Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

ATC is a bust...

I did two flights last night the the TBM.    One from KPDX to KSFO and one from LOWI to EDDH. 

Both were visually stunning flights, but moreover, the ATC was perfect.  Gave me perfect step by step instructions and lined me up to final at the proper altitude to catch the localizer.   

I was incredibly happy with the whole thing.  

Sorry there's no tips here, just want to chime in and say, with a SIDS and STARS trip, it went off without a hitch. 

7 minutes ago, molleh said:

Your definition of IFR is very strange.

Yeah, that's not what IFR is, at all.

• Upvote 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Just now, JughedJones said:

I did two flights last night the the TBM.    One from KPDX to KSFO and one from LOWI to EDDH. 

Both were visually stunning flights, but moreover, the ATC was perfect.  Gave me perfect step by step instructions and lined me up to final at the proper altitude to catch the localizer.   

I was incredibly happy with the whole thing.  

Sorry there's no tips here, just want to chime in and say, with a SIDS and STARS trip, it went off without a hitch. 

I agree from my limited ATC experience so far. I guess they will vector you in based on the wind so you might have to switch approach plates on the fly...which is annoying.

Just now, andyjohnston.net said:

Yeah, that's not what IFR is, at all.

IFR = instrument flight rules. Meaning you are flying by instruments...meaning you should be able to locate and land at an airport without assistance from ATC (or GPS).

3 minutes ago, Aceman2020 said:

IFR = instrument flight rules. Meaning you are flying by instruments...meaning you should be able to locate and land at an airport without assistance from ATC (or GPS).

That may be what it stands for, but flying IFR means using the ATC to get you on your course, keep you away from other traffic etc.  And then at the end they vector you around to either capture the ILS or until you have a visual on the runway.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

That may be what it stands for, but flying IFR means using the ATC to get you on your course, keep you away from other traffic etc.  And then at the end they vector you around to either capture the ILS or until you have a visual on the runway.

Yes...see I am typing in your quote box...this is messed up! Aceman2020

Edited by Aceman2020

Just now, Aceman2020 said:

Sounds a lot like VFR to me.

No, that's when you are finding your own way.

@Dillon, My experience with ATC has been about the same as yours. I gave up. 

This is feedback I gave through Zendesk:

I did a flight from KLAS to KLAX in the TBM using a routing frequently assigned to turboprops in the real world. No SID but the KIMMO3 arrival starting at the Palmdale VOR (PMD). Filed altitude was FL220.

1. After taking off and contacting departure, I was told to climb and maintain 10,000 and proceed to CRESO (my first fix) "as planned". What should have happened was a heading to intercept a course to CRESO i.e. "turn left heading 130. Intercept V538. Resume own navigation" or cleared "direct CRESO" since the plane is RNAV equipped. "As planned" phraseology needs to go. 

2. I was never cleared to my filed altitude. Instead I was held at 10000 until I figured out that I could request higher a little over halfway through the route. ATC should automatically clear to higher altitudes without the pilot having to request manually.

3. I was given so many frequency changes, I lost count at around 25. That needs to be refined somehow. It is completely unrealistic to get a new frequency every time you cross a sector boundary. 

4. I was given a descent to 13000 and flew the KIMMO3 arrival but was never allowed to descend to the altitudes depicted on the arrival. Instead I was held at 13000 all the way until the final fix on the arrival at the DARTS intersection. 

5. At DARTS I was told to expect the ILS 24R approach and then directed to maintain less than 170 knots and proceed to CRCUS as planned. DARTS is 15 nm from KLAX....CRCUS is an initial approach fix for the ILS 24R 46nm east of KLAX. That caused me to fly outbound from KLAX for 30nm just to turn around and fly back inbound on the ILS (which actually went fairly well...ATC assigned descents too often but I can overlook that for those that don't have the approach plate sitting in front of them). 

Now as to the repeated instruction to maintain less than 170 knots, I was flying around 150 indicated airspeed...My true airspeed and groundspeed, however, were showing around 190. I'm guessing that ATC was referencing ground speed and that caused the repeated . Indicated airspeed should be reference, not TAS or GS.

• Upvote 5

Chris

3 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

No, that's when you are finding your own way.  

Why am I able to edit your quotes?

Aceman2020

Look above...I can type in your quote box. That should not be possible. I have started a topic

Edited by Aceman2020

1 minute ago, Aceman2020 said:

Quote edited out.😉

Why are you able to edit quotes? So that you can avoid quoting a massive post which takes up unnecessary space.🙂

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Why are you able to edit quotes? So that you can avoid quoting a massive post which takes up unnecessary space.🙂

They can just truncate quote to 3 lines when quoted. You should not be able to edit someone quote.

You could always suggest that to the mods. I haven't seen any other complaints about it to be fair

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)