Sign in to follow this  
MikeyOnTheFlightDeck

VATSIM vs IVAO

I’m looking to,fly with ATC and wondered what the preferred option is when integrating with MSFS? Is one more busier than the other?. I appreciate VATSIM has the steeper learning curve and less tolerance to rookies. 

I have very little experience with IVAO, but from what I’ve heard, it’s more catered toward European fliers, whereas VATSIM has the larger North American hub. Although Europe is very popular on VATSIM as well... VATSIM seems to be a bit more popular than IVAO as well (700 pilots on IVAO right now vs 900 on VATSIM).

I don’t know anyone that flies on IVAO here in the US though. All of my friends fly on VATSIM.

Edited by FlyingInACessna

Both aim to provide realistic ATC on a multiplayer server so the differences are somewhat nuanced; IVAO traditionally had more integrated software and is generally more centralised whereas VATSIM was more open to third party provision of tools (pilot clients, radar clients etc) and more regionalised management and policies.

These days the biggest difference is ATC coverage, for example: North America, United Kingdom, Germany, Northern Europe tend to be much better served on VATSIM, whereas IVAO has a strong hold on France and Italy (Spain was kind've on a par). The other thing is that VATSIM tends to be a bit stricter with their controllers, you get great quality ATC but if you want to control it takes a long time to climb the ranks. IVAO had much better pilot software for a long time imo, but VATSIM has caught up in that regard.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/578695-vatsim-partnership-confirmed/?tab=comments#comment-4276015

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

On 9/7/2020 at 10:17 PM, FlyingInACessna said:

I have very little experience with IVAO, but from what I’ve heard, it’s more catered toward European fliers, whereas VATSIM has the larger North American hub. Although Europe is very popular on VATSIM as well... VATSIM seems to be a bit more popular than IVAO as well (700 pilots on IVAO right now vs 900 on VATSIM).

I don’t know anyone that flies on IVAO here in the US though. All of my friends fly on VATSIM.

Whould you hapmen to know wich network is the more populated by VFR traffic? Thank you

You could always try pilot edge, but that is not free. Also vatsim has a relatively easy set up, all you have to do is create an account and install Vpilot and then you can fly and connect. Simple.

I'd probably say IVAO is more populated in VFR traffic but I might be wrong.

Edited by Zaakit

33 minutes ago, Zaakit said:

You could always try pilot edge, but that is not free. Also vatsim has a relatively easy set up, all you have to do is create an account and install Vpilot and then you can fly and connect. Simple.

I'd probably say IVAO is more populated in VFR traffic but I might be wrong.

Both feature the same simple setup. IVAO just replaced its ageing software with brand new clients which are real good, has both IFR and VFR traffic, there's no "specialization" of sorts.

Also, IVAO has a career path for both pilot and ATC (with theoretical and practical exams up to ATP/Senior Controller) and a friendly environment.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 2

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

2 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Both feature the same simple setup. IVAO just replaced its ageing software with brand new clients which are real good, has both IFR and VFR traffic, there's no "specialization" of sorts.

Also, IVAO has a career path for both pilot and ATC (with theoretical and practical exams up to ATP/Senior Controller) and a friendly environment.

I actually tried the new software yesterday and today. Its amazing, much more user friendly than the old Ivap! Can be confusing thi, as many of the "getting started" section of the website still refers to the old software 🙂

Yeah since it is so new it has quite a few things to be worked on, but it's off to a nice start it seems. Can't speak much about VATSIM because i flew there for a very short time (10-15 hours?) in comparison with 20k+ on IVAO. Yeah that's 20000+ 🙂

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

7 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Yeah since it is so new it has quite a few things to be worked on, but it's off to a nice start it seems. Can't speak much about VATSIM because i flew there for a very short time (10-15 hours?) in comparison with 20k+ on IVAO. Yeah that's 20000+ 🙂

Yea, its real good. Arent you like an admin or from the IVAO board? I think i recognise the name from somewhere 🙂

No, i used to be a staff member but not any longer, i just don't have enough free time for the hobby anymore.

Alright. I used to hang around the French Polynesian Division a lot from the FS9 days. Maybe thats where i came across you. Now after a hiatus of many years, im getting back to it (thanks to msfs) 

I’ve departed VATSIM, arrived IVAO and vice versa many times. Why not use both? They both have good, great and exceptional controllers and I love the localized procedures and accents. Plus they are FREE.

I’ve heard the same lady controlling after each of 4 handoffs on Pilot Edge... meh.

C

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

3 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

I’ve departed VATSIM, arrived IVAO and vice versa many times. Why not use both? They both have good, great and exceptional controllers and I love the localized procedures and accents. Plus they are FREE.

I’ve heard the same lady controlling after each of 4 handoffs on Pilot Edge... meh.

C

Just got back to IVAO 2 days ago, god i forgot how amazing it is. Is it just me or there is a little FPS hit as soon as Altitude connects? (no matter if there is traffic or not) 

4 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

C

Sure, but PE is staffed like 15 hours a day....  and it's challenging to find fully staffed ARTCCs even on vatsim...unless there's an event.

Honestly they're not really comparable....  the target audience is different for PE vs vatsim/ivao

One more note...  when I worked at Duluth, you'd hear me working approach, tower, and ground late in the evenings... so it's not super unusual to hear one voice over multiple freqs

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |