Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

So I thought about firing up P3D and/or XP last night...

I was tempted to fire up P3D and/or XP to get a bit more training in. The QW 787 for P3D looks really good, and I figured I would get some training in. So I decided to watch a few videos and it immediately felt like going back in time. This isn't a slam on either of those products  as they are both excellent in their own right. It just underscores how insane the leap forward MSFS is. Literally the medium/low settings in MSFS are on par with the best in those sims. It is really pretty crazy to think how far forward we have come with this sim. Ultimately, I could not bring myself to install either of them. I'd rather spend the time improving my knowledge. Of course, I would never think of posting this in either of those forums because why go there? 

Hopefully both can answer the MSFS challenge because the gap is insane visually right now. I think it will be a lot easier for MSFS to close the gap in areas that are broken (which is just about everything lol) versus the mountain XP and P3D need to climb to come close to the technological tour de force that MS has unleashed on them. But I hope they can answer! Better for the community. Otherwise all the converts to MSFS will remind us every day why P3D or XP was better in this area, or that area. lol

Edited by RobJC
  • Like 16

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Been flying exclusively in OnAir and MSFS the past week or so and the small default airports in the north of Norway, Sweden and Finland is really impressive. Their counterpart in the other sims are in comparison hilariously bad. Man I long for the day when I can get a really nerdy Turboprop in MSFS (like the TBM for X-plane or Majestic Q400). Wow. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Rob, you may want to make a list of all the addons required to make it look this good? 😉

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Yawn.....  the P3D guys are really on a mission 🤣

Haven't they got better things to do 🤪

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Rob, you may want to make a list of all the addons required to make it look this good? 😉

Some of us at least are also interested in flying and flight realism.  All of my current flying schedule is in FSX SE with full navdata, functioning RXP avionics, and consistent uninterrupted flights.  I am trying to later mirror some of those flights in MFS, but there are significant obstacles.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 minute ago, Novation said:

Haven't they got better things to do 🤪

Yes. Fly.

• Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

MSFS still has a ways to go when it comes to LOD Radius.

Cheers, Rob.

You know you can set the LOD radius above 200 right? 

• Like 4

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Wow what a difference cpu temps 

Your under water pretty hefty cpu temps on P3D side of things

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

17 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I had made this video during Tech Alpha in regards to LOD Radius issues in MSFS and short the radius is with missing building detail at a given distance:

MSFS still has a ways to go when it comes to LOD Radius.

Cheers, Rob.

Top video has no life. I thought it wasn't even playing. Bottom looks more believable. P3d is on its last leg

• Like 10

I fly  all 3 sims-P3Dv5hf2,XPlane 11.50 Vulcan and MSFS2020

Darrington 1S2 to Orcas KORS is a common to all 3 sims flight with same Addon airports available for all 3 sims

Could be flown for comparison 

MSFS 2020 does do the best business but..........

Not all scenery is available to AddOns standards at airports-I use Orbx

Not many planes are available in MSFS  2020-P3Dv5 and XPlane have some fabulous planes -not so much in MSFS 2020-yet!

I bush fly with RTMM -only available in P3D v5

We are spoilt for choice-lucky simmers!

xxd09

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, devgrp said:

Top video has no life. I thought it wasn't even playing. Bottom looks more believable. P3d is on its last leg

Not to mention the crutch (of addons) for that weak leg....

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes, but was not able to sustain 30 FPS.

Cheers, Rob.

Come on Rob I can keep 40+ on my 6 year old PC and with these setting below, you probably have the most powerful PC on these forums. You also set P3D well beyond the normal config limits with config tweaks. I probably could not run your setting even on my ordered PC.

Also like you do with P3D the LOD in MSFS can be manually set up to 900 from the max UI of 200, that's the kind of thing you would normally be doing. Also you can up shadows to 8k manually, that's also Rob A normally tweaking stuff.

My-Settings.png

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

28 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

QW 787 out of KSEA in P3D V5.0 HF1 seems very good visually to me?

No doubt the video looks good.

The point is MSFS looks much better...and is capable of so much more visually...in stock form...above and beyond those specialized areas we see in similar P3D vids loaded with addon "make up".

YT vids have exploded showcasing MSFS in many different areas of the "world". It is much more than a 12 minute vidbite...it is a visually captivating world to explore.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, xxd09 said:

We are spoilt for choice-lucky simmers!

That's my takeaway from this...what a change from a few years ago!