Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

So I thought about firing up P3D and/or XP last night...

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Because it also helps with the frame time, and has less input lag than the Nvidia lock. 

RTSS is a CPU-level FPS limiter, and introduces up to 1 frame of delay, whereas Nvidia  uses a driver-level FPS limiter, which introduces 2 or more frames of delay.

I see. So is it possible to combine both ? e,g RTSS to 35 and Nvidia at 37 ? 

Roi Ben

4 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

I think my 5mb/s internet its what wont let me have LOD over a 100 without mega stutters flying to a new area.

Yer that's bad Roi, it's your bottle neck, mine is 75mb/s.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

10 hours ago, mtaxp said:

And as i mentioned earlier yet you refuse to read, this is a great example why claiming but "msfs looks better" does not debunk my claim about xp perf >>> msfs perf.

Means, x-plane cloud rendering is legacy they need to update for voxel and they even might *gain* perf since better graphics tech heavily uses gpu rather than slow legacy.

You're making it sound like that XP just needs to flip on a switch to get clouds as good as MSFS with the same performance. The raymarched clouds that Asobo created and the performance they have is no easy feat. They had top graphics engineers working at Asobo and it took them a while to get that working without a massive per4formance hit (based on interview with Asobo CEO).

There is very little chance that LR or even LM could easily accomplish the same anytime soon.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

13 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

I see. So is it possible to combine both ? e,g RTSS to 35 and Nvidia at 37 ? 

Yes, it is possible to combine both, however I have never tried this. Some people said it was good, but, that was on other games. 

RTSS only introduces up to 1 frame of delay, which is still preferable to the 2+ frame delay added by Nvidia’s limiter with G-SYNC enabled, and a far superior alternative to the 2-6 frame delay added by uncapped G-SYNC.

7 minutes ago, Slides said:

There is very little chance that LR or even LM could easily accomplish the same anytime soon.

Reference to freeware volumetric mod for XP incoming.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

Reference to freeware volumetric mod for XP incoming.

That mod is pretty good, especially considering its free. However MSFS clouds still are way ahead, as you would expect with that kind of budget, vs one sole developer working in his spare time whilst at college. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That mod is pretty good, especially considering its free. However MSFS clouds still are way ahead, as you would expect with that kind of budget, vs one sole developer working in his spare time whilst at college. 

Yeah... basically that's what makes XP great. Think of Better Pushback.

But I can't say much about the quality / performance of the volumetric clouds. The last thing I tinkered around in XP was the NOAA weather plugin. Since MSFS provides such things out of the box I don't have the nerves for that anymore. Besides, you can often clearly see the patchwork. For example with the constant, abrupt weather loading. Sometimes you end up in cloudy weather while being CAVOK the second before. No transition whatsoever.

I am sure there is a way to fix that as well... but at one point I just want to enjoy a flight. 😄

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

40 minutes ago, Slides said:

You're making it sound like that XP just needs to flip on a switch to get clouds as good as MSFS with the same performance. The raymarched clouds that Asobo created and the performance they have is no easy feat. They had top graphics engineers working at Asobo and it took them a while to get that working without a massive per4formance hit (based on interview with Asobo CEO).

Not easy, but even a sole engineer can make scaleable good clouds.

Sorry, you'll need to elaborate more about this "little" chance, what knowledge do you have in this other than quoting empty words from Asobo?

This "no way to be accomplished" tech has been out there, for Years.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yes, it is possible to combine both, however I have never tried this. Some people said it was good, but, that was on other games. ch

RTSS only introduces up to 1 frame of delay, which is still preferable to the 2+ frame delay added by Nvidia’s limiter with G-SYNC enabled, and a far superior alternative to the 2-6 frame delay added by uncapped G-SYNC.

Sorry to hijack this thread BTW 🙂 Never used XP so cant contribute much.

Ian, so if i get you right, if i use RTSS to limit then the CPU will work less and if i use NCP to limit the GPU will work less ? 

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

1 hour ago, tweekz said:

@mtaxp

I'll drop out of that specific discussion here. I understand that you prefer XP. I prefer MSFS. Let's leave it that way.

