Sign in to follow this  

This will be an interesting fall for GPUs. I am sure AMD is not sitting on their hands.

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

The Ram upgrade will probably happen - when the card goes to 12gb (my bet) or 16gb when 3080 RTX Super launches (probably next year).  Either way looks impressive.  We all throwing good money to get extra fps on our sims (too bad LM, needs to optimize the engine even more...it is being held back by legacy code for backward compatibility.....heck with old code)

I am just gonna go 3090 all out

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

25 minutes ago, pgde said:

This will be an interesting fall for GPUs. I am sure AMD is not sitting on their hands.

I'm interested to see what Big Navi brings to the table though more from what could it do for Nvidia pricing perspective. A 3080 priced at $699 seems like it'll present a tough challenge to Big Navi though and Nvidia likely have the 3080ti waiting in the wings too. I guess we'll see how things pan out in due course. 

19 hours ago, pgde said:

I am pretty sure they do sit on their hands. Otherwise they could make use of them and type something about the new series on the keyboard. When they don't in the next two weeks they loose most likely a lot of potential customers. Even though, I am not gonna buy AMD because I want to avoid headaches the the driver issues they have.

On 9/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, micstatic said:

The interesting thing here is it is showing only a 750W power supply needed.  Rumors were saying 800W.  This is based on a 10900k processor.  Not sure if that contemplates it being a 10900k OC'd.  350W actually used.  So I may return the 1000W GPU I ordered.  I guess I will see what the youtube reviewers like Gamers Nexus and Linus find when they hook it up to the bench. 

I have an 850 watt so I may be ok there, but I'm concerned about not having the psu connectors needed.  I'll definitely have to research it a little more.  Plus the sheer size of the card...I'll need to check a lot of things if I decide to go this route.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Well they have the dimensions up to take a look. That should help. I’m now considering if I should return the 1000w and get an 850. But other than price difference between two I’m not sure it matters. Doesn’t seem like power usage will be more if my rig isn’t actually trying to pull more. Good times for simulator people though 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

Well they have the dimensions up to take a look. That should help. I’m now considering if I should return the 1000w and get an 850. But other than price difference between two I’m not sure it matters. Doesn’t seem like power usage will be more if my rig isn’t actually trying to pull more. Good times for simulator people though 

You have the 1000, you might as well keep it as long as it has the necessary connectors.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 9/1/2020 at 8:34 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It does also say that two gpu cables are needed. I know my 750w psu only has one cable that’s split on the end to two 6+2 (8) pin for the gpu. No space on the psu to plug another. Means a new psu..... I wonder how many will find themselves in this boat...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QFSL8VW/ Or similar may be a solution ... worked for me with a 980Ti and an old PSU that didn’t have the correct connectors. 

Paul Hand