Sign in to follow this  
themachine

Free look bound to HAT switch?

12 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Hi Soren

so the HAT switch can be bound to  pan round in both external and cockpit views?

thanks

yes

• Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

8 hours ago, Ferg said:

Hi Soren

so the HAT switch can be bound to  pan round in both external and cockpit views?

thanks

Yes, and it will tell you there is a conflict but it can be ignored.

The cockpit and external view modes are separate control states wherein settings for the cockpit view don't work while in external view and vice-versa.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

After so many tests, it seems that if you have an internal Custom Camera View set to a HAT, even if you are in external view and you select that HAT it will implement the Custom Camera View. For the external HAT quickviews to work the internal HAT must also have to be set to quickviews.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Thanks for sharing these steps.   It's been a major issue with me (not having the hat switch working for free view.)

Alexander Alonso

Most joysticks are programmable with their own utility. Almost always these are far easier to use than the flightsimulator Controls window.

With my CH fighterstick, using CH control manager app, you just map the keyboard keys onto the controller buttons. Takes 2 minutes to put all the views on the POV (coolie) hat and then all 6 eye movements (left, right, up, down, in, out) on another 4 way hat right, the hat right under the POV hat (the castle hat). Hat movements are up, right, down, left, shift up, and shift down.

Easy peasy and never even going into the FS Controllers window.

All joysticks (almost all) have similar programing ability to just impose keyboard keys onto any controller button. And then what is stored in the FS Controls window is totally irrelevant. Because FlightSimulator thinks you are typing on the keyboard when you are actually pressing buttons and hats on the controllers.

(When I wrote 'shift' above I mean using your controller's native shift key, not the keyboard shift key. Almost all controller programing utilities allow you to designate one button on a controller your special 'shift key' for programming purposes. On CH sticks, and other sticks modeled on the F16 fighter, this shift key is the little red button called the pinkie key).

The FS Controllers window is confusing to me, so I seldom visit it when setting up a controller functions.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I tried this, it still doesn’t give free view look inside like the mouse, it only goes to specific views. Maybe I didn’t something wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Mauleflyer said:

I tried this, it still doesn’t give free view look inside like the mouse, it only goes to specific views. Maybe I didn’t something wrong. 

You need to unbind the hat from those 'quick views'. Set the filter to 'assigned' and then look through all the view settings and be sure the hat is only assigned to the things you want it assigned to and not to any quick views or other view functions. By default, the hat is assigned to quick look left, quick look right, etc. some prefer that to a free look.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

It is set up like , however the hat takes you to those specific views, it is not truly freeview. It wants to go back to forward view over the panel once the switch is released. 

When I switch to external view, how can I stop the camera floating around the aircraft? I want just a locked position?