Instead I'd like to point out something about the "bad scenery" of ortho images. While I have certainly witnessed horrible examples, MSFS indeed does a great job of solving that issue most of the times. You just don't notice when it does so - which is a good sign. 😄

Here an example:

BING imagery:

Notice the clearly visible color mismatch.

jeXovBt.png

Here is what MSFS does with it (view from the right side).

ZtJ6XPC.jpg

You do notice it a little in the bottom left corner. But if that's it, I am certainly happy with the result.

👍

I have msfs and tested it, no need to explain what it does.

Now..what about baked clouds? Baked shadows? Baked cars? Low res imagery? Cencsored areas? Baked bridges on water? 

Solve that please, and this assuming the color correction works perfectly (far from it..nitpicking a shot does not prove nothing, and you still notice that seam there, easily)

Edited by mtaxp

12 hours ago, mtaxp said:

Wow effect for new shiny things will never go away in tech, in 10 years msfs will look dated.

Let's hope so because... WOW!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fppilot said:

Yes. Fly.

yes we have planes with autopilots that work, and planes that can fly in straight lines.

grab a beer and connect to vatsim in London on a saturday afternoon.  Take a remote stand in EGLL and listen to the contollers deal with the new wave of MS2020 kids that cant fly Directs, then shoot through ils, engines that shut down for no reason, they wont have any of the proper taxiways.  

I dont know how the vatsim controllers have the patience i really dont,  but its fun to listen to it unfold.   and then theres LOWI with kids in 748's  🙂  priceless. 

anyways they will be back on PUG, COD or GTA  next month when the "hype " runs out. 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

39 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

I have msfs and tested it, no need to explain what it does.

Now..what about baked clouds? Baked shadows? Baked cars? Low res imagery? Cencsored areas? Baked bridges on water? 

Solve that please, and this assuming the color correction works perfectly (far from it..nitpicking a shot does not prove nothing, and you still notice that seam there, easily)

The shot proves that there are ways to solve these things. The AI needs to get better to detect problems. But in general this approach is superior in terms of realism.

I prefer a few ugly spots and therefore being able to recognize the world, instead of filling it with fantasy textures.

• Like 4

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

5 hours ago, Novation said:

I don't know why you quoted me Robert, as that was not what my reaction was about, and I agree with you.  I'm simply fed up of threads where people who are devoted to one platform come in to bash, or try to prove their chosen sim is better, and that goes for MSFS users doing the same in the P3D and XP forums. If you look at some peoples post history, that is pretty much ALL they do, and it gets boring. The last post I made in the P3D area was to advise sticking with that platform as I didn't think that person would get a better experience with MSFS currently.  I have all the sims, going way back, but only use one at the moment, as it does all I want and need. I must admit I became fed up with XP for various reasons and was glad to get away from it, but I had P3D from the first, and very buggy version. I even did some stuff for LM's promotion side on the platform.

I shouldn't have picked on your post regarding fashion for the new - other comments were more inviting for that - so apologies. But I wanted to make the point that neophillia and its accompanying derision of older things that are not only still useable but also have outstanding qualities is an odd path to take. I see now that you are not in this group. Yes I also have used numerous sims and see qualities in all of them.

I've seen posts here that literally dismiss all other sims just because there is a new one. They do the same with high quality addons that they now consider past it. I do not understand this attitude. Rob A is quite measured in his comments and I do find his comparison video very revealing. I know he has invested a lot of energy into P3d but I don't think he is a tribal person and like most others, wants this new sim to be as good as the PR and hype suggested it would be. I don't see any harm in comparisons provided they are mindful of allowable teething problems that need to be ironed out.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

55 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Sorry to hijack this thread BTW 🙂 Never used XP so cant contribute much.

Ian, so if i get you right, if i use RTSS to limit then the CPU will work less and if i use NCP to limit the GPU will work less ? 

Check this out for a starter guide:-

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/11/

PS, RTSS provides better frame timing, which, is great for eliminating micro stutters...

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1