needed to me "MSFS" but I guess in will not matter.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Killed MSFS application and restarted.

It is downloading (slowly) now.

kklee6

12700K@5.1Ghz, ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4, Noctua NH-U12S, G.SKILL 32GB Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 3600MHz, SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD 1TB, Gigabyte RTX 1080 Ti, Cooler Master V750 Gold 750W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell 24" 2408WFP 1920x1200 30 frames vSync to 60Hz, Fulcrum One Yoke,  MFG Crosswind V2 rudder pedal, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Multi Panel, DIY Cessna 172 Radio stack (via Arduino/MobiFlight), Air manager V4 on 10" 1920x1080 monitor

7 minutes ago, gunther said:

Mine is now stuck on a flash screen (with a TBM) and a progress bar that has been sitting at around 20% now for 15 minutes. No network activity from what I can see. Seeing all Steam provided was the installer, I call this a fail.

That happened to me too. After browsing to my "FS2020" custom folder for install it sat there for like 10 mins with no internet or disk activity, so I killed it with X on top right, ran installer again, when right back to about 20% progress bar of plane out of KSFO after few mins of nothing again clicked X in top right to kill it again. On 3rd run this time it came up allowing me to click "proceed" to install with my custom install directory (FS2020) one I did that then it started unpacking/downloading. Whew....

• Like 1

I have Steam installed on my pc and I'm never asked to "sign in" after I buy a game and install it. You 1) buy the game, 2) the game shows up in your steam library, 3) clicking the "install" button will install the game into the specified folder. 4) after installation, steam sometimes installs additional files. Done. 

For those who've been able to download the game, are you then asked to install additional apps like the xbox apps?

Strange.  I did not type in any new folder name.
A folder "Chucky" is created for MSFS inside "Common" folder.

kklee6

12700K@5.1Ghz, ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4, Noctua NH-U12S, G.SKILL 32GB Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 3600MHz, SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD 1TB, Gigabyte RTX 1080 Ti, Cooler Master V750 Gold 750W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell 24" 2408WFP 1920x1200 30 frames vSync to 60Hz, Fulcrum One Yoke,  MFG Crosswind V2 rudder pedal, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Multi Panel, DIY Cessna 172 Radio stack (via Arduino/MobiFlight), Air manager V4 on 10" 1920x1080 monitor

1 minute ago, KKLEE said:

Strange.  I did not type in any new folder name.
A folder "Chucky" is created for MSFS inside "Common" folder.

kklee6

Yeah that chucky folder is for the xbox/MS installer the 532mb file, it unpacks  to almost a 1GB folder in your steam directory to run the installer to download the rest of it from Microsoft.

5 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I have Steam installed on my pc and I'm never asked to "sign in" after I buy a game and install it. You 1) buy the game, 2) the game shows up in your steam library, 3) clicking the "install" button will install the game into the specified folder. 4) after installation, steam sometimes installs additional files. Done. 

For those who've been able to download the game, are you then asked to install additional apps like the xbox apps?

If you have ever bought a game from Ubisoft or EA from steam it can have a separate launcher (UPLAY, ORIGIN) where you will have to sign in. Its not to uncommon. 

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

1 minute ago, Bob_D said:

Yeah that chucky folder is for the xbox/MS installer the 532mb file, it unpacks  to almost a 1GB folder in your steam directory to run the installer to download the rest of it from Microsoft.

I see.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Bob_D said:

I was kinda hoping it would download off steam,  Atleast that way we could see the download speed. Mine seems to be capping off at my normal speed though. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

7 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I was kinda hoping it would download off steam,  Atleast that way we could see the download speed. Mine seems to be capping off at my normal speed though. 

Yeah at least with the steam dl'er you have an ETA you cant look at, for the MS dl'er/unpacker no ETA or speed tally. Notice so that it's unpacking after each part is downloaded as the MS dl'er says its downloaded 980mb so far by the FS2020 folder has 1.3gb of files in it (I have slower internet connection heh).

Edited by Bob_D

5 minutes ago, Bob_D said:

Yeah at least with the steam dl'er you have an ETA you cant look at, for the MS dl'er/unpacker no ETA or speed tally. Notice so that it's unpacking after each part is downloaded as the MS dl'er says its downloaded 980mb so far by the FS2020 folder has 1.3gb of files in it (I have slower internet connection heh).

Mine was pretty fast until I hit about 9-10GB. Now I'm only up to 11.5GB but it seems to be downloading aircraft now...

Edited by reignman40

I had to cancel the download three times before it gave me the official Microsoft "Where do you wanna install"

I completely wiped my SSD in anticipation, so you need to have a subfolder named for it. 

Thats all my tricks.  

Its working now and downloading at a nice clip. 

Hope it helps.  

TLDR;   Quit the screen if you see the blue bar and Microsoft hadn't asked you where you wanna install. 

Anyone have an issue where the installer says "decompressing fs base" and it seems stuck at this point?

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

you have to be patient when it decompress. it might take a while.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.