Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

So I thought about firing up P3D and/or XP last night...

Just now, Nyxx said:

Well no mate, 🙂 because MSFS cost also for the base sim. Unless people buy the £200 version for P3D ^^

You threw every cost in but the kitchen sink, except the sim. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just now, roi1862 said:

And you flying locked 42fps with this ??

No, I test with unlocked FPS only and at my test airport I get 49-51, over NY/London 35-40. So around 40-45 average.

I use RTSS and lock FPS at 30. I never run unlimited FPS. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

7 minutes ago, DJJose said:

You threw every cost in but the kitchen sink, except the sim. 😀

and i am guilty of buying all of them apart from TE 🙂, if i did a list of what I bought for P3D, i would cry lol. But I did enjoy them all. FSL and all PMDG....ouch!!

After pay day, I am buying around another 5 addon airports total cost less than £80 for all addons so far, feels cheap as chips lol.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just now, Nyxx said:

and i am guilty of buying all of them apart from TE 🙂, if i did a list of what I bought for P3D, i would cry lol.

Well you were smarter than me because I have ORBX TE for XP & P3D. Double wammy!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

No, I test with unlocked FPS only and at my test airport I get 49-51, over NY/London 35-40. So around 40-45 average.

And when locked you CPU or GPU limited ?

Roi Ben

10 hours ago, robert young said:

Yes, those "old" sims are really past it. V5 is, oh, at least a few months old. Out with the old fashioned stuff. New is always better. I'm throwing out all my Mozart and Bach recordings. Several hundred years old that music. I've got better things to do. Chucked away my renaissance art books too. They're even older. Doesn't matter if these things are any good or not. What matters is that they are old, past it, expired, and as I am only allowed to own one item in any category, the old stuff had to go, even though I liked some qualities in all of them.

I don't know why you quoted me Robert, as that was not what my reaction was about, and I agree with you.  I'm simply fed up of threads where people who are devoted to one platform come in to bash, or try to prove their chosen sim is better, and that goes for MSFS users doing the same in the P3D and XP forums. If you look at some peoples post history, that is pretty much ALL they do, and it gets boring. The last post I made in the P3D area was to advise sticking with that platform as I didn't think that person would get a better experience with MSFS currently.  I have all the sims, going way back, but only use one at the moment, as it does all I want and need. I must admit I became fed up with XP for various reasons and was glad to get away from it, but I had P3D from the first, and very buggy version. I even did some stuff for LM's promotion side on the platform.

3 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

And when locked you CPU or GPU limited ?

No idea, all I can tell you is I have very little stutters and the sim runs 95% of the time silky smooth. that's all I need. Sorry I don't look at that stuff unless I have problems , going through every setting myself as the guilds are never right. I find what works for my PC no one else's. Then lock FPS. I also use TrackIR and everything is smooth.

Just now, tweekz said:

As long as it runs OK I prefer it to look better than to run smoother/faster. How were we able to play games before Vulkan / DX12? 😉

That being said, afaik MS/ASOBO are working on DX12 anyway.

What really sets MSFS and XP/P3D apart are the resources they have at hands. While XP got about 12 guys + contractors, ASOBO consists of 200 + contractors. They can work on multiple things the same time.

Second argument is the kind of religious cult of loyal parts of the XP community.

How where we able to play GTA 2 with no 3d at all? and have no private cars? and no fire?

not sure what you are trying to claim here other than the fact that tech evolves with time and we all should adapt, nothing to do with flight siming as a specific.

Your resources argument is fine and true, but from a tech perspective of current graphical features... you don't need 200+ developers to be able to render a good looking cloud or tree.

It's more about their bloated azure ai and streaming thing, then again, better industry alternatives already are better at rendering open world... how do you explain that? tech evolves, surprise.

As for the second argument; for first, Xplane has helicopters..

Airliners? MSFS has nothing study level at all, this is a much bigger gap to close by it self. when PMDG are releasing the first one? 2021 yeah...

study level 3pd airliners in development now for x-plane: B777, B787, A340, A350, A380.

so instead of accusing me in a cult involvement, the stage is yours to spread you knowledge, I got tired.

the gap is getting bigger and bigger with each comment...

15 hours ago, devgrp said:

Top video has no life. I thought it wasn't even playing. Bottom looks more believable. P3d is on its last leg

Funny, how we all think differently. This post, made me want to fire up P3D again, since Patch 2.  I felt the opposite, with MSFS's state of affairs at this time.  Yes..MSFS, will morph again, with the next, and succeeding patches..(I think...so....) so...what is today, could be non-relevant tomorrow.

Edited by Sesquashtoo

19 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Any noticeable difference you saw then just locking it from NCP ?

Roi Ben

@mtaxp

I'll drop out of that specific discussion here. I understand that you prefer XP. I prefer MSFS. Let's leave it that way.

Instead I'd like to point out something about the "bad scenery" of ortho images. While I have certainly witnessed horrible examples, MSFS indeed does a great job of solving that issue most of the times. You just don't notice when it does so - which is a good sign. 😄

Here an example:

BING imagery:

Notice the clearly visible color mismatch.

jeXovBt.png

Here is what MSFS does with it (view from the right side).

ZtJ6XPC.jpg

You do notice it a little in the bottom left corner. But if that's it, I am certainly happy with the result.

👍

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

11 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Any noticeable difference you saw then just locking it from NCP ?

Yes but I have no idea why?

With MSFS I have used NCP from day 1, but a lot of people talk so highly of RTSS about how its better for smooth frames. I have never used it with P3D because I use 2 screens (long story it does not work with 2 screens) but with only one screen with MSFS, so just like setting, you have to try and test these things yourself, not what anyone tells you. I did and I have to say it was so much smoother i had to do another flight in case the one I just did was a fluke. No it was also super smooth.

So RTSS does seem to be better, technically I have no idea why but on my PC with MSFS it is smoother than NCP lock.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

So RTSS does seem to be better, technically I have no idea why but on my PC with MSFS it is smoother than NCP lock.

Because it also helps with the frame time, and has less input lag than the Nvidia lock. 

RTSS is a CPU-level FPS limiter, and introduces up to 1 frame of delay, whereas Nvidia  uses a driver-level FPS limiter, which introduces 2 or more frames of delay.

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

17 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Yes but I have no idea why?

With MSFS I have used NCP from day 1, but a lot of people talk so highly of RTSS about how its better for smooth frames. I have never used it with P3D because I use 2 screens (long story it does not work with 2 screens) but with only one screen with MSFS, so just like setting, you have to try and test these things yourself, not what anyone tell you. I did and I have to say it was so much smoother i had to do another flight in case the one I just did was a fluke. No it was also super smooth.

I think my 5mb/s internet its what wont let me have LOD over a 100 without mega stutters flying to a new area.

Roi Ben

2 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Because it also helps with the frame time, and has less input lag than the Nvidia lock. 

RTSS is a CPU-level FPS limiter, and introduces up to 1 frame of delay, whereas Nvidia  uses a driver-level FPS limiter, which introduces 2 or more frames of delay.

We might not see eye to eye on somethings Ian, but you where one of the people I read and took note of about RTSS. So..

Thank you, and thank you for the info as to why its better. It is 🙂

• Upvote 1