Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Questions About THe Citation CJ4

I'm trying out a new plane, the CJ4 and have a few questions:

1. How do I switch from FMS to VOR mode?

2. Where are the Anti-Ice switches located. My pitot tubes froze up and I lost the airspeed indicator (anti-icing is nicely modeled).

3. Finally, and most importantly: I've been reading conflicting information about this: When I select an approach procedure in the FMS, does the autopilot then fly the procedure?

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I'm trying out a new plane, the CJ4 and have a few questions:

1. How do I switch from FMS to VOR mode?

2. Where are the Anti-Ice switches located. My pitot tubes froze up and I lost the airspeed indicator (anti-icing is nicely modeled).

3. Finally, and most importantly: I've been reading conflicting information about this: When I select an approach procedure in the FMS, does the autopilot then fly the procedure?

Thanks!

Ice protection is on this panel here:

OURjDUe.jpg

To quickly swap your CDI between FMS NAV1 and NAV2, hit the NAV button here above the PFD:

j43gO1Y.jpg

As far as approaches, yes, it will fly the procedure if it is loaded in the FMS, but for an ILS, you will need to swap the CDI before activating LOC or APPR mode.

Usually, you want to wait until you're on the final approach course, swap the CDI to LOC1 and then hit the LOC button, once that's established, hit the APPR button to activate the glideslope as well.

For RNAV approaches, it is hit or miss across the entire sim as to whether there's vertical guidance. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, so for now, I don't rely on it.

Also, usually the ILS frequency gets tuned into the FMS with the approach automatically, but it is always best to check it from the TUN screen in the FMS and make sure you've got the right ILS freq. This is also where you can tune VORs in the event you're feeling old school or want to fly a VOR approach.

The only thing that really doesn't work AT ALL in the plane is VNAV. Just pretend it isn't there, plan to descend at 3000 fpm and that means it will take you 15 minutes to get down from 45,000', and in that time you'll cover about 80 miles, so start a descent from the 40,000's 80 mi out, from 30k 60 mi out, 20k, 40 mi out, etc...

Have fun.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

From my understanding and flying the TBM I noticed RNAV approches without a WAAS designation do not show glidepath, but all approaches a WAAS frequency on the chart will show glidepath.

Not sure if that is correct but it is what I'm seeing most of the time.

Sean Green

This is probably a stupid question but I can't get the nav display to zoom in and out, the button isn't clickable?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

21 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

This is probably a stupid question but I can't get the nav display to zoom in and out, the button isn't clickable?

Use the range knob to the right of the radar menu button in the second picture I posted above. It is the inner knob.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

I'm loving your modded CJ4, Mr. cwburnett.

Thanks for these tips, the nav one is especially useful.

I've previously been using the the PFD menu and scrolling and selecting brg source.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

1 hour ago, cwburnett said:

Use the range knob to the right of the radar menu button in the second picture I posted above. It is the inner knob.

Thanks, I should've known it'd be tied to the weather radar controls, bloody Collins!

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Btw, I find the displays incredibly difficult to read. Tiny letters and numbers and dim. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Me too. Seems only way is to setup a cockpit camera view with CTRL+ALT number. I use number 2 (Alt+2). 

Overall I think this will be a great sim once sorted out but at present I'm surprised it was released so soon with so many bugs.

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Btw, I find the displays incredibly difficult to read. Tiny letters and numbers and dim. Is there a setting I'm missing?

No.  The CJ is the worst offender for small text.  I'm at 1080P and it's simply unreadable at a regular seating position.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi ryanbatcund.

I agree the visibility is not good so I use the in house viewer:  Alt Gr + mouse left click will give you a window to adjust.  I use the small PFD above the Baro adjust knob and half of this will give you the height and speed readout.  When it isn't needed just use the drop to bottom of screen to clear.

53 minutes ago, joepearson said:

Hi ryanbatcund.

I agree the visibility is not good so I use the in house viewer:  Alt Gr + mouse left click will give you a window to adjust.  I use the small PFD above the Baro adjust knob and half of this will give you the height and speed readout.  When it isn't needed just use the drop to bottom of screen to clear.

Joe,

Can you elaborate on how this works for you.  What is the initial keystroke to kick this on? And how to turn it off.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .