Sign in to follow this  
EagleSkinner

A personal point of view

1 hour ago, crimplene said:

I really do not understand this "I go back to FSX/XP" thing. Do the EULAs require monogamy? Are your SSDs so small?

I always would use FS2020 for sightseeing and bush flying with the Savage Cub or Cessna 152 and then do some "Commercial Flight" from Frankfurt to NYC with FSX.

Since you can only play one game at the time and also because the need different keyboard commands. It is pretty difficult to do all sims. I'm glad I didn't rush into MSFS. What I read now is about what I expected to happen. The sim looks nicer in lots of aspects, but lacks a lot compared with other sims longer in the market. I also create content, fix things for P3D but I can't do this now for MSFS. It's more than just flying.

• Like 2

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

FSX was pretty much history for me the day P3DV2 was out... Altogh i cant say the same now on P3DV4.5 i believe we are in the right direction.

Roi Ben

5 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Can moderators please close these kind of topics? Is getting very tiring reading these rantings instead of sharing tips and asking questions.

Totaly agree!!!

Four pages already? Wow!

Well, feelings are obviously high - apologies to anyone who feels offended by my OP. Unfortunately I am a hippocritter 😉 - I bought a couple of addons and put a freeware one on too. Carenado C182 from the MS shop, Orcas from the MS shop, Tacoma Narrows from ORBX shop, Fairways free from the MS shop.

Now those buys were a pleasure the way they worked. What's more, the Carenado Cessna (although Carenado were not quite as good as A2A imho) proves that MS/Asobo got things wrong. The Carenado is so much of an improvement ofer the default Cessnas - windows open, doors open, flight is fun, paintwork is just outstanding compared to default.

OK, my FSX works great still. Weather addons match anything I have seen in msfs (OK 13 cloud layers...), photoreal terrains in FSX, third party airports and airfields in FSX super.

I will temper my rants and give credit where and when it's due, but I shall only start loving msfs 2020 when I can attack the textures the way I used to be able to.

Stay with me everyone - I am not the worst grumpy old git you'll meet here.

• Like 4

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

I might want to fly a Grumman Goose.  Or a DC-3.  Or a Beaver.  Or a Stearman.

There is a distinct shortage of these kinds of aircraft in MSFS.

(Hm, I just realized all those have radial engines. 😄 )

Yep, vintage radial engine planes are my favorite fixed wing aircraft. I'd add the DHC-3 Otter to the list, although it probably won't be among the first to show up in MSFS. I have an emotional attachment to the Otter after surviving a ditching at sea in Costa Rica during an airphoto shoot, many years ago. Tough old bird.

There must be at least one or more developers working on a DC-3 or a Dak as payware. That's an iconic aircraft for any flight sim. They'd better get the sounds right, and I hope it includes realistic engine management.

And helicopters of course. It's the available aircraft like these that will keep me flying X-Plane alongside MSFS for a while. And maybe continuing into the future flying both, depending on what XP12 brings to the table. I don't think it can match what MSFS is doing with scenery, but it's not going to stand still either.

Interesting times!

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, EagleSkinner said:

Now those buys were a pleasure the way they worked. What's more, the Carenado Cessna (although Carenado were not quite as good as A2A imho) proves that MS/Asobo got things wrong. The Carenado is so much of an improvement ofer the default Cessnas - windows open, doors open, flight is fun, paintwork is just outstanding compared to default.

Could you explain in more detail how flight is more fun for you in the Carenado Cessna? Reviews are actually quite bad for that plane as its G1000 implementation is a downgrade even compared to the stock MSFS avionics and overall it seems like a straight port from the FSX version.

2 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Could you explain in more detail how flight is more fun for you in the Carenado Cessna? Reviews are actually quite bad for that plane as its G1000 implementation is a downgrade even compared to the stock MSFS avionics and overall it seems like a straight port from the FSX version.

Just a general feel. I have all settings in the package setup screens on "Options/General/Flight Model" set to  "Legacy", "Realistic" and all sliders to full right (100%) . All Controls settings are at maximum sensitivity - basic reason is that GA are not FBW but have direct tubes and tensioned wire links to the control surfaces. But all that is because I prefer Extras and Pitts.

