Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

Glass Cockpit Refresh rate?

2 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Gauges are CPU business, a new GPU won't affect this.

I believe that you are mistaken on that, -  at least in part. 

The gauges are rendered as a texture using Coherent GT on the GPU (obviously there is a cost to this on the CPU as well) and then sampled during the 3d Render.   The Coherent GT cost shown on the FPS display seems to get added to the 3d render cost when determining if your are GPU limited in the FPS display.

• Like 1

The choppy frame glass update rate in 'medium' mode gives me a headache.  No major performance increase in the TBM930 though, so I set it back to 'high'.

I have to wonder why in this modern world of quad core CPUs and GBs of RAM we have to put up with such choppy updates in order to improve performance.  A real G1000 is running on some kind of an embedded microcontroller with limited resources and no GPU.  

Surely you could run an entire emulation of a real G1000 including all the rendering on less than one core of a modern CPU and just push the display contents to the GPU.  It's one texture for the maps and a few sprites, plenty of microcontrollers can render this with no problem.

Instead we get JavaScript BS that is intended to make the static UI on a first person shooter being misused to draw complex displays and the performance is word not allowed.

• Like 3

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

For me it broke the flight plan in the TBM. I just removed it and now it is working again

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

Pretty sure there’s no reason for this mod. Asobo seems to have done a good job of optimizing themselves this time around. Plus, it breaks several screens on different airplanes. 

Edited by FlyingInACessna

45 minutes ago, Richdem said:

For me it broke the flight plan in the TBM. I just removed it and now it is working again

Yeah he thought he fixed it but negative. Anyways, next version then. I take every frame I can get.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

23 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

The choppy frame glass update rate in 'medium' mode gives me a headache.  No major performance increase in the TBM930 though, so I set it back to 'high'.

I have to wonder why in this modern world of quad core CPUs and GBs of RAM we have to put up with such choppy updates in order to improve performance.  A real G1000 is running on some kind of an embedded microcontroller with limited resources and no GPU.  

Surely you could run an entire emulation of a real G1000 including all the rendering on less than one core of a modern CPU and just push the display contents to the GPU.  It's one texture for the maps and a few sprites, plenty of microcontrollers can render this with no problem.

Instead we get JavaScript BS that is intended to make the static UI on a first person shooter being misused to draw complex displays and the performance is word not allowed.

Hi marsman, do you happen to limit your fps to 30 as I do in NVCP?  I'm experiencing same experience as yours. I think that this new refresh rate setting is more suited for people running the sim with unlimited or maybe 60 fps.

Sergio Naiberg

Nope, I'm on an AMD 5700XT.  I do have unlimited framerate set in the FS2020 graphics settings.  Per the developer mode overlay in sim my framerate ranges from ~30-50 fps, on 'high-end' settings.

I wish they gave us a little more information on what the 3 glass update settings corresponded to. 

Also - the MFD probably doesn't need to update as quick as the PFD. Would be nice to have separate settings in a menu on the G1000 itself.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

On 9/17/2020 at 11:06 AM, wthomas33065 said:

I'm chasing at least 24FPS in ALL instances.  And that still may be a pipedream.  24FPS is film quality and that will work for me.

Mission accomplished.   (All sliders at High End with Clouds at Ultra), traffic @ 100%.   KORD had some dips to 24FPS during roll out but very momentary.  Everywhere else, I have capped at straight 30 and it feels fantastic.  That extra 2GB of VRAM makes a world of difference.  What a nifty little powerhouse this GTX 1660 super is.  At least for 1080p stuff.  

26 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

Nope, I'm on an AMD 5700XT.  I do have unlimited framerate set in the FS2020 graphics settings.  Per the developer mode overlay in sim my framerate ranges from ~30-50 fps, on 'high-end' settings.

I wish they gave us a little more information on what the 3 glass update settings corresponded to. 

Also - the MFD probably doesn't need to update as quick as the PFD. Would be nice to have separate settings in a menu on the G1000 itself.

Ok, thanks for your reply. If you try to limit in NVCP to 30 as I do the PFD is awful worse then, I cant fly with the setting t other less than high. Anyway, you're on point with last comment also,separate settings would be best for sure, lets post something in the official forum.

Sergio Naiberg

It still feels buggy to me. 

I'm flying from KJFK to EGLL in the 787 with the latest patch...everything was fine for a few hours, then I started doing some work with the CDU and my FPS dropped to 10. I've tried changing the refresh - at low, med, and high, it's still stuck at 10fps and limited by coherent GT draw.

EDIT: I'm using a new 787 mod, so that could be part of the issue...

Edited by nyfirefly11
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, nyfirefly11 said:

It still feels buggy to me. 

I'm flying from KJFK to EGLL in the 787 with the latest patch...everything was fine for a few hours, then I started doing some work with the CDU and my FPS dropped to 10. I've tried changing the refresh - at low, med, and high, it's still stuck at 10fps and limited by coherent GT draw.

EDIT: I'm using a new 787 mod, so that could be part of the issue...

By any chance do you have the vfr map active ? I found disabling the vfr map stopped all my stutters and coherent Gt draw reduced usage

Hmm I’m not sure how people can’t tell the difference between low and high 😛 it’s like night and day with the delay in response time!

Edited by UAL4life
  • Like 2

Setting this to medium made the displays choppy and close to unusable. Set it back to high and all is back to normal. I noticed 0 improvement when set at medium. This was in the Citation Longitude. 

• Like 2