Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Epgd

live weather is a joke still....

Weather is marked as 'Significantly Improved in next update'.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, janda said:

Weather should be priotity to fix - Asobo ! 

Read last week's Dev update, they say it will be fixed, or at least 'improved' in the next patch.

Anyone recall the old FSX weather provider? Was it Jeppeson? It was never very reliable either. 🙂

36 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Anyone recall the old FSX weather provider? Was it Jeppeson? It was never very reliable either. 🙂

Whatever it was for me was not bad.  That from a sim pilot steeped in weather true life experience.  It did certainly begin to fail after aprox 2012.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Just now, fppilot said:

Whatever it was for me was not bad.  That from a sim pilot steeped in weather true life experience.  It did certainly begin to fail after aprox 2012.

Seems Jeppeson and MS has a good relationship. As a Pilot, Jeppeson is a class act.

1 hour ago, Adrian123 said:

Two things I would gladly pay for with this. HiFi weather and RXP GTN's!

Although I totally feel your frustration, your comment is akin to saying:

"I bought a new car that was equipped with a great touch-screen audio & navigation system, but because It is not working properly, I will 'gladly pay' for a new Alpine audio & navigation system and, possibly, a supplemental Garmin navigation system to replace the factory-installed unit. I know that the factory-installed unit should work but, well, it doesn't. So, rather than insist that the car dealer & manufacturer correct/replace the affected unit, I will simply fork over the additional money to purchase other systems that work properly & do the job."

My feeling is if people are willing to pay more for delivered items that should initially work properly rather than insisting that they be corrected (or waiting a modest period of time for them to be repaired by the "[car] dealer or manufacturer"), then they deserve to pay more! I do not expect miracles or instantaneous fixes, but I do expect these types of items to ultimately be rectified by the "car dealer & manufacturer", Microsoft/Asobo, and I am willing to wait a modest period of time toward that end.

I guess the response to this argument would be:

"Well Rusty, what constitutes a modest period of time?!"

Oh, I don't know, but certainly more than 22 days (18 Aug. - 9 Sept.).

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Just now, RustyFlyer said:

My feeling is

MS should make it much easier for n3rd party development since they cant do it! 😉

4 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

"... since they cant do it! 😉

Go for it, knock yourself out! Purchase a supplemental weather system and a supplemental G1000 system!

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

It should have what was advertised ! and it should be working !

please no more add-ons , it gets ridiculously expensive .... 

Jeppesen weather had a number of problems.  There was no smoothing and no sanity check.  You would get sudden changes of wind and a few times I had the altimeter change by 1000 feet, then a few minutes later change back.

I haven't had enough wind in MSFS to know what it does, but I've seen the altimeter suddenly change when going to a new weather "cell."

The main reason I bought Active Sky right after it was released was to get the provided weather map.  I've been using Active Sky ever since.  It does a good job of smoothing, sanity checking and interpolation if the closest METAR is out of date.  It also does interesting weather injection in areas far from any station.  

I'm interested in buying Active Sky for MSFS when it becomes available, and for all the same reasons I got it to replace Jeppesen weather.  If MeteoBlue improves it may not be needed.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

It takes some time to process the satellite images on which at least part of the weather experience is based. So unless they start relying more on the forecasts, the lag will stay. 

3 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Or more!! 69 bucks for the base sim is cheap IMO. Let the pro's, like HiFi do the weather. It's what they do. Sim developers doing weather injection is like the old VCR TV combo. Neither worker well.

With all due respect to HiFi, we currently got in-sim something far more superior then anything we saw from HiFi till today. 

Their products simply replicate meters. But what about between airports metars ? Thats where they always failed. 

If Asobo will make their live weather to work properly its an amazing feature.

Roi Ben

3 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Or more!! 69 bucks for the base sim is cheap IMO. Let the pro's, like HiFi do the weather. It's what they do. Sim developers doing weather injection is like the old VCR TV combo. Neither worker well.

With all due respect to HiFi, we currently got in-sim something far more superior then anything we saw from HiFi till today. 

Their products simply replicate meters. But what about between airports metars ? Thats where they always failed. 

If Asobo will make their live weather to work properly its an amazing feature.

Roi Ben

As far as winds go, you can tell they have all the data ready because when you select the wind overlay in the pre-flight screen it shows global wind data. So it doesn't appear to be a lack of data, more like a lack of application. Hopefully this month the weather gets fixed and we can move on from that.

(at least it has live weather unlike some other sim I paid $200 for. No dig, just fact)

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

A long time ago I used to help test OPUSfsx voluntarily by stress testing it. mostly because I love weather and used the sim to fly around in weather. OPUSfsx was great for that. 80% of why i got FS2020 was for the advertised beautiful live weather.

In my testing and comparisons with MS2020's live weather vs real world weather it is consistently downloading weather once a day that is either 12 hours or 36 hours old from UTC time. While what gets loaded is "real" weather, it is not live by any stretch. Even a 24 hour lag would be acceptable, but because of the 12 hour offset in the US we are getting nighttime weather in the day and daytime weather at night. For things like convective storms, fog, etc that depend on the time of day that simply doesn't work.

What's crazy is you can't even check what actual weather conditions are loaded into the game. The weather details are greyed out. you have to look at the globe and actually load into airports , use slew mode to check cloud conditions etc. All It gives us is a generic LIVE weather picture and wind speed/direction on your chosen airport which we can't even be certain is correct. When tuning to the ATIS it has told me the same conditions of 3nm visibility and the same 3 cloud layers since launch, so that is not working either. It's stuck.

Now in the US here for a while it didn't even inject weather in to the SIM, no clouds and clear air everywhere. I discovered by connecting to European servers I DO get clouds injected even if they are 12 hours old. I saw my first clouds in Texas in the weeks since launch just today! I also found sometimes that deleting the rolling cache file, and restarting the game sometimes triggers a wx update, but not consistently. Even then it still downloads 12 hour old data at best.

In the meantime, flying on the other half of the planet, you do seem to get correct weather and some winds buffeting the plane around. I did a flight around KL Malaysia and it was amazing to see actual working weather. It seems to have good resolution, and feels totally real and immersive. I even got to use the little radars in the plane, I didn't realize they actually worked. Exactly what the game is supposed to do.

I know LONG ago FSX had issues due to time zone changes and daylight savings. My hunch is something in the game is throwing up errors or causing problems on the back-end because something simple as DST is messing it all up. I suspect this also because while flying over Arizona and hitting the little blue "live" button in the in-flight weather settings to see a sunset, it would shift the UTC time off 30 minutes from reality. It thought I was 30 minutes in the future. I could only get it to detect the real time again by rebooting the game.

TL;DR something is absolutely broken with the weather system. We're not talking about a 30 minute or hour lag, that would be totally acceptable and understandable. This is something specific to the US breaking the weather injection system, getting stuck data in the ATIS, getting nothing off the US servers, and getting 12 hour old data at best from the European servers.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.