I really only bought this because I did want to compare and to try out the msfs shop. Like I mentioned after being accused of a rant - I will persevere

The Carenado just feels better - things like opening doors and windows. taxiing works on the numbers. Take off and climb just feel like they do in real (I worked for Airbus in Hamburg and they have a 182 in their flying club - for the price of fuel sharing I often got a jolly with PPL members and the first thing they all say is the Cessna was designed to be gentle. Stall, and it gives you fair warning to let go of the stick It'll nose down on its own, level wings and give you time to catch your breath. The msfs Cessna is a 172, so there will be differences. I only had the retract gear 182 in FSX. The Carenado 182 isn't trying to kill me but the stock 172 feels like it might 🙂

Like I say - it's feel. The cockpit works better for my liking. I would prefer standard instruments anyway, I don't like the G1000 panels. Too fiddly without some learning time I watch the standby clocks anyway. 😉

Oh - and the artwork is prettier on the carenado. More choice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

5 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

I have not taken the plunge yet into MSFSXX:  I had a feeling that a huge, complicated project like this would be buggy.  But missing many features that used to be standard?.   I'm sure everyone else out there did not expect everything to work 100% out of the "box" . But I cringed when this was first introduced to the flight sim world that it world also be an XBox add-on.  I had a feeling it might be dumbed-down to appeal to a younger demographics.  Am I right?  Is that why it may have been released a little too early w/o some fixes?  (Plus all the flying tips included for novice simmers).  Who knows?  Only Microsoft.  Or perhaps  MS saw the all excitement it generated from their hype campaign and decided to get it out there?  We'll fix it all down the road, said they.  Even the installation process is a needless MS fiasco, and overly complicated. 

But enough nitpicking:  I myself will purchase it after the New Year - but only after investing in a new gaming rig in to run this monster of the midway.  So maybe, just maybe in 6 months time, this sim will live up to everyone's expectations?  

Fully  agree. My plan too.

My Troll-O-Meter is still running.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

5 hours ago, EagleSkinner said:

Well, feelings are obviously high - apologies to anyone who feels offended by my OP.

Just a guess, but I'm betting no one would have complained if you'd said you were going back to XPlane.

It's just Avsim being Avsim.  An unfortunate fact of life for anyone who wishes to post here.  We put up with it because this is where the action is.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Xplane? I was angry enough every time FSX froze up and CTD'd - I did install XP, bat can't say I was very impressed. Worked OK. A bit like the difference between Commodore and Atari and later Atari vs Amiga...

I had as much fun playing that space flight game "Mercenary" (all wireframe models) to tell the truth. All improvements on Flightsim have really been about the eye candy for me. I still cheat and turn of crash detection. I do like flying low in msfs now - I just love nap of the earth stuff. hmmm So when we getting helicopters, I want to see if the BO 105 is as capable in msfs as the real thing - search youtube for BO 105 Low Level and watch Charly Zimmerman really cutting the grass...

😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

the sims barely 1 month old .........the same people beating the P3d drum ... because the less people using it ,the less developers will develop it, and there for it may become dare I say it obsolete ....I think every sim has its good - bad points ..... Give it time to grow ......

Look.  I get it.  If you primarily sim with airliners, I can understand going back to a previous sim.  You'll get good performance and the old "mesh/ / landclass" method of scenery generation looks fine from 35000 AGL.  

But going back to FSX for VFR?  No way.  I can't handle the haphazard way that 2004 randomly put buildings.  I can't handle not being able to pick out freeways because they are drowned out by masses of generic urban textures that have zero correlation with how the roads actually are laid out.

I had Ultimate Roads for FS9 and that added another layer of realism but still clashed with the generic textures used in towns and cities.

MSFS 2020 doesn't have that problem. Autogen for the most part puts buildings where they should be and the roads and highways are accurate.  Parks and golf courses are where they should be.  And even towns that don't benefit from photogrammetry, I can pick out my family members houses.

Nothing available up to now has had that level of detail, warts and all.  And for a VFR experience, I would say that is crucial.  

Not to mention, this is the first sim's where clouds have been adequately simulated.  For the first time I actually feel small next to some clouds.  And in some weather conditions I felt vulnerable.  No sim has made me feel like that.  

For VFR, MSFS 2020 has spoiled me.  FSX just can't provide me with any level of suspension of disbelief, even when I'm getting 70+ FPS with everything maxed out.

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 4

People are free to do what they want. Since we are a community, they are also free to speak about it 🙂 

With that said, same applies to me. I think it is strange to leave for FSX to get a good vfr experience. If anything, it is what MSF did right. 

Some people obviously are annoyed that the sim isnt picture perfect at launch. Others, like me, feel like we are a part of a rocket launch to the moon, and every single day something happens in this community, either by Asobo, a TPD or freeware, that pushes the sim forward. 

Asobo has stated several times over that the flight sim community is their main focus and they are in it for the long haul. So am I 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

On 8/25/2020 at 11:37 AM, omarsmak30 said:

Can moderators please close these kind of topics? Is getting very tiring reading these rantings instead of sharing tips and asking questions.

I agree. Avsim should erect a  virtual "wall of tears" where everyone can deposit their grievances.