Sign in to follow this  
FrankR409

To vsync or not to vsync..

3 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

? not sure - lots in here is using this combo with 30HZ TV and 60fps limit with very great success

Fraps do report 30FPS

Michael Moe

If your monitor is running at 30Hz then by definition it can only display a maximum of 30 frames.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Actual fps can be shown in the developer mode Options menu, Display fps. That might be showing "limited by mainthread" and a lower fps selected than the limit value set.

Lol.

I set Vert sync... And after 2 minutes it switches off.

Vert sync and FPS limiting in this Alpha product is seriously broken.

Internal or external limiting is not working with an nVidia card

With everything else I've given up.

Back to P3D for a year or until they get their act together.

Scenery Simulator....🥴

12 hours ago, w6kd said:

I have a 30Hz monitor (55" TV) and have VSync on and frame rate limiter set to 60.  Nice and smooth locked at 30 fps due to the VSync.

Are you using Hdmi ?

It appears that display port monitors are simply not respecting vert sync or FPS limitation.

Given most good monitors are DO it further supports my suspicions that this is really aimed at consoles.

Video proof of how Vert sync breaks in the SIM as soon as you make any change to the settings.

Internal vert sync broken... Period.

Set it in nVidia inspector and it starts fine at 60 FPS. Open any window to change settings, even weather or time, and it breaks.

There are 2 short vids I've made using my phone. #1 and #2 in that order.

Posting soon.

Edited by Gabe777

Standard wisdom is that gsync should be used in tandem with external vsync:

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

12 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Set it in nVidia inspector and it starts fine at 60 FPS. Change weather... Breaks. Viola!

I haven’t seen that myself, but maybe gsync is hiding the effect for me.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

G sync is ace. You need not worry about it too much unless you want to limit work to 60 and crank up some settings.

29 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Standard wisdom is that gsync should be used in tandem with external vsync:

Correct, but using  VSYNC in the nvidia control panel, in case you go over your monitors max refresh rate (unlikely in MSFS for most) . You do NOT use Vsync in the application (game) 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

Lol.

I set Vert sync... And after 2 minutes it switches off.

Vert sync and FPS limiting in this Alpha product is seriously broken.

Internal or external limiting is not working with an nVidia card

With everything else I've given up.

Back to P3D for a year or until they get their act together.

Scenery Simulator....🥴

I use the NV control to limit MSFS to 30 FPS and with FRAPS ON FPS are locked solid at 30.

Also I have a 120 Hz Monitor and If i set VS ON and then I have option for 120/60/30/20 FPS. If I then set to 30 that also limited FPS to 30. But then I don't change settings once I begin.

Both work. But it needs fixing if you mess with setting after you begin.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I like the idea about limiting FPS.

But I should do that external, and also external v-sync?

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

1 hour ago, Gabe777 said:

Video proof of how Vert sync breaks in the SIM as soon as you make any change to the settings.

Internal vert sync broken... Period.

Set it in nVidia inspector and it starts fine at 60 FPS. Open any window to change settings, even weather or time, and it breaks.

There are 2 short vids I've made using my phone. #1 and #2 in that order.

Posting soon.

Very convincing! Hope there is a fix or workaround!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

14 hours ago, w6kd said:

I have a 30Hz monitor (55" TV) and have VSync on and frame rate limiter set to 60.  Nice and smooth locked at 30 fps due to the VSync.

Can you sticky this setting??

I use the same setting and have help others (about 4 or 5) get smooth performance with these settings.

I think there is an issue when people try to set their fps limit to the hz level of their monitor.

When I ran fps limiter at 30 (with 30hz), I got stutters no matter what I did...even the lowest settings, it wasn't until I set the fps to 60, that things became very smooth.

There are so many people complaining about their performance...no matter what they do...and the solutions are getting lost in the mix of posts.

We really need a sticky (locked) with these settings that you have, because they worked for me and many others.

This may also help Asobo see what working and whats not...

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

If your monitor is running at 30Hz then by definition it can only display a maximum of 30 frames.

True...

However, there is an issue with setting the fps limit in MSFS to 30 when running 30hz (it introduces bad stutters no matter what you do), therefore you have to set the fps limit to 60.

There are many people (including myself) who have confirmed that this works.

Despite how things "should" work, the workaround is 30hz, 60 fps limit in MSFS to get smooth performance.

So what if you set a limit 40 or 50? Any changes? And what limit are you setting, display settings in MSFS? And how are you setting monitor refresh to 30?